is choosing the Rev2 too risky?

is choosing the Rev2 too risky?
« on: May 13, 2018, 04:47:50 AM »
I just spent a couple of days testing the P6 and Rev2 side by side, and loving both despite the differences.
What turned it for me was when I played the 16voice Rev2 with identical patches A+B layered as 8 voice Unison, with some slop on the B patch. And that was good enough to decide on it for me and my Rev2 was ordered.

But, now I found this forum. All I see here in the Rev2 section is problem after problem, and excuses, which simply don't result in magical solutions. The P6 forum is relatively hassle free. And the OB6 forum is glowing with praise.
I'm a Nord user of 20 years and cant ever remember reading a single issue like I have here for the Rev2, and any other problems with a P5, Roland and Korg I had were due to OLD age. I can't help but think that I'm buying into trouble with the Rev2, so I am going to cancel my Rev2 order. And given the way that you people have been treated by DSI, I am going to avoid this company altogether.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:37:57 PM by Robot Heart »

jg666

Re: is choosing the Rev2 too risky?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 06:07:14 AM »
It’s the nature of all forums to have many more people with problems than those just praising:) I’ve never regretted buying my Rev2 and it’s my favourite synth.

Take a look at Yamaha’s forums and see what complaints and moans are on there..... the DSI forums are positively peaceful compared with those !
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 09:09:19 AM »
I wouldn't give you direct advice, since I know nothing about you, but I would at least encourage you not to give up on DSI.  The fact is, they treat their customers extremely well.  There are differences here at times, that is for sure, but often both parties are to blame.  I've been dealing with DSI since 2008, and have received only the best treatment; no complaints at all.  The problem is when people demand this or that with an impatient entitlement mentality.  No one likes that.  And some problems just take time to resolve.

You can always give that Rev2 a try after all.  Form your opinions based on your own immediate experiences, rather than the blather that fills a forum.  Besides, because this is the official DSI forum, this is the place where all the complaints will be concentrated.  If you don't like the Rev2, return it and move on.  But don't unnecessarily cut yourself off from a superb company and a superb line of instruments.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:15:49 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 09:15:06 AM »
I just spent a couple of days testing the P6 and Rev2 side by side, and loving both despite the differences.
What turned it for me was when I played the 16voice Rev2 with identical patches A+B layered as 8 voice Unison, with some slop on the B patch. And that was good enough to decide on it for me and my Rev2 was ordered.

But, now I found this forum. All I see here in the Rev2 section is problem after problem, and excuses, which simply don't result in magical solutions. The P6 forum is relatively hassle free. And the OB6 forum is glowing with praise.
I'm a Nord user of 20 years and cant ever remember reading a single issue like I have here for the Rev2, and any other problems with a P5, Roland and Korg I had were due to OLD age. I can't help but think that I'm buying into trouble with the Rev2, so I am going to cancel my Rev2 order. And given the way that you people have been treated by DSI, I am going to avoid this company altogether.
That is really sad. I can tell you my own personal experience since I own a brand new Rev2 and a second hand Evolver desktop. Given that you posted here in the forum I believe you are interested in other input  :)

I am a Rev2 early adopter, reading this forum I had similar thoughts. The Rev2 was also my very first DSI instrument.

As a newly developed electronic musical instrument it is to be expected bugs and issues show up. DSI is very responsive (use their support email address not just this forum) and have issued several new firmware releases that fixed several bugs and even implemented new features (copy / paste patches etc.). I am very happy with my Rev2. I noticed only one or two of the early bugs, but only after I deliberately checked it out. I am on the latest firmware version and my Rev2 is totally reliable, no issues whatsoever.

My experience with the Evolver Desktop is truly amazing. This synth was the very first instrument Dave Smith Industries bought out, I believe sometime in 2002. Mine is about 15 years old, it had the second revision factory firmware ICs installed. I got it second hand about 6 months ago, two of the original encoder tops were missing .

I wanted to upgrade it's IC, the firmware and install new encoder tops. I still could order the IC and new tops from DSI. They delivered promptly and within an hour I had the IC installed, new encoder tops mounted and could upgrade the firmware.

