Prophet X Sounds

Re: Prophet X Sounds
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2018, 12:44:47 PM »
I have a little different take on the Montage.  When I can justify it with the spousal board of consent, it will probably be my next purchase.  My priority is to replace my S-90.  My S-90 is getting old, but it is fantastic as a controller and the weighted keys are awesome for a pianist.  I still use many of the sounds too.  The Montage is the only keyboard I can see as a full replacement/upgrade to the S-90.  The FM side of it would allow me to take my DX out of service too. 

The PX sounds like a great instrument, but it will have to wait behind the Montage on my priorities. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »
Well if you own a DX then you know the true meaning of menu diving.  ;)

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »
Well if you own a DX then you know the true meaning of menu diving.  ;)

Truer words were never said.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2018, 04:11:53 PM »
The biggest reasons why I looked into the Montage were loving the keybed on the 88 key version I tried, and hoping Yamaha finally had a great UI for FM programming.  While I was ultimately disappointed with the touchscreen navigation for programming, there's no question that classic sound is there with a lot of nice additional touches.  It's a fine offering with some characteristics that didn't grab me, and for me it felt more like an alternative to the Kurzweil than the gap I had earmarked than the one the Prophet X will fill.

I'm still hopeful Yamaha will put out a modern FM synth based on the Montage technology in a rack mount format.  If not, I guess I'll have to track down an FS1R because I've been missing that sound since my DX7IIFD was stolen many decades ago.

I certainly wouldn't put the Kurzweil line forward for having any kind of immediacy or ease of programming, so I'm sure my preference there has a lot more to do with having owned a K2000 and a K2500X.  It's familiar territory that I'm used to being able to make the most of.

ddp

« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2018, 05:56:57 PM »
I'm new here too, but not new to DSI.  I have a Prophet 6, rev2/16, and a new Tempest, and I ordered a Prophet X.  I've been hanging out in the Nord forum but over the last year, I've sold almost all my Nord hardware, save for a Lead 3 and Rack 3, and I'm looking forward to the Prophet X, enough to have ordered one without playing one.  I happened to catch Dave at Moogfest last year talking about the design of the P6 and rev2 and very much enjoyed his talk.  I also have a Moog Subsequent (upgraded from a Sub37) and minimoog Model D Reissue and I grew up listening to Yes.  This will be fun!
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

LoboLives

« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2018, 07:34:38 PM »
The biggest reasons why I looked into the Montage were loving the keybed on the 88 key version I tried, and hoping Yamaha finally had a great UI for FM programming.  While I was ultimately disappointed with the touchscreen navigation for programming, there's no question that classic sound is there with a lot of nice additional touches.  It's a fine offering with some characteristics that didn't grab me, and for me it felt more like an alternative to the Kurzweil than the gap I had earmarked than the one the Prophet X will fill.

I'm still hopeful Yamaha will put out a modern FM synth based on the Montage technology in a rack mount format.  If not, I guess I'll have to track down an FS1R because I've been missing that sound since my DX7IIFD was stolen many decades ago.

I certainly wouldn't put the Kurzweil line forward for having any kind of immediacy or ease of programming, so I'm sure my preference there has a lot more to do with having owned a K2000 and a K2500X.  It's familiar territory that I'm used to being able to make the most of.

Sadly when I brought up the idea of an FMX only synth or even a new DX, I was met with the response from Yamaha “We don’t live in the past.” I mentioned the Reface line and they said I was being too aggressive. So I’m a bit put off by Yamaha to be honest.

LoboLives

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2018, 07:35:29 PM »
I'm new here too, but not new to DSI.  I have a Prophet 6, rev2/16, and a new Tempest, and I ordered a Prophet X.  I've been hanging out in the Nord forum but over the last year, I've sold almost all my Nord hardware, save for a Lead 3 and Rack 3, and I'm looking forward to the Prophet X, enough to have ordered one without playing one.  I happened to catch Dave at Moogfest last year talking about the design of the P6 and rev2 and very much enjoyed his talk.  I also have a Moog Subsequent (upgraded from a Sub37) and minimoog Model D Reissue and I grew up listening to Yes.  This will be fun!

