Prophet X Speculation

ddp

Re: Prophet X Speculation
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »
As a software engineer, I'd say adequate.  Dave wants you to play with it and not obsess over features.  Their support is awesome.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2018, 07:22:24 PM »
The only manual I have is the Prophet '08 manual, and it's relatively sparse, but well written. As an example of the sparseness, it assumes you are familiar with subtractive synthesis then gives an explanation for each control. The explanations are very concise but provide just the amount of information you need to use the controls effectively. It's more of a reference than a tutorial or user guide.

LoboLives

« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2018, 10:15:38 PM »
It was tempting to go directly through 8Dio, but I stuck with Sweetwater for warranty and return policy reasons.  Hopefully that doesn't mean much, if any, delay from the original launch.  They didn't have the pre-order list set up when I called, and confirmed that I'll be in the very first batch to go out from them.

... and yes, I got the same impression regarding the manual.  I offered to help proof-read early drafts but they don't seem to have taken the bait.  All I can say is Waldorf could have used someone with a reasonable grasp of both the technology and the English language to go over the manual before release.

Favorite phrases include the description of Spectrum Skew which reads "Determines the level of the partials in relation to themselves", a statement regarding the Oscillator Mixer that makes the unqualified statement "The LED below the dial doesn’t light up", the delightfully vague note "Due to the fact that the Quantum offers eight analog filter voices the maximum polyphony is about eight voices", and perhaps my favorite: "The graphic display of the waveform may give an idea of what exactly is happening. Otherwise the result is far from accurate."

Even at v3 the Kurzweil Forte manual still has a handful of curious statements that could have used an editorial pass.  Having not owned a DSI product before, what kind of shape are the manuals usually in?

Insanely friendly and easy to follow.  I actually leaned more about synthesis and my Prophet 6 (which doesn’t have a menu) in a day than I did from my Sub 37 and its manual for a few months.

ddp

« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2018, 08:01:21 PM »
The Moog manuals were written by engineers. Dave wants you to twist knobs and push buttons. Same thing.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2018, 07:59:25 AM »
I'm hoping for MPE mode, if not, then after the release?

Please Please Please.

LoboLives

« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2018, 09:02:58 AM »
I'm hoping for MPE mode, if not, then after the release?

Please Please Please.

Dave spoke about this in his interview with Paul Dither. Although the keyboard of the Prophet X does respond to pressure it doesn't send out MPE. However, Dave said it is something that are considering working on because the market seems to be missing a MPE type controller built with an internal synth engine. The issue is traditional synth action keys might prove problematic for MPE. The keys would need to be something like a McMillian K-Board 4 or even a ribbon controller for slides above Prophet T8/CS-80 Piano action keys which would take a lot of synth players to get used to. I personally would like it, it would certainly be unique in today's synth market.

« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2018, 09:12:29 AM »
It was tempting to go directly through 8Dio, but I stuck with Sweetwater for warranty and return policy reasons.  Hopefully that doesn't mean much, if any, delay from the original launch.  They didn't have the pre-order list set up when I called, and confirmed that I'll be in the very first batch to go out from them.

... and yes, I got the same impression regarding the manual.  I offered to help proof-read early drafts but they don't seem to have taken the bait.  All I can say is Waldorf could have used someone with a reasonable grasp of both the technology and the English language to go over the manual before release.

Favorite phrases include the description of Spectrum Skew which reads "Determines the level of the partials in relation to themselves", a statement regarding the Oscillator Mixer that makes the unqualified statement "The LED below the dial doesn’t light up", the delightfully vague note "Due to the fact that the Quantum offers eight analog filter voices the maximum polyphony is about eight voices", and perhaps my favorite: "The graphic display of the waveform may give an idea of what exactly is happening. Otherwise the result is far from accurate."

Even at v3 the Kurzweil Forte manual still has a handful of curious statements that could have used an editorial pass.  Having not owned a DSI product before, what kind of shape are the manuals usually in?

In general, the manuals are pretty well crafted, with the only caveat being the need to download the original manual plus all subsequent addenda in order to fully describe the operation of the synth.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

ddp

« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2018, 09:43:07 AM »
It doesn’t have MPE nor does it have polyphonic aftertouch, only channel.

