Create Shepard Tone

Create Shepard Tone
« on: May 08, 2018, 02:33:51 PM »
Hi All,

Has anybody got an idea how to create a Shepard Tone "aka infinite scale' on the Prophet Rev2?

It seemed so easy making it with the Microkorg (video below) but somehow I could not replicate the effect on the Prophet.

Thank you!

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Create Shepard Tone
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:13:38 PM »
The link says, "This video does not exist".

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 04:47:27 AM »
The link says, "This video does not exist".

This link works for me:

Having said that, it may not be possible on rev2 because it appears to rely on some "endless scale"
feature of the microkorg which to the best of my knowledge has no equivalent on a rev2 (but don't take
my word for it - i'm a beginner myself).
--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »
I've watched the video below instead (done and explained on a modular system), and realized that it wouldn't be possible on a REV2 because it's not possible to control the VCA levels of each oscillator independently. I tried to get another way to control the volume of each oscillator spearately but couldn't come up with a way to do that. If someone has an idea how, I'm all ears.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 07:59:23 AM »
I've watched the video below instead (done and explained on a modular system), and realized that it wouldn't be possible on a REV2 because it's not possible to control the VCA levels of each oscillator independently. I tried to get another way to control the volume of each oscillator spearately but couldn't come up with a way to do that. If someone has an idea how, I'm all ears.

You can control each oscillator's Level via the gated sequencer, EG, LFO, etc.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 08:06:22 AM »

There's are no individual destinations for OSC levels, only the OSC MIX. So how would it be possible to control the level of each one separately ?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »

There's are no individual destinations for OSC levels, only the OSC MIX. So how would it be possible to control the level of each one separately ?
Ah well Osc 1 Level only. (Which is kind of weird.) Some options that I can see:
1) Use stacked patches and modulate the VCA
2) Use Osc 1 Level and Osc Mix as destinations. It would just require more fiddling to get the levels right by using Osc Mix mostly to bring Osc 2 in and out and Osc Level 1 to try to get the blend right.
3) Use a delay (single repeat, wet signal as loud as the dry) as the 2nd oscillator that's set to repeat at the peak of the wave

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 09:25:49 AM »
Of course, stack mode. Why didn't I think of that ? Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm almost there, I just have to get the levels right and in the right order...

EDIT: got it. There's only a slight click when the switching occurs (as per the video link I provided on the modular system).
And I've done the raising picth version.

It's a bit convoluted because we don't have access to individual oscillator levels. Also, I had to use the Distortion effect to raise the levels a bit. I'm using the LFOs to modulate the OSC MIX parameter.
So, in Stack Mode, layer A is the higher frequency, and layer B the lower one. The level of A starts off at full and decreases (via a Sawtooth LFO), and layer B starts off at silent level and rises (via a Rev Saw LFO). Needless to say that all LFOs have to be in sync with each other using the Key Sync (and in my case also CLK Sync so I can control the speed of all LFOs via the BPM knob).

Here's the sysex file of that stacked patch (will load to U1 P50 location) and best if middle G is played:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:58:57 AM by AlainHubert »

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
Fantastic! I tried it and it works convincing enough. Thank you!

Of course, stack mode. Why didn't I think of that ? Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm almost there, I just have to get the levels right and in the right order...

EDIT: got it. There's only a slight click when the switching occurs (as per the video link I provided on the modular system).
And I've done the raising picth version.

It's a bit convoluted because we don't have access to individual oscillator levels. Also, I had to use the Distortion effect to raise the levels a bit. I'm using the LFOs to modulate the OSC MIX parameter.
So, in Stack Mode, layer A is the higher frequency, and layer B the lower one. The level of A starts off at full and decreases (via a Sawtooth LFO), and layer B starts off at silent level and rises (via a Rev Saw LFO). Needless to say that all LFOs have to be in sync with each other using the Key Sync (and in my case also CLK Sync so I can control the speed of all LFOs via the BPM knob).

Here's the sysex file of that stacked patch (will load to U1 P50 location) and best if middle G is played:

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »
Nice one, AlainHubert! A little bit of that sudden "click" when the wave cycle ends but that can be smeared with chorus and/or reverb.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 10:58:01 PM »
Thanks. But I had great help from Stephen Mendes and his videos on his modular system.

aeonn

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 07:06:17 AM »
Hey,

I tried a different approach on the Shepard Tone with the Rev2. I used only one layer at a time, and used the third envelope to modulate both oscillators pitch. The oscillators are set with an octave apart. To avoid the clicking issue I used a longer attack envelope. The VCA envelope is very long, allowing to retrigger the notes to stack them. To make is smoother I recorded a basic sequence in the poly sequencer so it's triggered evenly. Then I used the stereo delay to drench it and to blur the begining and the end of the notes as much as possible. There is a slight filter modulation at play, because I wanted to emphasise the middle range of the notes (when they hit the maximum amplitude), so it's also a very slow opening and decaying filter sweep.

It's not perfect, but it's a different flavor of a shepard tone on the rev2 ;)

So once you load the patch, hit "play" and the sequence will start. It's up the you to change the notes of the sequence afterwards.

Here is the Patch : Layer A is the ascending version, layer B is the descending version.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:07:55 AM by aeonn »