Help! Set split point not working [SOLVED]

Help! Set split point not working [SOLVED]
« on: April 28, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »
According to Rev2 User's Guide (page 9) the split point is set by making sure that the split A|B button is lit, and then holding down this button while pressing a key on the keyboard to set the start point for layer B. I've tried this  several times, but nothing happens. Have I overlooked something? How do I set the split point?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:36:06 AM by extempo »

jg666

Re: Help! Set split point not working
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »
It works OK for me following those instructions. What patch are you doing it on? Is it one that is already a split type patch?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
I've tried setting split point on several patches, both factory presets and self-made patches. All of them have a split point on C. When I hold down the Split A|B-button and press a key, the only thing that happens, is that the Split-button is turned off when I let it go. And when I then turn it on again, nothing has changed.

jg666

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »
Weird! Are you on the latest firmware version?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 02:42:04 PM »
Well, I only had the OS 1.1.0.1, so I just upgraded it 1.1.0.3. But the problem remains the same, so I sendt a message to DSI Support. Hopefully, they can figure this out.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 09:12:57 PM »
Are you turning it on, then holding the button a second time while hitting a key? Rather than not having split on, then while holding the button to turn it on hitting they key you wish to be the split point?

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 10:36:48 AM »
Yes. The User’s instruction says that the Split button should be lit before pressing and holding while pressing a key. I have also tried the same procedure with the Split button unlit, but it makes no difference.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
If you try this: select patch F1 P1 LosVangelis2041, then press the Split A/B button, then press it again and hold it whilst playing a key on the keyboard and release the Split button. You should end up with a simili-string patch on the left part of the keyboard, and the same sound but with an added arpeggiator on the right side when hold notes.

If that doesn't happen, then there's something wrong. BTW, do you have the keyboard version or the new desktop ? 
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 11:26:19 AM »
I have tried what you suggest, and it doesn’t work. The split remains on middle c. I have the 8 voice desktop version.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 12:21:21 PM »
This might possibly be a bug in the firmware for the desktop versions, where the unit doesn't take into account the selected split point from an external MIDI controller ?
I would strongly suggest you contact DSI support about it via email, they're usually quick to respond (during regular business hours).

EDIT: I've tried it with my REV2 (keyboard version) when controlling it with another synth as a MIDI controller (an Oberheim Matrix-6), and it doesn't work on my REV2 either.
Unless there's another way to select the split point for desktops units via an external keyboard which isn't described in the manual ? (maybe there's a manual addendum leaflet for desktops units that came with your REV2 in the box ?)

NOTE: you can still change the split point by pressing MISC PARAMS knob, and then turning the PARAMETER knob until you see SPLIT POINT on the display, and changing it with the VALUE knob. Until the shortcut of selecting it with a key is worked out for desktop units.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:45:04 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »
Thanks! I’m also suspecting a bug, so I sent the DSI Support an email earlier today. I’ll keep you updated, as soon as I know more.

EDIT: Thank you very much for the tip about the Misc parameters menu! That at least solves the problem of setting a split point.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:02:55 PM by Eohsachs »

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 02:46:54 PM »
Thanks! I’m also suspecting a bug, so I sent the DSI Support an email earlier today. I’ll keep you updated, as soon as I know more.

EDIT: Thank you very much for the tip about the Misc parameters menu! That at least solves the problem of setting a split point.

You're welcome. Looking forward to what DSI will say about it. In the meantime, enjoy your REV2 !

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 02:27:54 PM »
Today I got an answer from DSI Technical support. It turns out that there's nothing wrong with my REV2. They wrote: "There is no ability to set the split point on the desktop Rev2 using an external keyboard controller. This is due to the fact that there is no way to determine whether a MIDI note sent to the desktop is meant to control the SPLIT point or trigger a note". So the only way to assign the split point for the desktop is using the SPLIT POINT parameter in the misc params section.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out, AlainHubert!

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 03:08:09 PM »
 ;)

I guess DSI will eventually create an addendum to the user manual to cover those little details for the desktop units...

jg666

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 12:31:06 AM »
Today I got an answer from DSI Technical support. It turns out that there's nothing wrong with my REV2. They wrote: "There is no ability to set the split point on the desktop Rev2 using an external keyboard controller. This is due to the fact that there is no way to determine whether a MIDI note sent to the desktop is meant to control the SPLIT point or trigger a note". So the only way to assign the split point for the desktop is using the SPLIT POINT parameter in the misc params section.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out, AlainHubert!

That's good to know. At least you have the other method of setting the split point available to you :) Any further purchases I make of DSI gear might have to be the desktop version due to lack of space so this information will hopefully stick in my mind!