High end preamp ideal for P8?

High end preamp ideal for P8?
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:47:19 PM »
Could anybody give me any advice on a really nice high end preamp that would give the P8 alot of character when recording into daw?

thanks for any input.  :)

Re: High end preamp ideal for P8?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:24:26 PM »
How much cash?

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 11:27:01 AM »

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 07:42:19 PM »
I forget that a DI can do the job really well to add color and punchiness to your sounds.

If I am going to use the Vermona analog drum machine and the p8 as my main synths what DI/Preamp could you guys consider being High end for these two analog synths?

I want to bring the best out of both of these two synths basically. There are so many preamps/DI's out there I am not quite sure which one I should invest in since I want to drop around 1200-1500 at most.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 12:46:05 AM »
Maybe you should look at some sort of channel strip, something with EQ and a compressor rather than just a straight preamp?

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »
Maybe you should look at some sort of channel strip, something with EQ and a compressor rather than just a straight preamp?

I was thinking of that honestly, but I dont know because I have a buddy who mixes in analog with outboard gear and I usually just send him my tracks if they are going to be used.

I just need a nice Preamp that help boost the signal so  I dont have to record in so hot. I dont know why but the P8 doesent give me the level I want unless I turn up the master volume pretty high.

Its my first analog synth so i'm still fairly new to recording since IVe been a daw based producer for years.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 12:10:33 PM »
To be quite honest preamps make a minor difference to line level devices like synths, what are you currently connecting it to?

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »
To be quite honest preamps make a minor difference to line level devices like synths, what are you currently connecting it to?

Agreed - I'd be going for a totally clean signal, and relying on the P-8 options to add whatever colour is needed.

However, if you want lots of colour, perhaps a tube preamp with transformer coupling and built-in compressor option would be more suitable.

Martin

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »

Agreed - I'd be going for a totally clean signal, and relying on the P-8 options to add whatever colour is needed.

However, if you want lots of colour, perhaps a tube preamp with transformer coupling and built-in compressor option would be more suitable.

Martin

Thats true actually. How about this Tube preamp right here is this one good for something like the P8?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261578782730?rmvSB=true

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »

Martin

Thats true actually. How about this Tube preamp right here is this one good for something like the P8?

That might work well actually if you can afford it - it's got four channels and you only need two for the stereo output of the P8, but it's certainly good for adding colour - here's the SOS reivew of the two-channel version:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/may08/articles/vmp2000evu.htm

I do think it's a lot of money just to add an edge to the P8 sounds though ;)

Martin

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »

Martin

That might work well actually if you can afford it - it's got four channels and you only need two for the stereo output of the P8, but it's certainly good for adding colour - here's the SOS reivew of the two-channel version:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/may08/articles/vmp2000evu.htm

I do think it's a lot of money just to add an edge to the P8 sounds though ;)

Martin

I think I might just not actually lol. I understand your point as well.

Could you asnwer this quick question? Is it bad to connect your P8 to the mic inputs on an interface? Specifically Steinberg UR44. I never knew this and I feel like I'm getting a bit better recordings going Line input on the back of the interface but not by much...

Is it better I just crank the volume of the p8 to almost full and record that way?

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 05:01:24 PM »
You really do need to plug in your P8 to the two line inputs on the rear panel of your Steinberg UR44.

These can be switched in sensitivity between +4dBu and –10dBV, and the latter should make up for any insensitivity.

If you've been using your mic inputs then I suspect you'll be more than pleased with the improvement when you run the line outputs of your P8 into the line inputs of the interface. A match hopefully made in heaven! ;)

Martin

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 07:41:34 PM »
You really do need to plug in your P8 to the two line inputs on the rear panel of your Steinberg UR44.

These can be switched in sensitivity between +4dBu and –10dBV, and the latter should make up for any insensitivity.

If you've been using your mic inputs then I suspect you'll be more than pleased with the improvement when you run the line outputs of your P8 into the line inputs of the interface. A match hopefully made in heaven! ;)

Martin

ive been getting much better results by following your suggestion. :) thanks.

It sounds awesome..

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 12:26:19 AM »
That saved some money then :)

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 08:24:55 AM »

It sounds awesome..

Glad you're sorted - always brings a smile to the face when you solve a problem without spending any money  ;)

Martin

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 04:00:30 PM »

It sounds awesome..

Glad you're sorted - always brings a smile to the face when you solve a problem without spending any money  ;)

Martin

I appreciate the help Martin.  :D...Glad I dont need to spend money there either! lol