Prophet X Sounds

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Re: Prophet X Sounds
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 05:25:45 AM »
Nick has beaten all the others with a first Superbooth review:

https://youtu.be/AoFqUcHJgOA

I love the enthusiasm and sparkle  :) The X seems to be a truly inspired instrument.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

LoboLives

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 05:30:52 AM »

I love the enthusiasm and sparkle  :) The X seems to be a truly inspired instrument.

I do wish they included backwards and forwards cursors for going between presets. I know the playlist function is going to help but still I'd rather be able to switch between patches and not worry about accidentally turning the scroll dial too much.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 06:02:38 AM »

I do wish they included backwards and forwards cursors for going between presets. I know the playlist function is going to help but still I'd rather be able to switch between patches and not worry about accidentally turning the scroll dial too much.
Patch selection for both layers looks very similar to the Rev2. Sample selection is done using "Style" grouping.

LoboLives

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 06:34:14 AM »

Patch selection for both layers looks very similar to the Rev2. Sample selection is done using "Style" grouping.

Yeah I hated that about the REV2. It's annoying when you are trying to change patches on the fly.

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 10:50:31 AM »
I was a bit sceptical to begin with on this but after listening to all the stuff that is appearing I really like the sound of this synth, I am beginning to think my PEK and P12 might have to go on Ebay to fund this :( :)

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2018, 10:53:22 AM »

Nice to see Sequentix has the stand next to DSI.

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2018, 11:07:44 AM »
[/quote]

The Prophet X features dedicated Increment/Decrement buttons for patch selection, as well as the Program encoder.
SEQUENTIAL

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2018, 11:23:31 AM »
I was a bit skeptical to begin with on this, but after listening to all the stuff that is appearing I really like the sound of this synth; I am beginning to think my PEK and P12 might have to go on Ebay to fund this :( :)

Honestly, Bob, I do think this is an over-reaction.  If you'd prefer to have everything squeezed into one portable keyboard instrument, then I can understand your feelings.  But appreciate that we repeatedly say this when a new instrument appears; suddenly, all the others fade into the background as the NEW and PERFECT instrument shines. 

My gut feeling - and more - is that the PX can adequately replace neither the Poly Evolver Keyboard nor the Prophet 12, just as it was only slowly admitted around here years ago that the P12 could not really replace the PEK.  If the distinctive characteristics of those two instruments mean something to you, then be careful.  I'm sure the PX will be able to somewhat emulate them, but only somewhat, not perfectly.  The "everything under the hood" approach often results in a rather generic sound. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 12:38:05 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »

The Prophet X features dedicated Increment/Decrement buttons for patch selection, as well as the Program encoder.
[/quote]

REALLY! WOW!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOO!

LoboLives

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2018, 12:26:07 PM »
I was a bit skeptical to begin with on this, but after listening to all the stuff that is appearing I really like the sound of this synth; I am beginning to think my PEK and P12 might have to go on Ebay to fund this :( :)

Honestly, I do think this is an over-reaction.  If you'd prefer to have everything squeezed into one portable keyboard instrument, then I can understand your feelings.  But appreciate that we repeatedly say this when a new instrument appears; suddenly, all the others fade into the background as the NEW and PERFECT instrument shines. 

My gut feeling - and more - is that the PX can adequately replace neither the Poly Evolver Keyboard nor the Prophet 12, just as it was only slowly admitted around here years ago that the P12 could not really replace the PEK.  If the distinctive characteristics of those two instruments mean something to you, then be careful.  I'm sure the PX will be able to somewhat emulate them, but only somewhat, not perfectly.  The "everything under the hood" approach often results in a rather generic sound.

and a lot of menu diving. Each of DSI synths is totally different from one another...well not that much difference with the P6 and OB6 but regardless....the PX is a totally different approach and mindset for the PEK and P12. Each has it's own identity and I do firmly believe that the next DSI synth will focus on the VS side of things. Just as this is sort of a Prophet 2000 on steroids we will see a Prophet VS on steroids as well.

Is the Prophet X everything I hoped for? Yes and no, I do wish they would have had only had samples instead of oscillators and I do wish it was at least 4 part multitimbral but even still...it's a step in the right direction for DSI and regardless of price or how many people purchase it, this and to some extent the Quantum may indeed inspire other synth manufactures to look into doing sampler synths.

I've decided i'm going to wait and see what instruction videos follow and sound demos people come out with and I'll make my decision. It took a long time for me to justify the Oberheim Two Voice Pro and this is just as expensive so I want to make sure it's not an impulse purchase....but so far it's winning me over.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2018, 12:43:15 PM »
I do firmly believe that the next DSI synth will focus on the VS side of things.

I agree with this.  And I also agree, LoboLives, that you should take a more cautious wait-and-see approach to the Prophet X.  $4,000 is a lot of money to mis-allocate.  It may be nearly the perfect instrument for you, or it may not be.  There's plenty of time to find out for certain.

LoboLives

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2018, 12:51:38 PM »
I do firmly believe that the next DSI synth will focus on the VS side of things.

