Nord Wave yay or nay?

LoboLives

Nord Wave yay or nay?
« on: May 05, 2018, 02:44:59 PM »
A musician in my neighbourhood is currently selling his Nord Wave sampler. I had my eye on the Nord Wave for a while and held off until I saw what DSI would reveal next. The Nord Wave is similar in concept to the Prophet X. I still have my eye on the Prophet X but it's also very expensive and I do wonder if the Nord Wave would suffice in it's place although it's nowhere near as powerful. Does anyone have any experience with the Nord Wave? It's currently being sold for $2000 and wondering if I should pick it up. It has all the original factory presets loaded back in and is in mint condition.

Sleep of Reason

Re: Nord Wave yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »
My suggestion is:
A. Spend the time and energy really delving into the potential of what you already have.
B. Use your Kronos.
C. Use your Kronos. 

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »
My suggestion is:
A. Spend the time and energy really delving into the potential of what you already have.
B. Use your Kronos.
C. Use your Kronos.

Honestly I haven’t touched the Kronos is a long time. Just can’t get into it.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 08:48:23 PM »
I know that the Wave can get you in that Prophet X territory (up to some point), but you’ll feel like it isn’t exactly something that would be sufficient to make you forget the Prophet. I’m not saying go for the Prophet either, but just don’t get the Wave just for getting it.

I also know that the Wave is kind of rare, but I think that 2K is a lot for what it is and how old it is. I wouldn’t invest my money on it. You already have a lot of nice things, and maybe, just maybe, you should start thinking about getting rid of stuff you don’t actually use/need. The 2K you’d spend on this Nord + money from your Kronos, you could achieve the price tag of what you actually want.

Unless the Nord Wave is something you really want to use, even if just out of curiosity, go for it. If you’re trying to use it as a substitute for something else, run from it. Expensive!
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 10:51:13 PM »
I know that the Wave can get you in that Prophet X territory (up to some point), but you’ll feel like it isn’t exactly something that would be sufficient to make you forget the Prophet. I’m not saying go for the Prophet either, but just don’t get the Wave just for getting it.

I also know that the Wave is kind of rare, but I think that 2K is a lot for what it is and how old it is. I wouldn’t invest my money on it. You already have a lot of nice things, and maybe, just maybe, you should start thinking about getting rid of stuff you don’t actually use/need. The 2K you’d spend on this Nord + money from your Kronos, you could achieve the price tag of what you actually want.

Unless the Nord Wave is something you really want to use, even if just out of curiosity, go for it. If you’re trying to use it as a substitute for something else, run from it. Expensive!

I think you are right, the Wave may turn out to be a substitute when I really should be saving up for the thing I want. I think I’ll stick with the Prophet X. Otherwise this is going to turn into the Two Voice Pro situation: Spending time trying to find substitutes or “good enough” when I should just focus on the real deal.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 03:48:05 AM »
I think you are right, the Wave may turn out to be a substitute when I really should be saving up for the thing I want. I think I’ll stick with the Prophet X. Otherwise this is going to turn into the Two Voice Pro situation: Spending time trying to find substitutes or “good enough” when I should just focus on the real deal.
Yes, exactly. I’ve made this mistake for far too long before getting what I actually wanted, I’m glad that I could make you see that with a single post. :)

Enjoying your Prophet 6? Might be my next move... ;D
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 08:24:03 AM »
Yes, exactly. I’ve made this mistake for far too long before getting what I actually wanted, I’m glad that I could make you see that with a single post. :)

Enjoying your Prophet 6? Might be my next move... ;D

The Prophet 6 is my favorite synth of all time. I love the immediacy of it and the sound is fantastic.

dsetto

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 02:52:10 AM »
I've all but forgotten the little I learned about the Wave, so I can't comment there. I'm very excited about the Prophet X, even though I'm unavailable.

Based on the wants I've seen you share, but without grasping your needs, I agree with the posts above. Specifically, I'd offer:
Commit to the Prophet X as your next sampler synth when you get around to it, and the want/need reaches a high enough threshold.

And consider reassessing your comittment to the Kronos. I'm committed for better and worse to my workstation. I get the pros and cons of that type of board.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 05:59:52 AM »
Fo me the best thing to do with the Kronos is to ignore all the "workstation" bits and treat it like a monster synth.

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 07:38:38 AM »
I hear you guys about the Kronos but for me I just can’t get into it. Right now I’m treating my Roland FA 08 and sometimes my Kurzweil as a workstation. I just can’t seem to gel with the Kronos.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 08:14:59 AM »
I hear you guys about the Kronos but for me I just can’t get into it. Right now I’m treating my Roland FA 08 and sometimes my Kurzweil as a workstation. I just can’t seem to gel with the Kronos.
Just sell it and be done with it. :)