Delay lines a bit distorted?

Delay lines a bit distorted?
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:03:48 AM »
Is anyone else noticing distortion in the delay lines? Sounds a bit like they're overloading. I've noticed it especially with simple patches (e.g. single osc square wave) that have a short (0) attack. The start of the delayed audio repeat always sounds snappier/clickier than the input sound (like when you have an abrupt DC shift in a waveform).

I know that's a pretty vague description - I'll have to grab an audio capture later tonight. I modified 'VulcanizedRubber' a bunch and the delay sound is really bugging me.

I've fiddled with the patch volume and the level/feedback of the delay - doesn't seem to make a difference. All delays seem to exhibit the same distortion, and it seems that turning up the drive makes it more obvious.

Re: Delay lines a bit distorted?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:44:31 AM »

Hi,

they have the option to set the delay to low to avoid this, 4th softkey in delay page.

Hope this helps,

Martin

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »
Actually I hear it whether the delay is set to "high" or "low".

Here's a quick audio example of the click sound I noticed on the delay repeats. I'll try grabbing a recording of the more distortion-like sound later this evening.

https://soundcloud.com/peeja/clickydelay/s-ZE8DT

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 01:45:39 PM »
Here's another example with a modified 'VulcanizedRubber' patch. Still using just a single delay line set to "low". I tried using patch volumes as low as 70-80 and still get that weird click/distortion sound.

https://soundcloud.com/peeja/clickydelay2/s-MgquC

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:19:40 PM »
Just to circle around, I spoke with DSI support (Carson Day) and he was able to confirm that what I'm hearing happens on his test P12 (so it's not just a problem with my hardware/hearing).

He's added the item to the P12 bug list, to be reviewed at some point in the future.

The workaround at this point is to add a slight attack to the VCA envelope. Not a great solution for some situations but that's where things stand.