I agree with this.  And I also agree, LoboLives, that you should take a more cautious wait-and-see approach to the Prophet X.  $4,000 is a lot of money to mis-allocate.  It may be nearly the perfect instrument for you, or it may not be.  There's plenty of time to find out for certain.

Right. I have to way out, can I get the sounds I'm looking for from a Kurzweil...or could I get an second hand Nord Wave for my sampling needs and survive it it. Even still the Prophet X is mind blowing and compared to the Quantum a lot more approachable from the get go as opposed to trying to figure out menus and modes.

I actually recently decided that as far as guitars go, boutique amps and guitars are fantastic but can I survive with my American Strat and an Adrenalinn iii direct to the board? So far, the answer is yes....a $4000-5000 Anderson guitar and $3000 Carr amp are more "nice to haves". But at the end of the day, both an electric guitar and amp are going to have a lot less versatility than a synthesizer. Same with $3000-4000 for digital Hammonds or Pianos...is one sound really worth that much money or is it better to have a plethora of sounds for that amount?

chysn

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »
is one sound really worth that much money or is it better to have a plethora of sounds for that amount?

If this isn't a rhetorical question, I'd have to go with the plethora. To twist the famous line from an old folk tale: Be cautious, be cautious... but not too cautious. To put it another way: Where is fancy bred? The heart, not even close. To put it another way: Buy it!

If Sacred Synthesis is the guy with the halo sitting on your right shoulder, he can wave across at me on the other end. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:35:54 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2018, 06:21:21 PM »
is one sound really worth that much money or is it better to have a plethora of sounds for that amount?

If this isn't a rhetorical question, I'd have to go with the plethora. To twist the famous line from an old folk tale: Be cautious, be cautious... but not too cautious. To put it another way: Where is fancy bred? The heart, not even close. To put it another way: Buy it!

If Sacred Synthesis is the guy with the halo sitting on your right shoulder, he can wave across at me on the other end. :)

Lol I’ll probably end up with a System 88 DotCom modular, Deckards Dream And Prophet X by the end of the year cause of this forum haha.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2018, 07:49:09 PM »

Ah, Chysn, we've had this exact same disagreement before, and it was even over LoboLives and the Oberheim Two-Voice Pro.  All I'm saying - again - is that a musician should use their money wisely and choose their instrument prudently.  Art need not be a hedonistic plunge into irrational and purely subjective behavior, nor is it made any better by it.  It is only helped by the intellect and judicious, rather than impulsive, decisions.  That's my personal advice - take it or leave it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:18:06 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dsetto

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2018, 09:22:07 PM »
It's an interesting shift- DSI with a sample player and associated with a library of huge samples.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2018, 11:17:53 PM »
My understanding of this instrument is that it will have samples, not only of traditional instruments like piano and strings, not only the usual sound effects, but also samples of other classic synthesizers, including the Prophet 5.  How expansive will this be?  How many other synthesizers will be included?  A few, or many?  It's a shocking concept, and I'm not even sure if I like it. 

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2018, 11:38:04 PM »

Honestly, Bob, I do think this is an over-reaction.  If you'd prefer to have everything squeezed into one portable keyboard instrument, then I can understand your feelings.  But appreciate that we repeatedly say this when a new instrument appears; suddenly, all the others fade into the background as the NEW and PERFECT instrument shines. 

You are of course totally correct.

The thing is I haven't turned on the PEK for over a year, it isn't even wired up. The P12 (and P2) haven't been used since I messed up the motherboards, I have not even put the replaced motherboards back in yet. This is also over a year.

There is also a load of other kit I don't use, it all needs to go really. The only thing holding me back is the hassle of selling it all.

So the real questionIf I got an X is will be used or just go the same way?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2018, 12:26:51 AM »
It sounds like you've either lost interest, or else, you need an instrument that especially inspires you.  Personally, I find that too much stuff really wears me out.  There's nothing like a simple, clean, and minimal set up.  But when everything is hooked up, sometimes I'm annoyed even by having to turn on so many pieces in order to sit down and play. 

Maybe you do need just one magnificent instrument like the Prophet X, and then to leave it at that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:31:30 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2018, 01:50:34 AM »

You are of course totally correct.

The thing is I haven't turned on the PEK for over a year, it isn't even wired up. The P12 (and P2) haven't been used since I messed up the motherboards, I have not even put the replaced motherboards back in yet. This is also over a year.

There is also a load of other kit I don't use, it all needs to go really. The only thing holding me back is the hassle of selling it all.

So the real questionIf I got an X is will be used or just go the same way?
Ah I can smell a deal here ;-). I didn't follow Sacred's advice and bought a second hand Evolver Desktop anyway, upgraded it and replaced the buttons and I totally love it. So a second hand PEK ....... I am all in. Where do you live (I am in the Netherlands).

No offence Sacred ;-) I totally agree with your more practical approach. I have been investigating the best sequencer for my studio for more than 6 months now and still haven't made a decision. But I nailed down the possible candidates.