is choosing the Rev2 too risky?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: is choosing the Rev2 too risky?
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
well.. regarding the encoders, I'm not impressed at all... I bought a REV2 twice (keys both times) and both times the encoder for changing programs is quirky... in exactly the same way... it jumps two numbers quite often with just one click... why it only happens with the program encoder i do not know... sometimes it makes selecting programs a bit confusing because it simply skips a number and you don't see it, only to find out you have the wrong program up.

I've never been a fan of encoders simply because they so easily start to jump about... other than that i find the quality to be quite good actually...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »
well.. regarding the encoders, I'm not impressed at all... I bought a REV2 twice (keys both times) and both times the encoder for changing programs is quirky... in exactly the same way... it jumps two numbers quite often with just one click... why it only happens with the program encoder i do not know... sometimes it makes selecting programs a bit confusing because it simply skips a number and you don't see it, only to find out you have the wrong program up.

Wonder if that could be a software related issue? Best advice would be to report the error to support and ask them for a fix to the problem as its very annoying for the user.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2018, 12:59:52 PM »
Yes!!  My Rev2 encoder when changing/selecting programs is super quirky as well!  It jumps and skips programs every time.  Could there be a fix for this in a software update?
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2018, 01:01:21 PM »
Oh btw, I would buy a rev2 again even with the jumpy encoder, just wondering if it’s a software issue that could possibly have a fix?
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com

Kja

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2018, 01:37:18 PM »
Not sure myself, I have a prophet 6 not a rev2, but I do know that while annoying, that's not really a wear issue or a sign of failure, just that it is not as precise a encoder as it should be to do what its trying to do. Not really a issue of quality either really but the best encoders are usually very precise.

I have a completely handbuilt mono that has a very high quality encoder on it but its just one compared to the many dsi need for a build and it cost a lot! Its not even the best either but way better but if they used these it would raise the price a hundred or so maybe more? Not sure its worth it and dsi's encoders will last just as long, probably longer than the pots... So just can't you try twice sometimes? Is it that big a deal? I don't work for dsi but sheesh it seems to be a small issue.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2018, 02:09:40 PM »
^^ haha, you are so very right!  It’s no big deal to just turn the encoder one more time, truth is I’m stuck in Bogotá airport on a delayed flight so I guess I became a nitpicker!!!   :-*
www.syzygyxmusic.com

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2018, 11:46:36 PM »
Nitpicking or not, it IS annoying, and I would not mind paying a bit more for better encoders... Another problem is, that encoders tend to start failing more and more with time... A double skip here and there can be reasoned with, but when they start to fail a click or even jump up and down, then my patience will be gone.

A solution that would have helped on the REV2 was if it had been given two inc/dec buttons for the program encoder like a lot of other synths has.

Still, I see no problem in people speaking up about this, if they find it a nuisance... If you are performing live, an unnoticed skip in programs could be really annoying. Another thing is, that the reason I am actually writing this is because my other encoders dont skip like that... I am wondering if it is a software problem since I experienced this one and the same encoder skipping like this on two separate machines... If this problem can be bettered via a software fix, why not?

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2018, 12:21:58 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the software acceleration (where values will step by more than one when the encoders are turned quickly) doesn't help matters...

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2018, 12:27:54 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the software acceleration (where values will step by more than one when the encoders are turned quickly) doesn't help matters...

I would suspect that as a culprit yes... but is this only active on the Program encounter perhaps? ... my other encoders do not skip like the Program encoder, so maybe this acceleration code is only present for the Program encoder? ... in that case, I'd like a fix that allow me to simply switch off the acceleration feature.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2018, 12:36:26 AM »
Edit to my other posts: it's basically all encoders that do this... I had to test this thoroughly, and it's just the way these encoders work... you just don't notice it on the other encoders as much because you use the Program encoder that much more.

If it's a result of the encoder themselves, or the acceleration code is hard to say... I can live with it as long as they do not oxydize like earlier DSI encoders did, skipping values up and down, going up when you are going down and vice versa... I do hope though, that if DSI can do something software wise to better it, that they would... I think they already did this once though, if I remember correctly.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2018, 03:48:29 PM »
Encoder improvements have been implemented in the latest 1.1.4.4 OS version.  It can be found here:

https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1531.0.html
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

MPM

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2018, 04:39:09 AM »
Encoder improvements have been implemented in the latest 1.1.4.4 OS version.

This is great! Anyone tried it out?
Is it a big improvement?
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2018, 05:26:08 AM »
Yes I did, like many other members here, and it is a HUGE improvement, as others have also reported. All my encoders now work absolutely perfectly. No more skipping or erratic behavior at all, even after several hours of programming and tweaking.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2018, 09:56:29 AM »
No more skipping values! Thanks DSI!

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2018, 08:25:16 AM »
Was about to pull the trigger on the Rev2 and I read that many owners had issues with the Encoders. Is it safe now after the latest update?

The reason I'm asking is because I have no local dealer in my country (Singapore) and have no experience soldering, so any repairs would require me to send the unit back overseas which will cost a bomb.
DSI Prophet Rev2, Access Virus TI, Moog Sirin, Ableton Live

jg666

« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2018, 08:58:00 AM »
Was about to pull the trigger on the Rev2 and I read that many owners had issues with the Encoders. Is it safe now after the latest update?

The reason I'm asking is because I have no local dealer in my country (Singapore) and have no experience soldering, so any repairs would require me to send the unit back overseas which will cost a bomb.

The latest firmware update has solved this problem for people who were experiencing problems with the encoders (as far as I know)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »
Having had problems with encoders, I can confirm that the problem has been definitely resolved completely with the latest firmware update.

MPM

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2018, 10:56:01 PM »
Brilliant now.
Not that this one was bad anyway, but now, Encoders, perfect.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids