Lost my job. Then placed an order for the Prophet X.

LoboLives

Lost my job. Then placed an order for the Prophet X.
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:20:49 AM »
Yeah you read the order of that right. After five years of working at my job, they decided to let me go. Purely a business decision but still annoyingly abrupt. I decided that if I am to take my love of music and film and other things seriously, this is the time to do it. Too long I've been struggling with the work/life balance. I've been putting off studio time, putting off writing, and most importantly. Recording with my dad. Being the son of the vocalist/guitarist/pianist of a classic 70s rock band Steel River, the love of music really does trickle down the family tree. For so long we've both been saying we are going to get stuff done but work and just generally life kept getting in the way. Honestly over the past few years we've bonded more than ever before. Recently over the Prophet X. I felt a personal connection to it, I suppose because it's literally everything I predicted it would be (even down to the name lol) but also because my dad and I couldn't stop talking about it when it was announced.

After I told him I got laid off, he and I had a big talk and we went over to a music store. Without any hesitation he put a down payment on the Prophet X. "This is our synth." he said. "Now, let's get more videos on your youtube channel going, get you a Soundcloud account, and look into things like Patreon. If you want to do this seriously, let's take it seriously."

For me the Prophet X was always something I was going to love because of my personal connection with it, but now it's become a symbol for me. A symbol between the bond of a father and son.

ddp

Re: Lost my job. Then placed an order for the Prophet X.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »
After I told him I got laid off, he and I had a big talk and we went over to a music store. Without any hesitation he put a down payment on the Prophet X. "This is our synth." he said. "Now, let's get more videos on your youtube channel going, get you a Soundcloud account, and look into things like Patreon. If you want to do this seriously, let's take it seriously."

For me the Prophet X was always something I was going to love because of my personal connection with it, but now it's become a symbol for me. A symbol between the bond of a father and son.

You have a very nice dad!
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

niagarasynths

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 11:03:55 AM »
Is that Steel River from the Hammer....."Southbound Train"? If so , one of my cherished memories from High School.

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »
Is that Steel River from the Hammer....."Southbound Train"? If so , one of my cherished memories from High School.

Yes. Same one.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 11:34:53 AM »
Now that was a beautiful story.  It's rare that a father and son can share something like this.  Treasure it.  I'm glad you're going for that Prophet X, LoboLives.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:05:40 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »
Now that was a beautiful story.  It's rare that a father and son can share something like this.  Treasure it.  I'm glad you're going for that Prophet X, LoboLoves.

I mean given I pretty much predicted it down to the letter, I'd almost HAVE to at this point.

jg666

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 02:10:58 PM »
Hope everything goes well for you in the future :) I had problems at work a year or so ago and I took the option of cutting down to 2 days a week and it’s brilliant for me. I can play golf more often and fiddle with my keyboards most days :) I’m coming up to 57 so I don’t have many expenses in life these days ;)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 05:26:52 PM »
Read your post and thought of that TV show "This is Us." Thank you for sharing your story. I just happened to be cutting some onions when I was reading it.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 06:45:37 PM »
What an amazing story.  I'm sorry about the job, but it's always amazing to see what we can do when motivated – doubly so when the people in our lives step up and provide encouragement and support.  I'm sure you know by now how amazingly rare your father is.

... and congratulations on your incoming Prophet X!

chysn

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 07:38:09 PM »
Jobs come and go. Family is forever. Enjoy your time!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

dsetto

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 09:10:57 PM »
Lovely. This has been your synth. Not a bad 4-handed synth, as well.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 09:51:54 PM »
Thank you for sharing LoboLives, a moving real live story. You are very fortunate to be able to spent quality time with your father sharing your love for music together. No onions in sight, but I did have to put a small tear away (my father passed away when he was 59 - in August this year I will reach that ripe age myself ...).

Really good luck and let me know as soon as you can when you have your Patreon site up. I am so looking forward to hearing what you can produce with the Prophet X.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 01:04:02 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your job situation, LoboLives, but happy to see that you can use it as an opportunity. It's great that you share a passion with your dad and that both of you can bond over what truly enriches your lifes. I wish you the best of luck with starting anew and many joyous hours with the Prophet X. I knew from the get-go that you'd probably be the first one in this forum to place a pre-order for this instrument.  ;)

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 10:22:16 AM »
Yeah you read the order of that right. After five years of working at my job, they decided to let me go. Purely a business decision but still annoyingly abrupt. I decided that if I am to take my love of music and film and other things seriously, this is the time to do it. Too long I've been struggling with the work/life balance. I've been putting off studio time, putting off writing, and most importantly. Recording with my dad. Being the son of the vocalist/guitarist/pianist of a classic 70s rock band Steel River, the love of music really does trickle down the family tree. For so long we've both been saying we are going to get stuff done but work and just generally life kept getting in the way. Honestly over the past few years we've bonded more than ever before. Recently over the Prophet X. I felt a personal connection to it, I suppose because it's literally everything I predicted it would be (even down to the name lol) but also because my dad and I couldn't stop talking about it when it was announced.

This story is beyond buying a synth. Thank you for sharing.

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 08:23:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  Amazing story!  I can't say that I am making a living off of - but I used to.  I do have some insight into the TV/Film music libraries that I'd be willing to share with you.  PM me if you want to talk.

Jim
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 09:26:08 PM »
Thank you all for the amazingly kind words and support. When the eagle lands I’ll set it up right away and pump some tracks out. I already have a few covers in mind to warm things up :)

DiScO

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »
Thank you all for the amazingly kind words and support. When the eagle lands I’ll set it up right away and pump some tracks out. I already have a few covers in mind to warm things up :)

Excellent! I never got the opportunity with my dad as I wanted to unfortunately, so I whole heartedly wish you all the best with that and cherish every moment.

Sincerely,

Adrian.

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 05:59:55 AM »
great story. i come to believe, that when you really want... i mean REALLY want things... they happen to become true... so go rock the show!!!
(..and who cares for the job... you can find another, if you want to :-))

LoboLives

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 11:48:43 AM »
great story. i come to believe, that when you really want... i mean REALLY want things... they happen to become true... so go rock the show!!!
(..and who cares for the job... you can find another, if you want to :-))

Thanks!

Yeah for sure about the job. When I was leaving they gave me a backhanded compliment "Remember you aren't losing a job, we are losing a top of the line employee." As annoyed as I was with that remark, after updating my resume, I guess there's truth to it. lol

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 03:20:21 AM »
I am currently working really hard in my job to save up to get a Prophet X!  :)

Pretty cool dad  ;) Nice story!