I came away from MoogFest determined to explore alternative controllers.  I have my sight on the Linnstrument and on the Madrona Labs SoundPlane and everyone should check out the Marimba Lumina, one of the last things designed by Don Buchla with Joel Davel.  It’s a giant MIDI controller in marimba configuration with extra pads and strips above the marimba keys for performance control.  It has an 80 character display and an onboard synthesizer in addition to being a complete MIDI controller.  Each of the four mallets is individually recognized and the board is splitable.

So were DSI to do something in the MPE space, I’d be very interested as well.  And if they’re really considering a 76 note version of the Prophet X, I also hope they’ll consider adding a Voyager XL style touch strip above the main keyboard.  That should be relatively simple to do and cheap enough.   I love the two new touch strips.  More touch controls, please.

« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2018, 10:08:21 AM »
I understand now that it would be a problem to have MPE on the keyboard but as for connecting an external device such as a Linnstrument, I don't see how this would be complimented to implement. Surely there will be firmware updates. I own a Linnstrument and the samples on this machine could be ideal for it if only it had MPE mode. Still quite nice without it though I imagine, especially with a Touche controller.

ddp

« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2018, 10:31:21 AM »
Maybe we’ll all be pleasantly surprised when the manual comes out.  MPE’s coming and Dave must be thinking about it.

« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »
It doesn’t have MPE nor does it have polyphonic aftertouch, only channel.

The Prophet X doesn't have Poly AT built into the keybed, but it does respond to Poly AT via MIDI. In fact, all of our polyphonic synths respond to Poly AT via MIDI.
SEQUENTIAL

LoboLives

« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »
Something like this might work if it was built into a synthesizer.

https://img.audiofanzine.com/images/u/product/normal/keith-mcmillen-instruments-k-board-pro-4-244813.png

But I am still attracted to the idea of an analog synth engine with piano action keys like the Prophet T8 or CS-80.

niagarasynths

« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
I grew up on a CS80 and then an Ensoniq SD-1 and finally a TS 10. I would love to see another synth with poly aftertouch. It's just so much more expressive and adds "realism". I'm going to trade my Montage in for the X...maybe they'll release a poly retrofit for it...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:44:09 PM by niagarasynths »

LoboLives

« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2018, 10:01:47 PM »
I grew up on a CS80 and then an Ensoniq SD-1 and finally a TS 10. I would love to see another synth with poly aftertouch. It's just so much more expressive and adds "realism". I'm going to trade my Montage in for the X...maybe they'll release a poly retrofit for it...

You could use an external controller as all of DSI's gear supports MPE from an external device. It's more or less the keybed itself being MPE that's the issue.

niagarasynths

« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2018, 10:53:52 AM »
The TS-10 works in the studio(where it stays because it's not totally reliable for the stage) for everything as far as transmitting Poly AT. Most of my synths respond to it. I just miss using a live keyboard with Poly.

« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2018, 11:44:40 AM »

You could use an external controller as all of DSI's gear supports MPE from an external device. It's more or less the keybed itself being MPE that's the issue.

Just to clarify, all our poly stuff supports Poly AT over MIDI, not MPE.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2018, 12:01:51 PM »
The real problem is finding a manufacturer who still makes and supports a poly AT controller.  Fatar doesn’t even offer it as an option anymore AFAIK, and doubtless that simply reflects a lack of demand from manufacturers.  Sniff.

Just to clarify, all our poly stuff supports Poly AT over MIDI, not MPE.

Here’s hoping an additional qualifier gets added to this statement in the not-too-distant future.  I’d love to see MPE support added to the Prophet X, and failing that, some future DSI gear.

« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2018, 12:15:04 PM »
The real problem is finding a manufacturer who still makes and supports a poly AT controller.  Fatar doesn’t even offer it as an option anymore AFAIK, and doubtless that simply reflects a lack of demand from manufacturers.  Sniff.

You are correct that there are no OEM keybeds on the market that offer Poly AT. Fatar have been asked about this before, rest assured. A company of our size is not going to tip the boat on this one.

SEQUENTIAL

LoboLives

« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »

You are correct that there are no OEM keybeds on the market that offer Poly AT. Fatar have been asked about this before, rest assured. A company of our size is not going to tip the boat on this one.

What about the Synton guys?

Bartosz Kwiecinski

• Synths to make and do.
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2018, 11:08:26 AM »
Hey Folks

Do we already know if the PX will have a chord mode like the P6 or the OB6?