Prophet X Sounds

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prophet X Sounds
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 02:00:16 PM »
Actually the VS waves are included on the sample side. :) DSI just confirmed and I just recovered from a fainting spell.

Unbelievable!  You should be one happy man today, LoboLives

Does this mean we have a new Poly Evolver Keyboard - at least, pretty close to one?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 02:23:31 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »
Ah exciting times. This will make my S5000 obsolete  :) (though the S5000 has a lot more polyphony, but no analog filters/effects on board).

Can it also do FM between the oscillators and possible oscillators and instruments?

The oscillators and instruments can be modulation sources. And oscillator and instrument pitches are modulation destinations. And you can also use both to frequency modulate the filter.
Would FM be possible like that, I mean something like oscillator 1 modulating pitch of oscillator 2 or even picth of one of the instruments?

I presume as this is all in the digital domain yet, this could be done (like on the Evolver).
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 02:14:21 PM »
So just to check I'm reading this right...
This is a TWO oscillator synth, that allows you to use either DSP based oscillators wave shapes or sample based ones.
It not 2 DSP oscillators PLUS 2 sample based per voice (i.e there's not 4 oscillators per voice).
if I'm reading that correctly that's a real shame - as is the strange choice of polyphony. 8 in stereo but 16 in mono.
This was so close to being a monster.
Instead it seems a nice synth but not the 'killer' daddy synth I was hoping for.
Still - I suppose it keeps my Prophet 12 relevant and still unique in the DSI range which is fine by me! :)

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 02:16:05 PM »
Ah exciting times. This will make my S5000 obsolete  :) (though the S5000 has a lot more polyphony, but no analog filters/effects on board).

Can it also do FM between the oscillators and possible oscillators and instruments?

The oscillators and instruments can be modulation sources. And oscillator and instrument pitches are modulation destinations. And you can also use both to frequency modulate the filter.
Would FM be possible like that, I mean something like oscillator 1 modulating pitch of oscillator 2 or even picth of one of the instruments?

I presume as this is all in the digital domain yet, this could be done (like on the Evolver).

Yeah, you have all the necessary sources and destinations in the mod matrix. Consider that the filter frequency is a modulation destination as well. So you can, for example, have a sample modulate the filter frequency.

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 02:17:08 PM »
This is a TWO oscillator synth, that allows you to use either DSP based oscillators wave shapes or sample based ones.
It not 2 DSP oscillators PLUS 2 sample based per voice (i.e there's not 4 oscillators per voice).
if I'm reading that correctly that's a real shame - as is the strange choice of polyphony. 8 in stereo but 16 in mono.
Instead it seems a nice synth but not the 'killer' daddy synth I was hoping for.
Still - I suppose it keeps my Prophet 12 relevant and still unique in the DSI range which is fine by me! :)

You read that wrong. Per voice you get 2 samples and 2 oscillators. And they all can be panned individually.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »
That is not how I understand the specs:
  • 2 multi-sampled stereo instruments per voice
  • 2 digital oscillators per voice
Please correct me if I am.

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »
Correct.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »
This thing sounds amazing - great work! For future expansion, will the sample library import feature be limited to certain formats (Kontakt, EXS, Soundfont, Akai, etc.)?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »
If the Prophet X's samples include all of the VS/PEK digital wave shapes, are those wave shapes cleaned up, filled with the original aliasing, or is this variable by the user?

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 02:30:17 PM »
If the Prophet X's samples include all of the VS/PEK digital wave shapes, are those wave shapes cleaned up, filled with the original aliasing, or is this variable by the user?

There's a bit crusher and a decimate effect, so one can mess up the samples to one's delight.

dsetto

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 02:32:37 PM »
Lovely sounds, Paul, DSI. Well done!

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »
are those wave shapes cleaned up

I would assume they're not or there's the option as you mentioned. It would kinda defeat the purpose otherwise.

LoboLives

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 04:05:05 PM »
Actually the VS waves are included on the sample side. :) DSI just confirmed and I just recovered from a fainting spell.

Unbelievable!  You should be one happy man today, LoboLives

Does this mean we have a new Poly Evolver Keyboard - at least, pretty close to one?

I would say the approach is totally different.

LoboLives

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 04:08:03 PM »
Does it have acoustic and electric guitar and bass sounds?

How are the choir sounds?

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »

Ah okay, so that means a voice can be made up of FOUR oscillators (2 DSP and 2 samples) - is that right?

It's just that in Dave Smith's own blurb the describe it as a two oscillator synth (see link below).

https://2048ln27dggo3horm847q86q-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/DSI-Synth-Comparison-Chart-4.4.pdf

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2018, 06:39:56 PM »

Ah okay, so that means a voice can be made up of FOUR oscillators (2 DSP and 2 samples) - is that right?

It's just that in Dave Smith's own blurb the describe it as a two oscillator synth (see link below).

https://2048ln27dggo3horm847q86q-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/DSI-Synth-Comparison-Chart-4.4.pdf

Each oscillator (similar but not same as Prophet-12 / Pro-2) is mono: 2x
Each instrument is stereo and can bypass the filters: 2x stereo?

There are 16 filters, assembled in stereo pairs (8x) or mono instances (16x)

I'm guessing (but not certain) that there exists a maximum number of voices (16 mono / 8 stereo), but maybe it's possible to run 16 mono pairs of oscs (through the filters) aside sixteen mono (or stereo) instruments (bypassing the filters)?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:54:11 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 12:52:31 AM »
Some good stuff there Paul.

I keep hearing the wavestation in some of your clips and also other demos, something about the sound. Or is it just me?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 07:59:44 PM »

There's a bit crusher and a decimate effect, so one can mess up the samples to one's delight.

But those are not the same as the Evolver's inherent aliasing.  As you know, the Evolver's sparkling aliasing is one of its distinctive traits.  I was wondering if the PX could emulate this in an exact way.  It would require, of course, that each wave shape be sampled throughout its entire range, since the aliasing behaves differently, depending on the pitch of a note, as well as the cut off frequency setting.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:50:27 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 01:05:16 AM »
Very nice demo of some patches (20+ minutes) by Inhaltvideo:

https://youtu.be/bsfogjhNRmw

I am a bit breathless, calling the X cinematic is an understatement..........

LoboLives

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 04:13:38 AM »
Very nice demo of some patches (20+ minutes) by Inhaltvideo:

https://youtu.be/bsfogjhNRmw

I am a bit breathless, calling the X cinematic is an understatement..........

Some really gorgeous sounds on there. I think for me personally I'm likely never really going to use the oscillators at all but man there are some really great sounds in that video. Loving the choir and the ethnic sounds. Can easily do film soundtracks on this thing no problem and the ease of programming and manipulating the samples is going to be so beneficial as opposed to sitting at my Kurzweil and spending hours programming V.A.S.T.

You know I was watching a Reverb video discussing the music for Twin Peaks. While the music was composed in a classical manner on a Fender Rhodes it was actually recorded using synths like Emulator II, the DX7, Super Jupiter. It is described:

"You have classic composition and arrangement techniques transformed by playing them through what was cutting edge technology and instruments of the day. You bring this technique and this technology together and you end up with something that is both familiar but also new and otherwordly."

That statement to me, while not about the instrument in question, really defined what the Prophet X was about. Writing classical or jazz pieces on the sounds of a piano, choir, strings, brass or ethnic sounds but then suddenly manipulating those sounds with the hands on sculpting approach of analog synthesis. You can now get the expressiveness of articulations that these traditional instruments are capable of without having to spend hours menu diving but then you can go beyond what these traditional sounds are capable of and create completely new sounds.