Prophet X Speculation

Re: Prophet X Speculation
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2018, 08:10:46 AM »
Synths without built-in effects probably demo poorly enough in a retail setting that manufacturers feel obliged to include something.  There's arguably some merit to having per-patch effects settings so you can showcase a sound + effects combination that might inspire something worthwhile.

When recording, though?  Most effects wouldn't make sense baked into a track.  Where I find the odd rare exception is in a patch where high quality effects are modulated as part of the performance.  Not enough synth designs go deep enough here to make this a meaningful distinction, but I absolutely adore Kurzweil's KDFX for flexibility.  I'm looking forward to getting my Prophet X to see what category it inhabits.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2018, 08:33:49 AM »
Synths without built-in effects probably demo poorly enough in a retail setting that manufacturers feel obliged to include something.  There's arguably some merit to having per-patch effects settings so you can showcase a sound + effects combination that might inspire something worthwhile.

When recording, though?  Most effects wouldn't make sense baked into a track.  Where I find the odd rare exception is in a patch where high quality effects are modulated as part of the performance.  Not enough synth designs go deep enough here to make this a meaningful distinction, but I absolutely adore Kurzweil's KDFX for flexibility.  I'm looking forward to getting my Prophet X to see what category it inhabits.

Sure... but even without being able to actually modulate the FX parameters from a Mod Matrix, effects can radically change a preset's nature, be it spatial or modulation FX... enough to see them as an actual building block important to the preset in itself... this approach is not possible with external FX, they are more like "add ons" ... I agree that having a different reverb for each track can get out of hand since a reverb is basically an environmental FX where all sounds should "reside inside it", but any other FX could very well be different for each and every track without it sounding "wrong"... even in some cases, different reverbs could also be an advantage, especially in atmospheres, sound FX etc...

This is why any synth these days should have their own quality FX onboard, and of course a dedicated "FX OFF!" button, if  it gets out of hand... because I also know that you can end up with way too much FX, drowning everything in mud and destroying the stereo perspective if every track boasts it's own stereo choruses, flangers, phasers, delays reverbs etc...

Point is; I'd rather switch things OFF, than have to add-on FX for every single track i do... but that's a personal thing of course... others may feel otherwise :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

DMS

« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2018, 12:04:33 PM »
Hello community  ;)  long time dsi owner here. Just dropping in before the X lands. I currently have an OB6 and a Pro2 in studio, and I’m anxiously awaiting the Prophet X. I guess I could see the Pro2 being  a bit redundant, but I really doubt it  :).  Hope to hear you new owners feedback soon. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:08:38 PM by DMS »

ddp

« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »
I'm keeping my Prophet 6 until hell freezes over, but I have listed the Rev2/16.  I also decommissioned the rest of my Nord gear, a Lead 3 and Rack 3.  I have a nice space for the Prophet X staked out under the Prophet 6 where the Rev2 was living.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2018, 11:58:04 PM »
Nice interview with Dave Smith and footage of Prophet X release party (link starts there) by AudioNowcast:

https://youtu.be/j-yqvFxIc7k?t=15m19s

Note: Posted this video twice. But it kind of fits everywhere in the forum  :)
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #205 on: June 13, 2018, 02:54:21 AM »
The new superplate is FANTASTIC, I really struggled NOT to use it on every patch I made.

DMS

« Reply #206 on: June 13, 2018, 05:23:02 AM »
@bobule, did you have chance to try out the playlist function? Looks like a nice addition for live play or sketch pad type applications. Oh and thanks   :)   for the soundcloud demo’s, seems the Prophet X has some serious depth to it!

DMS

« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2018, 01:00:24 PM »
My Prophet X is ariving tomorrow  ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:02:21 PM by DMS »

« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »
Whoa!  Congratulations!  It looks like mine will be shipping today, but it’s taking a little longer to make its way here.

DMS

« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2018, 01:24:25 PM »
Thanks full steam ahead

DMS

« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2018, 12:48:52 PM »
No more speculating for me. I just took possession of my X.

« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2018, 04:46:38 PM »

Got mine too!

DMS

« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2018, 05:33:55 PM »

Got mine too!

Nice hard to gig when it’s Christmas morning, start a new users thread

ddp

« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2018, 06:04:32 PM »
Mine's showing up at 8Dio HQ on Monday, I'll probably go pick it up.  How exciting!
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

DMS

« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2018, 10:14:02 AM »
Mine's showing up at 8Dio HQ on Monday, I'll probably go pick it up.  How exciting!

Nice!  I can tell you this much, I just lost 4 hours  ;)   so much to explore but so easy to get caught up on one sound.  It’s a very very expressive instrument it begs for good chops in all styles. Oh and the stereo sound is fantastic especially on the synth side stellar

DMS

« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2018, 02:37:48 PM »
Jaw is dropped! These samples thru these filters is nothing short of spectacular. Man nice job dsi! And 8dio of course

niagarasynths

« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2018, 09:17:03 PM »
How is the build quality on the X ? I had a P12 (which looks very similar to the X)and it was good. My experience with the Rev 2 was not really satisfactory. I'm hoping the X is better quality. Still waiting for a list of samples as well, and if the Prophet 5 and CP 70 samples are all they are said to be.

DMS

« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2018, 09:46:10 AM »
Yes, build quality is equal to the OB6 and Pro2 perfect for me. Layering the X and OB6 is incredible, still honeymooning, but omg this thing delivers. Just lost hours modulating instrument 1&2 choirs with lfo’s panning etc etc, spent half the day yesterday just doing onboard sequencer jam’s with the PX OB6 and PRO2  ;D  a pure pleasure to say the least
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:51:45 AM by DMS »

niagarasynths

« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2018, 11:03:17 AM »
Good to hear. How about strings and the Prophet 5 and CP samples?
It's going to be a while before we get this in The Great White North.

DMS

« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2018, 11:48:24 AM »
The Prophet 5 and CP70 are add on packs so not on board, the strings are fantastic to my ears I’m not a sample head I’m a player, haven’t tried them all of course but the demo’s don’t lie. The thing to keep in mind is even a short stab that you may never solo could be mangled a multitude of ways and easily. The stereo filters sound fantastic and if you describe the OB6 as frothy, then the PX would be creamy, mind you that’s my take, mileage may vary, and I’m just scratching the surface.   ;)