Bad Adventure with DSI Support (Solved)

Bad Adventure with DSI Support (Solved)
« on: May 14, 2018, 11:55:04 PM »
Hi, I'm Antonio from Italy.
two weeks ago, I contacted DSI support because I had the classic encoders problem.
They recommended a swap of the boards.
I installed the new boards and these work worse, the encoders jump continuously.
I wrote all this to DSI support and sent a video.
They tell me that everything is normal and that the boards are checked and verified before being shipped.
I've sent more videos in which other encoders jump continuously but DSi support no longer responds to my emails.
I reassembled the old boards, they work much better.
How is this possible? The DSI support left me alone.
Do I have to sell my REV 2?
I'm sad.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:30:20 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

aeonn

Re: Bad adventure with DSI support
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:10:54 AM »
Hey Antonio,

Have you updated the firmware of your Rev2 as well ? The newest versions corrected that issue a while ago. Also, keep in mind that the encoders work exponentially : if you scroll faster, it’s going to jump a bigger amount of values. If you scroll slowly, it should scroll steadily through the values.
I recommend to download the last firmware update and report back.

Hope that helps ;)

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:46:52 AM »
yes, my version is the last one.
The thing that makes me angry is that old boards work better.
so I think it's a quality problem for the encoders.
But I DSI service no longer responds.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:02:20 AM »
Hello Antonino.

I also had problems with the encoders on my REV2, and it was fixed by replacing both front panel boards.
It has happened once that DSI support took a little longer to reply to my emails, because the guy responsible for my case was sick (which I didn't know at the time). A few days later he responded and apologized for the delay explaining why.
The DSI support team is made up of a small group of human beings that are dedicated and eager to help customers anyway they can.

So if it sometimes take a little longer to get replies from them, just be patient. I'm sure that you'll eventually get one.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 01:56:43 PM »
The problem is that I have already changed the boards.
even the new ones have problems, the encoders jump all. I had to put old boards back to limit the problem.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 03:22:42 PM »
If I am not mistaken, there is another forum member who has had the exact same experience as you, with the replacement boards being worse than the defective ones. I think everything turned out okay in his case...
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

dp

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 12:34:36 PM »
Very similar, if not exact same, experience. Two different boards, second one being worse. Firmware updated and all. Initial reply from support was " Although the encoders on the Rev2 are within specification..." and then they continue to explain (technically) why I'm having the issue ... which they are saying is "within specification." So in the end, it's that they are OK with this issue. Blunt, but seems the case

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »
I think I’m having the issue too. My resonance knob is jumping all over the place. What do I do?

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with your Rev2. The best course of action is to contact our dedicated support channel:

support (at) davesmithinstruments.com

We will get you back up and running right away.
Thanks!
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 11:08:16 PM »
I think I’m having the issue too. My resonance knob is jumping all over the place. What do I do?

Had the same issue with osc slop. Advised to turn it all the way around about 150 times. Actually worked, so give it go.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 01:43:54 AM »
Yes, but lot of tipical problems are with the encoders...
Osc slop is potentiometer  :)

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 09:39:01 AM »

The same principle applies for both. The idea is that by rotating vigorously several times the oxidation that might have occured will be partly cleaned by friction of the potentiometer/rotary encoder wiper rubbing against the carbon trace/contact points inside. It's not a definitive solution nor is it a guaranteed success at cleaning the oxidation. Sometimes it might even be the silicon lubricant that makes the potentiometer/encoder shaft turn smoothly that will "leak" down onto the surface contacts inside (bad quality component). And in that case, no amount of turning will fix that. The only solution would be to open the potentiometer/encoder and thoroughly clean the contact surfaces, or to replace the device entirely with a new one.

That's coming from 30 years experience as an electronics hobbyist.

dp

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 09:01:42 AM »

The same principle applies for both. The idea is that by rotating vigorously several times the oxidation that might have occured will be partly cleaned by friction of the potentiometer/rotary encoder wiper rubbing against the carbon trace/contact points inside. It's not a definitive solution nor is it a guaranteed success at cleaning the oxidation. Sometimes it might even be the silicon lubricant that makes the potentiometer/encoder shaft turn smoothly that will "leak" down onto the surface contacts inside (bad quality component). And in that case, no amount of turning will fix that. The only solution would be to open the potentiometer/encoder and thoroughly clean the contact surfaces, or to replace the device entirely with a new one.

That's coming from 30 years experience as an electronics hobbyist.

Thanks for this, Alain

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »

Thanks for this, Alain

You're welcome.  :)

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 01:03:35 AM »
No more answers after two weeks.
I sent another email by opening another request, no reply.
Maybe there is a black list mail or do not answer because I'm Italian from Sicily.
I do not know what to think. :'(

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 10:18:19 AM »
Did you try calling them on the phone?

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 08:57:30 PM »
I did not call by phone because I do not speak English well.
this situation made me sad.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »
Antonio, is there any possibility that you may be able to return your defective REV2 for another REV2 from the store where you purchased it??  As I’m certain not all REV2 has these issues, mine has no problems I just adore it. 
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

Mauro

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 05:37:41 AM »

I did not call by phone because I do not speak English well.
this situation made me sad.
Ciao Antonio, come è finita poi la faccenda? Io ho avuto un problema, meno grave del tuo, con il mio rev2, e me lo hanno risolto immediatamente. Era alla mod wheel e me ne hanno mandata una nuova da sostituire in pochi giorni. Nel mio caso hanno risolto molto velocemente, quindi non credo abbiano pregiudizi sugli italiani....  Forse la soluzione può essere rivolgersi al negozio dove l'hai comperato, di sicuro è ancora in garanzia.
Spero che tu risolva, e se posso aiutarti lo farò volentieri, adoro questo strumento e credo valga la pena di averlo perfettamente funzionante, e dalla mia esperienza ho avuto l'impressione che DSI dia un buon supporto ai clienti.
Ciao e buona giornata.

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 06:55:43 AM »
Grazie della tua disponibilità, alla fine dopo varie attese ho sostituito le Boards per la seconda volta, stessi problemi, ho mandato i video che dimostravano tutto, e nulla, per loro è normale.
Mi arrabbio perché dico: cioè ma se all’inizio mi dite che è un problema il fatto che gli encoder saltano, com’è che ora che saltano il doppio è tutto normale?? Boh...
comunque ho visto che girando molto lentamente funzionano normalmente quindi sarà un problema di software o non so più cosa.
A mio avviso hanno sbagliato qualcosa sulla compatibilità di questi encoder , sul Prophet 08 quelli della II generazione erano ottimi davvero.