Overdrive effect pedal for Rev2?

Overdrive effect pedal for Rev2?
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:27:51 AM »
tl;dr: Suggestions for a good overdrive/distortion pedal for the Rev2? Ideally stereo?

I just got the EHX Operation Overlord. Unlike the Rev2's internal distortion effect, the EHX just kills any deeper bass in my patches...any rumble just disappears. And when there are more than a few notes on top of each other (string, organs, etc), it crunches into un-musical dissonance too quickly. I like heavy distortion, but this pedal feels like it's only really usable for guitars and simple mono synth leads. It doesn't work as a general poly-synth overdrive for me.

I bought it because it was the only stereo overdrive I could find...but I wonder if it's not worth it to just go mono for the right pedal. Thoughts? Thanks!

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
Re: Overdrive effect pedal for Rev2?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
Well years ago back in early 2000’s I used to use a ProCo Rat 🐀 distortion pedal on my Korg Z1 and I remember it being quite a sick distortion box.  They just released a new version of it actually.  I think it’s mono.  Another option is the Eventide H9 Core pedal, 300 bucks but it’s an amazing pedal and you can purchase additional effects algorithms, Sweetwater did a distortion pedal shootout, google it!!!  The H9 distortion sounded killer plus you can control all the settings from iPhone or iPad...boom
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:24:56 AM »
I bought an Elektron Analog Drive recently and really like it. The EQ makes it really usable for keys, bass, or gtr. Mono in/out though but they're MIDI controllable so I've been thinking about getting a second for stereo use. Still cheaper than the Analog Heat.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
It’s unfortunate how few options there are for stereo drive in a pedal. For what it’s worth I’ve built some pedals and I really love the Zvex super hard on circuit. It’s not super flexible, no EQ, but it has plenty of low end and makes everything sweeter. A version with a pre-gain knob adds the ability to go into overdrive instead of just boosting territory. It’s a very simple circuit. I’m sure someone out there would be willing to build you a stereo version if its tone and simplicity appeal to you. Or you could get wild and build one yourself if that’s something you’re interested in.

Probably not the most practical advice but I hope it helps!