Odd Velocity behaviour in Rev 2.0 filter?

Odd Velocity behaviour in Rev 2.0 filter?
« on: May 23, 2018, 01:44:31 PM »
Can anyone tell me is this is normal? The Velocity Mod control in the filter section on my 16 voice Rev 2.0 seems to couple together actual key velocity AND filter envelope. For example if I turn ENV amount to '0' (centre) as I increase the VELOCITY control the envelope starts to have an effect on the Cut Off Freq. (in addition to increasing Velocity sensitivity)
I tried calibrating but it makes no difference. - Has anyone else noticed this or is a quirk (fault?) of my unit?
Thanks
JC

panic

Re: Odd Velocity behaviour in Rev 2.0 filter?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 07:21:04 AM »
It probably just works like on the prophet 08 (rev 1): the velocity knop sets the amount of velocity routed to the filter envelope amount (which is also the behavior you describe). I know the rev2 manual says otherwise, but I think the manual is wrong (it also talks about negative velocity amounts?). I don't have a rev 2, so you need someone else to verify, but I think your synth is behaving properly.
Solutions? There are two:
exact solution - use mod matrix to route velocity directly to cutoff frequency
partial solution - set delay, attack, decay to 0 on your filter envelope, and sustain to a desired value. set release to max (you will still hear the filter close slowly however)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:27:05 AM by panic »

Re: Odd Velocity behaviour in Rev 2.0 filter?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »
Yes, despite what the manual indicates, Filter Velocity affects the Envelope Amount and not Cutoff. You can verify this by setting Attack at 50%, Amount at 0%, and Velocity at 0%. Strike a key and there will be no attack. But increase Velocity and you'll start hearing the Attack the harder you strike. You can use panic's suggestion of Mod routing if you want to directly affect the Cutoff. Thank God/Dave for the mod matrix!