The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

OB6 recreating those SEM arps... tips !

OB6 recreating those SEM arps... tips !
« on: May 21, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »
Hi all

Im the new owner of a ob6. I love the sem arps , i only have the arturia vs but have used it a lot.

So being a new owner I thought I would get down to having the same retro sounds.

I have found that the presets didnt do it for me. I've been at it for many hours now but dont seem to be able to nail it yet.

Any tips ?  I have found that the Ob6 often sounds too bright - I think a lot of sound of a good arp is the movement in the filter env - but i still find this envelope rather tricky - when i change the amount and the filter env amount it all gets quite confusing - it feels like its set up a little diff to an filter env that i would normally encounter what with its - + amounts on the env.

So has anyone else managed to get good SEM arp tones going ? Should I just go and buy and sem box and forget trying ?

I also found an odd thing - when using a sine , a pure one - the only one that can get the tone of the sem is the sub octave sine - the other on vco2 is a v dull sine - dont know why this is diff.

last question - sorry - is there any way of getting the sub octave to not be an octave down from the vco1 ?

thanks all

Re: OB6 recreating those SEM arps... tips !
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 05:34:06 PM »
I would try to add a touch of distortion, oscillator Slop and a bit of noise. I do that with my Prophet 6 and it helps get into those vintage tones.

No there is no way to separate the Sub Oscillator From Oscilator one.

Remeber the OB6 is not based on a classic SEM 2 voice, 6 voice or 8 voice synth. Those synths had no presets, and each individual SEM could be tuned and manipulated individually. The OB6 is more based on something like the OBX.
Prophet 6, Prophet X, Moog Sub 37, Tempest Drum Computer, Roland V Piano, Fender American Stratocaster, Roger Linn Adrenalinn iii, Origin Effects Cali76 and SlideRig compressor, ASUS Zenbook Pro Computer, Soundcraft MTK 22 Mixer, Mark Of The Unicorn Digital Performer 10 Software.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 05:40:54 PM »
Remeber the OB6 is not based on a classic SEM 2 voice, 6 voice or 8 voice synth. Those synths had no presets, and each individual SEM could be tuned and manipulated individually. The OB6 is more based on something like the OBX.

?

It's based on a SEM alright (as is an OB-X); by comparison, the OB-X lacks the SEM's state-variable filter, which the OB-6 has.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:42:30 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Prophet 2000

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
I also found an odd thing - when using a sine , a pure one - the only one that can get the tone of the sem is the sub octave sine - the other on vco2 is a v dull sine - dont know why this is diff.

Which sine are you referring to? The only waveforms I was aware of on an original SEM are pulse and ramp/saw.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Prophet 2000

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 06:40:56 PM »

?

It's based on a SEM alright (as is an OB-X); by comparison, the OB-X lacks the SEM's state-variable filter, which the OB-6 has.

Iím saying in terms of concept. Its based on a Polyphonic Oberheim not something like a 4 voice
Prophet 6, Prophet X, Moog Sub 37, Tempest Drum Computer, Roland V Piano, Fender American Stratocaster, Roger Linn Adrenalinn iii, Origin Effects Cali76 and SlideRig compressor, ASUS Zenbook Pro Computer, Soundcraft MTK 22 Mixer, Mark Of The Unicorn Digital Performer 10 Software.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:48:28 PM »

?

Inclined to agree....Tom/Dave made this very clear as well.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 06:36:48 AM »
yes i heard a good comparison vid to the obx and it was able to sound v alike. I am getting half way there with the sem arp sound but not quite the same - finding it hard to ages to get the snappy envelope and finding the filter gets too bright. it maybe poss but its hard.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 06:45:58 AM »
A tip from me here - this one works well as a 'degrader of the ob sound - to give a vintage effect' - did'nt want to add
any effects but it does work well. Its a free effect - it does 'downgrade the ob sound a lot but does in a way work for me.

Its a recration of a VHS tape as a plug in - good retro downgrade sounds.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/11003/

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:55:16 AM »
Hi all

Im the new owner of a ob6. I love the sem arps , i only have the arturia vs but have used it a lot.

So being a new owner I thought I would get down to having the same retro sounds.

I have found that the presets didnt do it for me. I've been at it for many hours now but dont seem to be able to nail it yet.

Any tips ?  I have found that the Ob6 often sounds too bright - I think a lot of sound of a good arp is the movement in the filter env - but i still find this envelope rather tricky - when i change the amount and the filter env amount it all gets quite confusing - it feels like its set up a little diff to an filter env that i would normally encounter what with its - + amounts on the env.

So has anyone else managed to get good SEM arp tones going ? Should I just go and buy and sem box and forget trying ?

last question - sorry - is there any way of getting the sub octave to not be an octave down from the vco1 ?

thanks all

Maybe you could provide a link to the sound you are trying to emulate?

Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)