The Evolver runs like a train. No issues. I thought I discovered an issue yesterday, driving it via MIDI from an Elektron Digitone. But as often is the case, it was simple user misunderstanding that I remedied reading the manual and changing the configuration.

I hope you won't give up on DSI. My experience with the Rev2 and the Evolver have made me want to investigate and possibly purchase another instrument from them. I trust DSI now.

DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

ddp

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »
I'm a Nord user of 20 years and cant ever remember reading a single issue like I have here for the Rev2...
I was a Nord user for only a relatively painful two years, but off the top of my head, I can think of several issues: knocking keys on Piano 3, insufficient sample memory in the Piano series, inferior B3/Leslie simulation in the Stage 3, crippled DualKB in the Stage 3, inferior Stage 3 88 piano velocity curves, incomplete Nord Piano and Sample Libraries for the Stage 3, missing Sample Editor for the Stage 3, mod wheel connector in Stage 3 Compact, audio hum in the Drum 3P, whacky and constantly changing MIDI implementations, mediocre keybeds, especially in the Lead, and I'd argue, Piano series.

A combination of these led me to buy and sell a Piano 3, Lead A1, Drum 3P, and Stage 3.  I've held onto a Lead 3 and Rack 3 because I like the LED ring knobs and its the only Lead with morphable aftertouch.  Yes. they removed aftertouch in the Lead 4.  It seems not all Nords are created equal.  Read the manual completely before you buy one although they're now also known for removing features and reprinting the manual (DualKB in Stage 3 OS 1.24).  Also don't expect to find help in the Nord forums from Clavia.  They do not participate in them and I'd say it's unclear if they even read them.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »
No way man do not cancel your REV2 order!!!  It is the most amazing synthesizer, I have had mine for 3 months and I have ZERO problems with mine....give it a chance play with it when it arrives.  I’m sure it will be fine with no problems.
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 03:55:24 PM »
There are two things that I really despise in life as input devices: rotary digital encoders, and TACT switches. Why? Because 99.9% of the time those crappy things fail to work properly at some point in time. And DSI uses a LOT of them. Propbably because they're inexpensive POS when bought in bulk.

That being said, I still love my DSI OB6 Desktop, which is almost flawless reliability wise, but I'm thinking of getting rid of my REV2 16 keyboard eventually, in part for its lack of reliability (both front panel boards had to be replaced because of faulty encoders under warranty after only a few weeks of light use) but more for the "peculiar sound" of those DSI120/PA397 chips (which I thought I could maybe learn to like, but alas not).

EDIT: if you're wondering why I said "almost flawless reliability" about my beloved OB6, it's because of, you've guessed it, some of its encoders are sometimes "flaky", skipping values or not changing values at all when turned one click. Luckily, there aren't many of them on the OB6 and turning them vigorously a few times usually "wakes them up" so that they"ll work right for a while, until they get "lazy" again. Probably an internal oxidation of the contacts problem.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:07:50 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

ddp

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 04:22:13 PM »
Hum, the encoders on my rev2/16 are fine, in fact I rather like DSI's knobs on both the P6 and the rev2.  I do hope DSI takes a long hard look at the LED ring knobs that Clavia used on the Lead 3, the same kind that are on the top left of the Montage.  They're great because when you change patches, they update; so no need to hunt around for the patch point.  It's really more than that.  They accurately reflect the values as you play.  So lets say you mod aftertouch onto filter cutoff frequency.  On the Lead 3 then, as you're playing, if you press harder, you'll see the level of the LED ring knob for filter cutoff change on the fly.  And the Rack 3 is similarly magic as a module.  I really can't say enough good things about the Lead 3.  It needed a better keybed, and alternate tunings would have been nice, but it's amazing for what it is, 24 voices, 4 part multitimbral in 14lb (6.3kg).  Mine's even been dropped on its front right corner, slightly denting the frame, and yet doesn't seem to be any worse for wear.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:09:45 PM by ddp »
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

dsetto

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 07:45:15 AM »
What they all said! I began with a Tempest recently and had similar concerns. I believe my online impression was skewed. Based on my experience with the T, and a matching of possibility, I pre-ordered the Rev2 within a day or two of announcement- after getting a satisfying answer on the implementation of the digital effects. I have no problems with mine.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 11:04:51 AM »
No one product from any company is ever without its quirks, but my Rev 2 hasn't given me any problems.  It's a high quality product.  Plus there are vst plugin editors for them, or midi switches/controllers if you arent happy with the way they went about the user experience on the front panel (which is still pretty darn good).

