Prophet X Sounds
« on: May 01, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »
Here are a couple of sounds I did for the Prophet X:

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/sets/sequential-prophet-x

Enjoy!

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prophet X Sounds
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 12:22:45 PM »
Quite nice, Paul.  The PX seems like it could be a composer's favorite tool.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »

Thanks! And it brings back one of your favorite features: the stereo filters. On top of that you can freely pan the oscillators and instruments.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 12:37:53 PM »
Yeah Paul, it sounds great.  Everything I'm hearing from this synth gets my heart racing.  I like that it still has a serious synthesizer side to it as well; it's not strictly a sample playback device.  It's like part Prophet 12, and like a modern version of a JD-800 and V-Synth all in one.  And they said time travel to the future was impossible! 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »

Thanks! And it brings back one of your favorite features: the stereo filters. On top of that you can freely pan the oscillators and instruments.

Beautiful.  I'd love to hear harpsichord and forte piano samples.  Again, this could be a primary tool for a composer, since it covers both worlds of traditional instruments and synthesizer.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:42:42 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »

Beautiful.  I'd love to hear harpsichord and forte piano samples.  Again, this could be a primary tool for a composer, since it covers both worlds of traditional instruments and synthesizer.

There's a not too heavily mangled piano sound in examples 9 and 10, only processed by the effects. Example 1 contains a backwards played chopped sample loop of a piano that is position-modulated.

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 12:52:01 PM »
From the specs it looks like the synth side of things is a bit basic in terms of the Waveshapes...I take it no P12 or VS waves?

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 12:53:54 PM »
From the specs it looks like the synth side of things is a bit basic in terms of the Waveshapes...I take it no P12 or VS waves?

No. The waveshapes for the oscillators are: sine, saw, pulse, and super saw, all waveshape modulatable.

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »

No. The waveshapes for the oscillators are: sine, saw, pulse, and super saw, all waveshape modulatable.

Darn, well that's alright that sort of cements the Prophet 12 as still being needed....until next year that is when they do a new VS ;)

Who knows though, maybe we might get them for future updates.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »

Darn, well that's alright that sort of cements the Prophet 12 as still being needed....until next year that is when they do a new VS ;)

Who knows though, maybe we might get them for future updates.

Nope, as there are already buttons assigned that allow for the selection of each particular waveform. The Prophet 12 remains it's own thing and is not related to the Prophet X in the sense that the Prophet X could be perceived as its successor. Both are entirely different synths for different purposes that also sound different.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 01:03:50 PM »
I like that!  Very smart on DSI's part.

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »
Agreed actually. One synth at a time. Maybe the next DSI synth will have the VS waves and what not...but until then the Prophet X is in my sights.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 01:14:42 PM »
With a sampling instrument now finally in the DSI line up, perhaps the possibility of a VS/PEK-type hybrid instrument is a tad more likely.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 01:18:55 PM »

There's a not too heavily mangled piano sound in examples 9 and 10, only processed by the effects. Example 1 contains a backwards played chopped sample loop of a piano that is position-modulated.

It will come down to hearing the whole assortment of sampled sounds.  It will certainly include a large number of things bizarre - that's the nature of the field.  But how many traditional instruments will be included?  That's my concern for now.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »

It will come down to hearing the whole assortment of sampled sounds.  It will certainly include a large number of things bizarre - that's the nature of the field.  But how many traditional instruments will be included?  That's my concern for now.

There are quite a lot of pianos (acoustic and electric) and orchestral instruments, form strings to brass ensembles and solo instruments.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 01:37:00 PM »
Ah exciting times. This will make my S5000 obsolete  :) (though the S5000 has a lot more polyphony, but no analog filters/effects on board).

Can it also do FM between the oscillators and possible oscillators and instruments?
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 01:37:39 PM »
Again, it's harpsichord that first interests me, and second, forte piano.  But this all sounds very hopeful. 

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »
Again, it's harpsichord that first interests me, and second, forte piano.  But this all sounds very hopeful.

8DIO offer a variety of samples, so they could possibly make a sound set like this available.

LoboLives

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 01:48:19 PM »
Actually the VS waves are included on the sample side. :) DSI just confirmed and I just recovered from a fainting spell.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 01:48:30 PM »
Ah exciting times. This will make my S5000 obsolete  :) (though the S5000 has a lot more polyphony, but no analog filters/effects on board).

Can it also do FM between the oscillators and possible oscillators and instruments?

The oscillators and instruments can be modulation sources. And oscillator and instrument pitches are modulation destinations. And you can also use both to frequency modulate the filter.