OB6 recreating those SEM arps... tips !

OB6 recreating those SEM arps... tips !
« on: May 21, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »
Hi all

Im the new owner of a ob6. I love the sem arps , i only have the arturia vs but have used it a lot.

So being a new owner I thought I would get down to having the same retro sounds.

I have found that the presets didnt do it for me. I've been at it for many hours now but dont seem to be able to nail it yet.

Any tips ?  I have found that the Ob6 often sounds too bright - I think a lot of sound of a good arp is the movement in the filter env - but i still find this envelope rather tricky - when i change the amount and the filter env amount it all gets quite confusing - it feels like its set up a little diff to an filter env that i would normally encounter what with its - + amounts on the env.

So has anyone else managed to get good SEM arp tones going ? Should I just go and buy and sem box and forget trying ?

I also found an odd thing - when using a sine , a pure one - the only one that can get the tone of the sem is the sub octave sine - the other on vco2 is a v dull sine - dont know why this is diff.

last question - sorry - is there any way of getting the sub octave to not be an octave down from the vco1 ?

thanks all

LoboLives

Re: OB6 recreating those SEM arps... tips !
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 05:34:06 PM »
I would try to add a touch of distortion, oscillator Slop and a bit of noise. I do that with my Prophet 6 and it helps get into those vintage tones.

No there is no way to separate the Sub Oscillator From Oscilator one.

Remeber the OB6 is not based on a classic SEM 2 voice, 6 voice or 8 voice synth. Those synths had no presets, and each individual SEM could be tuned and manipulated individually. The OB6 is more based on something like the OBX.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 05:40:54 PM »
Remeber the OB6 is not based on a classic SEM 2 voice, 6 voice or 8 voice synth. Those synths had no presets, and each individual SEM could be tuned and manipulated individually. The OB6 is more based on something like the OBX.

?

It's based on a SEM alright (as is an OB-X); by comparison, the OB-X lacks the SEM's state-variable filter, which the OB-6 has.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:42:30 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
I also found an odd thing - when using a sine , a pure one - the only one that can get the tone of the sem is the sub octave sine - the other on vco2 is a v dull sine - dont know why this is diff.

Which sine are you referring to? The only waveforms I was aware of on an original SEM are pulse and ramp/saw.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 06:40:56 PM »

?

It's based on a SEM alright (as is an OB-X); by comparison, the OB-X lacks the SEM's state-variable filter, which the OB-6 has.

I’m saying in terms of concept. Its based on a Polyphonic Oberheim not something like a 4 voice

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:48:28 PM »

?

Inclined to agree....Tom/Dave made this very clear as well.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 06:36:48 AM »
yes i heard a good comparison vid to the obx and it was able to sound v alike. I am getting half way there with the sem arp sound but not quite the same - finding it hard to ages to get the snappy envelope and finding the filter gets too bright. it maybe poss but its hard.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 06:45:58 AM »
A tip from me here - this one works well as a 'degrader of the ob sound - to give a vintage effect' - did'nt want to add
any effects but it does work well. Its a free effect - it does 'downgrade the ob sound a lot but does in a way work for me.

Its a recration of a VHS tape as a plug in - good retro downgrade sounds.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/11003/

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:55:16 AM »
Hi all

Im the new owner of a ob6. I love the sem arps , i only have the arturia vs but have used it a lot.

So being a new owner I thought I would get down to having the same retro sounds.

I have found that the presets didnt do it for me. I've been at it for many hours now but dont seem to be able to nail it yet.

Any tips ?  I have found that the Ob6 often sounds too bright - I think a lot of sound of a good arp is the movement in the filter env - but i still find this envelope rather tricky - when i change the amount and the filter env amount it all gets quite confusing - it feels like its set up a little diff to an filter env that i would normally encounter what with its - + amounts on the env.

So has anyone else managed to get good SEM arp tones going ? Should I just go and buy and sem box and forget trying ?

last question - sorry - is there any way of getting the sub octave to not be an octave down from the vco1 ?

thanks all

Maybe you could provide a link to the sound you are trying to emulate?

Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)