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »
The REV2 is built like a tank; however, it could use some kinks ironed out via software, which if implemented would greatly reduce a number of cumbersome or odd aspects. It's an unfair assessment to claim users are being  "impatient" when treated with hand-waving that these things don't fit a certain "philosophy" and won't even be entertained. Yet my experience with DSI outside of the forum has always been highly helpful. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:19:58 PM by Sleep of Reason »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 09:02:43 PM »
Some users are impatient, not all.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 09:47:57 PM »

Sunny, what did you do in the end?

MPM

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 05:56:22 PM »
Sunny, It’s totally worth it. Do it.

After buying one last year that was a dud, I decided to get a new one a few weeks ago.
I won’t go into specifics on the dud, because the store fully refunded after a day of testing. And that is exactly what you can do if you don’t like what you get. By the way, DSI also gave rapid assistance via email before I returned to the store.

I felt concerned making the decision to get another Rev2, but after months of trying to emulate a previously owned Prophet 08 on my Lead 4 (sounds similar, but different vibe), I had to have some faith in DSI again.

So far the only issue is the skipping of of a parameter/value while turning the pots. Appears to be very sensitive.
Even so, my impression so far is really positive. And if this keeps up for a while I’ll be budgeting for a complimentary DSI OB6.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 12:39:33 PM »
I'm also considering buying a REV 2. Just because I want to turn knobs while playing the instrument. Not having to use the mouse. The REV 2 looks and sounds amazing but now that I have read quite some bad stories about it (malfunctioning straight from the box) I'm hesitant.

Are there also people have bought a REV 2 and never had any issues? I could replace boards in a synth but I'm not going to fix something I've just purchased.

Thanks

Ron

jg666

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 12:47:23 PM »
I'm also considering buying a REV 2. Just because I want to turn knobs while playing the instrument. Not having to use the mouse. The REV 2 looks and sounds amazing but now that I have read quite some bad stories about it (malfunctioning straight from the box) I'm hesitant.

Are there also people have bought a REV 2 and never had any issues? I could replace boards in a synth but I'm not going to fix something I've just purchased.

Thanks

Ron

I’ve not had any problems and I suspect the majority of people who’ve bought it are also the same. Don’t forget that people don’t post on the internet saying ‘I bought a Rev 2 and it works perfectly’ :) People usually join forums to either ask questions about their purchase or to report problems
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »

Thanks

Ron
No issues, from my side. I am an early adopter (from the Netherlands).  The issues reported during the first few months have all been resolved with software updates. My Rev2 purrs like a kitten and can scream as an overheating kettle, I totally love it. I also do trust DSI's customer support, very very good indeed.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 10:58:31 PM »
No issues with mine or the Tetra, Evolver, and PolyEvolver I've had in the past.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 11:51:14 PM »
I had to replace the boards (on my 16 voice) and would hope there's a great deal of leniency given in regards to early adopters beyond the one year warranty. Just as I understand no tech product is launched without some hiccups. I also still think it's the best bang for the buck if you're in the market for an analog synth.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 04:16:32 AM »
 :D well said. No problems here and I love the rev 2 which is my first hardware. I also have to say that dsi support is great and very responsive.

Thanks

Ron
No issues, from my side. I am an early adopter (from the Netherlands).  The issues reported during the first few months have all been resolved with software updates. My Rev2 purrs like a kitten and can scream as an overheating kettle, I totally love it. I also do trust DSI's customer support, very very good indeed.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice