is choosing the Rev2 too risky?

LoboLives

Re: is choosing the Rev2 too risky?
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »
I'm glad they're factory made as I wouldn't be able to afford one otherwise. When you think about the Rev2 being at the same price point as a Korg Prologue or even compared to the Behringer DM12, which was still a third cheaper per voice but without a 2nd OSC, menu-diving galore & a meh sound sans makeup ... it's amazing DSI is competing with these larger companies while still offering a higher quality product.

This is something to take note...no other company really is offering the same amount of power, ease of use and features for Poly synths except for DSI and still keeping the prices relatively competitive. Yeah Behringer And Korg are doing analog poly synths...except they seem to be lagging in a lot of ways behind DSI. It’s either overly complicated menu diving or missing things like aftertouch....at this point DSI IS the cigar...everything else is just “close but...”

4dubs

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2018, 03:14:30 PM »
Without going into detail, I've been working in the musical instrument industry for more years than I care to mention . . . basically my entire life.  I will tell you all from both personal and ancillary experience that DSI instruments are not only, by and large, well built and reliable, but in the event something does go wrong, their after market support is pretty outstanding  . . . which is particularly remarkable considering how few employees they actually have.

Choosing the REV 2 is most certainly not "too risky".  If you like how it sounds, don't overthink it.

DSI:  Prophet 6, Rev 2 16v, Pro 2, OB6
Other:  Moog One 8v, Model D reissue, Voyager, Sub 37, Nord Stage 2 SW73, Behringer Mono/Poly & 2600, Studiologic Sledge Black, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium desktop & STVC, Mellotron Micro, Modal Cobalt 8X, Expresive E Osmose

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2018, 09:02:38 PM »
Yes, that's the right term - over-think.  With all the information one can find on the Internet, it's often a matter of TMI.  All the comments and reviews can be paralyzing.  Add to that a possible idiosyncrasy of indecisiveness, and a person can go on thinking about it forever, trying to choose between buying and not buying, but finding a dozen reasons in favor of each choice. 

There's always a degree of risk involved in buying something, especially something sophisticated and expensive, but DSI products are still among the least risky synthesizers that one could buy, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:44:15 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2018, 10:00:07 PM »
Yes, that's the right term - over-think.  With all the information one can find on the Internet, it's often a matter of TMI.  All the comments and reviews can be paralyzing.  Add to that a possible idiosyncrasy of hesitancy and indecision, and a person can go on thinking about it forever, trying to choose between buying and not buying.  There's always a degree of risk involved in buying something, but DSI products are among the least risky products, in my opinion.
I totally agree.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

LoboLives

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2018, 10:02:52 PM »
Yes, that's the right term - over-think.  With all the information one can find on the Internet, it's often a matter of TMI.  All the comments and reviews can be paralyzing.  Add to that a possible idiosyncrasy of hesitancy and indecision, and a person can go on thinking about it forever, trying to choose between buying and not buying.  There's always a degree of risk involved in buying something, but DSI products are among the least risky products, in my opinion.

I remeber my dad inquiring to Roland about something to do with the V Piano and all they kept doing is trying to get him to buy the RD 2000 and when he told them that he didn’t like the action and the reviews weren’t great they told them the reviews and him were wrong or something. Totally unhelpful. Roland are like the Apple of the music instrument world. All they want to do is push their latest and greatest device that they’ll stop making after a year. Rinse and repeat.

jg666

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2018, 10:40:20 PM »
I agree with all the positive comments about DSI. Although I've not needed support from them, I somehow get a warm comfortable feeling from the company.

As I keep saying, forums are not the ideal place to get a balanced view of something as people tend to join when they have a problem (or perceived problem) to sort out :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »
I see no risk with this synth, or any of their modern gear, it’s very well built and I’ve had zero issues.

In electronics there will always be the odd issue now and then on particular units but I think DSI is a very very safe purchase.  Plus in general their support seems excellent from what I’ve read, though personally I’ve not needed it across the few I’ve owned/own.  This includes the Tetra, P12 module, Rev 2 module and currently the P12 keys and Rev 2 keys.  So all in all 5 bits of gear, all perfect.

ddp

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2018, 06:04:36 PM »
All of my Dave Smith Instruments electronics (Prophet 6, rev2/16, Tempest) have worked perfectly and the build quality is quite high.  I'm waiting with baited breath for my Prophet X; I had a chance to play with one at Moogfest and it's awesome!
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2018, 06:21:16 PM »
One post - who'd have guessed?  ;D
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

jg666

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »

Hmm yes I see what you mean. I've seen loads of single posts similar to this on other manufacturer forums as well, it makes you wonder if it someone from a competitor or something like that. No offence meant to the original poster if this is not the case :)

Incidentally I own Sonos gear (music streaming system) and if you went onto their forum as a non-owner of kit you would never buy anything as it's just full of issues and ranting from owners. If you read through their forums you'd think that nobody has a working system!
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2018, 03:28:35 AM »

Hmm yes I see what you mean. I've seen loads of single posts similar to this on other manufacturer forums as well, it makes you wonder if it someone from a competitor or something like that. No offence meant to the original poster if this is not the case :)

Incidentally I own Sonos gear (music streaming system) and if you went onto their forum as a non-owner of kit you would never buy anything as it's just full of issues and ranting from owners. If you read through their forums you'd think that nobody has a working system!

I wasn't the original poster but I'm seriously interested in this thread. I'm trying to find a shop in the Netherlands where I can actually touch a REV 2 before forking out the money.

jg666

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2018, 03:33:38 AM »

I wasn't the original poster but I'm seriously interested in this thread. I'm trying to find a shop in the Netherlands where I can actually touch a REV 2 before forking out the money.

Are there no listed dealers there? I'm lucky as I visited a place called Gear4Music which is not far from me (I'm in the UK)

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2018, 03:50:08 AM »

Are there no listed dealers there? I'm lucky as I visited a place called Gear4Music which is not far from me (I'm in the UK)

Yes, there are but most more than 100km away from where I live. I may visit a shop in Amsterdam tomorrow (in that case I'll bring my wallet).

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2018, 05:44:57 AM »

I believe I saw one at Keymusic in Eindhoven, ask for Ron Boots. Otherwise you are very welcome to have a go at mine, I live near Amersfoort.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2018, 04:46:23 AM »

I presume you’ve already looked on the list of dealers here on the DSI site. If not, see attachments below. There are also dealers in neighbouring countries if you live near one of the borders.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:48:21 AM by Quatschmacher »

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2018, 07:46:02 AM »

I believe I saw one at Keymusic in Eindhoven, ask for Ron Boots. Otherwise you are very welcome to have a go at mine, I live near Amersfoort.

Thank you, they are getting pretty rare at the moment. KeyMusic doesn't have them (in 8-12 weeks they'll have them again). Bax is running out. I went to R'dam but the ones available they had on the website weren't there for quite a while.
I'm just going to order one and test it for a month.

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2018, 07:47:54 AM »

I presume you’ve already looked on the list of dealers here on the DSI site. If not, see attachments below. There are also dealers in neighbouring countries if you live near one of the borders.

Thank you. I've had a look at those websites. Only few actually have them. Some have them for a very high process though.

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2018, 01:40:15 PM »

Thank you. I've had a look at those websites. Only few actually have them. Some have them for a very high process though.

You could always test them there and ask if they’ll price-match the cheapest you’ve seen. If not, just test there and buy elsewhere online.

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »

FWIW, I never touched or saw a Rev2 before I bought mine.

I tried enough of the cheapo synths at my local shop to know generally what I needed to not be frustrated (8+ polyphony, lots of knobs, full sized and nice feeling keybed, savable patch presets). I did a little research (i.e. a couple evenings of reading about the options and YouTube videos). Rev2 seemed great, sounded great, fit my general criteria. I bought it.

I'm very happy. Maybe there's a "slightly more ideal synth" for me out there, but the Rev2 is so good I'm sure I wouldn't be able to begin knowing what that would be without a few years of experience with it. It's awesome, and I'm glad to be making music.

Kja

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2018, 11:42:08 AM »
I believe dsi has started using better encoders since the original 08 model and there has been growing pains from it, same with elektron who is using better ones too. Of course I'm sure there are much better up to laser optical encoders but the ones did is using are better than they are being credited for. Potentiometer's have there own set of problems too..

The only mass produced synth I own is a dsi synth and I will never sell it, not a moog,lol.