Looks like you got my ideal DSI line. I just placed the order for the Prophet X today. You are just one REV2 ahead of me. Lol

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2018, 08:21:17 PM »

Sadly when I brought up the idea of an FMX only synth or even a new DX, I was met with the response from Yamaha “We don’t live in the past.” I mentioned the Reface line and they said I was being too aggressive. So I’m a bit put off by Yamaha to be honest.

That's too bad.  I feel the reason why FM is not more popular is that it has not been incorporated into a user friendly interface.  If FM was interfaced like analog has been interfaced in the Rev 2, I think there would be a strong resurgence.  A 6 operator FM synth could be done with as little as 60 knobs if each operator got its own set, or 20 knobs if they are switchable to each operator.   

I was hopeful that the P-12's FM would have been the solution.  However, the FM there does not cut it.  The highest frequency response of the modulation is only about 4k hz.  As a result, the sparkle that differentiates DX type FM is not available on the P-12.

FM is an amazing untapped technology.  Now that FM is in the public domain, I hope that DSI will look into a DX like FM synth with a user friendly interface.  I'm sure it would be a winner. 

jg666

« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2018, 12:53:09 AM »
I agree about everything that has been said about Yamaha. I’ve owned the MOXF6 for some time and the menu system still bloody confuses me !! It’s a very deep synth but a constant battle for me to find what I need.
Edit....
If it wasn't for Phil (Bad Mister) and all his help on the internet there would be a lot more people with no idea what they're doing with their Yamaha synths!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 01:54:26 AM by jg666 »
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2018, 05:42:17 AM »

That's too bad.  I feel the reason why FM is not more popular is that it has not been incorporated into a user friendly interface.  If FM was interfaced like analog has been interfaced in the Rev 2, I think there would be a strong resurgence.  A 6 operator FM synth could be done with as little as 60 knobs if each operator got its own set, or 20 knobs if they are switchable to each operator.   

I was hopeful that the P-12's FM would have been the solution.  However, the FM there does not cut it.  The highest frequency response of the modulation is only about 4k hz.  As a result, the sparkle that differentiates DX type FM is not available on the P-12.

FM is an amazing untapped technology.  Now that FM is in the public domain, I hope that DSI will look into a DX like FM synth with a user friendly interface.  I'm sure it would be a winner.

I think the P-12's FM section, although limited does sound nice. A lot of the DX7 tones you hear on recordings are actually being run through heavy chorus effects. Although it's not perfect, put an analog chorus behind the Prophet 12 and you'll get into the DX territory.

Personally, I think the next DSI instrument will focus more on digital synthesis. FM but specifically Vector Synthesis.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/pvs.php

« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2018, 05:24:42 PM »
I agree about everything that has been said about Yamaha. I’ve owned the MOXF6 for some time and the menu system still bloody confuses me !! It’s a very deep synth but a constant battle for me to find what I need.
Edit....
If it wasn't for Phil (Bad Mister) and all his help on the internet there would be a lot more people with no idea what they're doing with their Yamaha synths!
I tried a MOXF6 for a few months. It definitely didn't gel with me. I wanted to use the multitrack sequencer but I couldn't ever hit the right buttons to do anything. I'd work through the tutorial and by the time I wanted to record another track I had forgotten how to do it. I never even attempted to modify a program!

I've learned more about FM and I think it's hot. I need is a cookbook for creating acoustic sounding instruments. I hope someone will start making serious 6 op FM synthesizers again (besides the expensive Montage).

niagarasynths

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »
I have a MOXF8 for live playing and it's great for setting up layers and splits, meat and potatoes stuff. My recently acquired Montage 6 is going to be leaving if the X is as good as it seems to be, hands on. The Montage strings sounds are lame and programmability is less than intuitive, as is storing and saving sounds.
Question though, does the X have a category search?

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »
Question though, does the X have a category search?

