My dream monosynth - Minimoog Voyager

My dream monosynth - Minimoog Voyager
« on: May 03, 2018, 04:36:52 AM »
I’m not a big participant here in the DSI forum, but I always read what you guys write and keep coming back here because of the human content - you guys are great! It’s been a long time, but Tim was one of the persons who started making me think better about what I get.

I’ve been hugely disappointed with myself since Moog Music announces they were going to stop the Minimoog Voyager production. This disappointment is basically due to not being centered enough to get the thing I lusted for several years.

Last month I finally had the opportunity to get a Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition brand new, inside a factory sealed box. It was a dream come true. The first few notes were enough to make me realize that this is the sound I was after. It sounds so smooth when compared to the Little and Sub Phatty I also have - oscillators in intervals is almost like playing two notes. I’m simply in love with it!

This synth is so much deeper than I initially thought. Modulation wise, you get the 2 mod busses in the front panel, plus 4 pot mapping mods, that allow things like “key pitch to osc3 waveform” in 25, 50 or 100% intensity. It has the sonic and visual appeal I sought after.

I’m just so happy that I had to share this. Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

chysn

Re: My dream monosynth - Minimoog Voyager
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 05:40:05 AM »
Hey, glad to hear it! It's nice that some new stock is still available. The Minimoog format is something that's really missing from Moog's lineup right now, and that's too bad.

Enjoy!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 07:13:43 AM »
Congratulations on that Voyager.  Yes, it is a fabulous instrument and it's built like a Hitchcock chair.  I had the Old School edition several years ago, and I thought it had the richest pulse width modulation I'd ever heard.  It still seems crazy to me that Moog would have discontinued the instrument, and the Model D as well.  These are the sorts of classics that you'd like to know will always be around for those times when you've got $3,000 with nothing else to do.

The Minimoog has long been one of those rare instruments that makes masters out of people; I mean, people who spend much time perfecting their grasp and use of the instrument and acquiring a proficiency with it that is both remarkable and uplifting to watch. 

Now go forth, master your Voyager, and make music.  :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:49:24 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 07:50:28 AM »
Hey, glad to hear it! It's nice that some new stock is still available. The Minimoog format is something that's really missing from Moog's lineup right now, and that's too bad.

Enjoy!
Thank you! It wasn’t exactly very easy to buy... I used a vacation trip to NY to get it at Rogue Music. The pain was to bring it back home (other country) shipping it in the airplane in the original box (actually two of them, one inside the other). Thankfully it arrived safely.

Yes, I’m missing something of the caliber of the Voyager since it was discontinued. I like the D, but isn’t exactly practical. The Voyager, to me, is the true Minimoog of nowadays (I’ll get beaten for it in a lot of places, but sonically I find it better too, clean and creamy). Had the opportunity to test the XL and Model D side by side, and to me, the Voyager was a no brainer.

Congratulations on that Voyager.  Yes, it is a fabulous instrument and it's built like a Hitchcock chair.  I had the Old School edition several years ago, and I thought it had the richest pulse width modulation I'd ever heard.  It still seems crazy to me that Moog would have discontinued the instrument, and the Model D as well.  These are the sorts of classics that you'd like to know will always be around for those times when you've got $3,000 with nothing else to do.

The Minimoog has long been one of those rare instruments that makes masters out of people; I mean, people who spend much time perfecting their grasp and use of the instrument and acquiring a proficiency with it that is both remarkable and uplifting to watch. 

Now go forth and make music.  :D
Indeed, it’s a fabulous instrument. The tones are so clean and defined that I still haven’t played anything quite like it. I know you used to own the OS and wasn’t quite fond of its sawtooth, but as you stated, there’s so much more. The PWM is actually unmatched to my ears, the same goes for stereo ambience with the dual filters - with pot mapping, you can make it almost as stereophonic as a piano, where you hear the lower and higher frequencies differently in your ears.

I’m still getting to know this incredible synth, but I understand what you say about mastering this thing. It’s like having a guitar with its own sound going on, and I love it.

The only thing I think I should add to my gear now is the Prophet 6. Had some time with it (maybe an hour) and was amazed by it. So much better than the 08 I had... so much! I also compared with the OB6, and the Prophet is simply better IMHO. That character is what I was after in a poly - it’s not so subtle as vintage Roland, but can get you there if needed, but also covers so much more. I was surprised (presets kinda suck for example) after dialing my own sounds.

Thank you so much Tim for your inputs. It might seem as those emails were scarce and not exactly full of ideas, but it was the clay from which I developed the idea of getting my dream instrument #1.

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 08:00:38 AM »
I'm glad it all helped you and that you've arrived at this happy point in your musical "voyage". 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:22:18 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »
I'm glad it all helped you and that you've arrived at this happy point in your musical "voyage".

:)

Haha! Nice one... my Voyage has begun.

dsetto

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 03:05:19 AM »
Congratulations. There's the external timeline and our internal timeline. Best to match our inner pulls with our internal timeline, I think. But, if you want brand new, might need to check in once in a while with the external timeline. And then keep that in check. : )

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 04:59:46 PM »
Congratulations. There's the external timeline and our internal timeline. Best to match our inner pulls with our internal timeline, I think. But, if you want brand new, might need to check in once in a while with the external timeline. And then keep that in check. : )
Thanks! I’m not quite sure if I understand you completely... the only thing I know is that I’m quite happy!  ;D

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »

A simple picture of it...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 08:13:58 PM »
She's a beaut!

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 08:04:55 AM »
She's a beaut!
Yes she is! ;D
Probably the most beautiful synthesizer I’ve ever laid my hands on. Gorgeous!

I’ve made a non musical video exploring some of the sonic possibilities of the Voyager. Came back here to share...

https://youtu.be/48_7sLObSKk