Sample groups are neatly categorized by type, which should make program design easy when wading through the 850+ available sample groups.  Programs, on the other hand?  They can be manually organized into sets for performance but I don't think they're otherwise searchable.

dsetto

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »
I see a Prophet X to be like Ableton live & improvisation. And I see a Montage/Motif XF/Kronos/Kurzweil to be like a traditional linear DAW & composition. For some, one is a clear path.

Phil is amazing. Yamaha Synth Division is indebted to this long-term teacher. I was just reading some of his stuff today. I'm a Motif XF user. I had a good look at the Montage when it (& the OB6) came out, but decided to stay put. I was incredibly excited by it as an evolution to what I had. The learning curve with the Motif XF has surely been as steep as advertised. The existing various means of support are critical. My fundamental reason for the XF was for sample playback with zero lag. And I've grown attached to its sequencer.

Strangely, I learned synthesis from Phil on the XF, trying to make it be a Prophet '08. I got to real interesting places, only scratching the surface. And then, the Rev2 was announced the day after I shook hands with Uli, having just tried out my 1st 12 voice monotimbral, and identifying the importance of polyphony for my top synthesis goal. The Rev2 is addressing my real-time need.

Good luck on your call. ... Identifying needs, workflow, & thinking complementary seem to be good guiding posts. As is gut. ... I think Dave addresses the Prophet X vs workstation comparison pretty saliently in Nodes & Wires, Ep. 4.

One of my top favorite things about DSI is the thoughtfulness & courteousness of this forum. ... The Tempest forum could be a different hang, though. ... But there, beat is king. 

dsetto

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2018, 10:32:50 PM »
On the DSI forum, we're discussing a DSI/Sequential instrument vs. a Big Box rompler-workstation. For an apples-to-apples role. This is synth history in its continued making.

Both have user samples, both have synthesis. They're entirely different. One can't shed the moniker; one is trying to avoid the moniker. The moniker doesn't apply to either and is worn proudly by both.

dsetto

« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2018, 10:29:03 AM »
Returning to this thread's subject, simply reiterating what's has been communicated countless times ... 

This Prophet X is novel. (... irrespective of its components.)

« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2018, 08:15:20 PM »
On the DSI forum, we're discussing a DSI/Sequential instrument vs. a Big Box rompler-workstation. For an apples-to-apples role. This is synth history in its continued making.

Both have user samples, both have synthesis. They're entirely different. One can't shed the moniker; one is trying to avoid the moniker. The moniker doesn't apply to either and is worn proudly by both.

Interesting comment.  I think I understand but what do you believe is the "moniker"?

I really like DSI instruments because they are both innovative and user friendly.  Hence why I have three DSI synths.  I can't say both for Yamaha, for example.

dsetto

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2018, 08:32:30 PM »
Rompler-workstation

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2018, 08:33:59 PM »
OK I'm probably going to show myself up here with this :) What's the big excitement about this synth? To me the stuff I've heard is all possible on a synth such as the Yamaha Montage..... I assume I'm missing something massive though!

Yes, user interface - which differentiates all DSI synths from Yamaha.  DSI is taking all of its advantages and putting them into Yamaha territory.  Also, the basic approach will yield a different sound from the competition. 

I will probably get a Montage before an X for my own personal reasons.  However, I think an X will be added to the stable around the time the premium goes off the price.

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2018, 08:49:10 PM »

I think that's a pretty harsh assessment . . .  The problem may be that you cannot always hear that, or that you can only know this if you actually see how the according sounds have been made.

Good assessment of the job of presets.  I have never really worried about preset sounds.  I'll start with a preset and go from there.  If I can get something that pushes my creativity in different direction, then it's good and valuable.  I look at presets as "serving suggestion" (in the US, most pictures on boxed food items showing the item on a nice plate, etc., has the reference - "serving suggestion").  Take the preset and adjust to taste.

I did a que recently with the "Space Cow" preset in the Pro-02.  The preset by itself might sound a little lame without any context.  In a mix and doing some modulation to the preset, it became a really desirable addition.   So, you can't judge a preset by its cover.  BTW, here is the track with the Space Cow preset.  It's the background sound that sounds like sad wailing.   https://soundcloud.com/jdt9517/space-cadet-full-mix