Prophet X Speculation

Quai34

• FORMER PROFESSOR AT THE UNIVERSITY OF SAINT-BONIFA
Re: Prophet X Speculation
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2018, 08:33:45 PM »
The filter sounds just like my Prophet '08. Samples sound beautiful. Curse you Dave Smith! How am I going to get the money?!
Same question for me!!!! I'm still paying my financing on my Prophet 12 that I bought last year....Used...It was not planned but the deal was n the store was a "too good to pass on"....Well, the OB6 module might come before this one....
Stage 2, NL2X+TC Pedals, Nord C2, Matrix 1000 X2, Proteus 2000, Prophet 12 & P08//Tetra+Eventide H9, TX802, Roland D50+PG1000, AX5080, AX keytar, Waldorf Streichfett, 2 Yorkville PS-10P, Bass: Ibanez SR1200+G&L L2000. Guitars: G&L Legacy HSS, Asat Blueboys, Asat Deluxe Savanna, Ibanez Artstar AS153

dsetto

« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2018, 08:38:20 AM »
... Ram and fast N-type Flash are expensive. There are basically two tech solutions - 1, use a solid state disk (like Korg with the Kronos) or 2, fudge cheap Flash (like the Kurzweil Forte) both have draw backs.

Looks like DSI have chosen the Korg Kronos route.. Solid state disk and ram. This is quite a good compromise once you've got the sample data loaded into ram.. But it will make boot up slow for big sample instruments.

The benefits will be the speed of the key-to-sound response, fast ram based play back is always going to be better than the latency you get with Kurzweil's solution.
Kurz's solution gives you multi gigabyte samples - 16gb of which 3.3gb are user loadable all of which is immediately accessible, this is certainly enough to do most things I ever need, in comparison DSI's 150gb x4 of ram is brilliant! The thing with the Kurz though is all samples are immediately accessible once booted.
Interesting thoughts!
Can you expand on your thoughts of the Forte? Specifically, how has Kurzweil fudged cheap flash? Can you perceive 'key press-to-sound latency' on it?

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »
I had a chat with Dave about the Prophet X for a special episode of „Nodes & Wires“: https://youtu.be/13qRhwx6zFI

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »
Very informative, Paul.  Thanks.

chysn

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2018, 12:59:27 PM »
I had a chat with Dave about the Prophet X for a special episode of „Nodes & Wires“: https://youtu.be/13qRhwx6zFI

I watched this this afternoon. My client hasn't provided user stories, so my scrum meeting status was, "I'm watching synthesizer videos on YouTube. No roadblocks." They'll either fire me or take the hint.

Anyway... thanks for doing this! It's always interesting to hear what Dave has to say. For me the part on multi-trimbality was thought-provoking because--having paid attention to DSI for eight years--I've sort of internalized the idea that multi-timbrality was an obsolete concept, or at least anachronistic.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2018, 01:22:35 PM »

I watched this this afternoon. My client hasn't provided user stories, so my scrum meeting status was, "I'm watching synthesizer videos on YouTube. No roadblocks." They'll either fire me or take the hint.

It pays to be agile, lol.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2018, 02:28:12 PM »

Haha! - Thanks for watching.

LoboLives

« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2018, 10:38:23 PM »
I wonder if the sequencer is the same as the Prophet REV2. I actually had no idea that sequencer had different tracks per sequence.

If that’s the case then once user defined multisamples start coming up, does that mean one could do a drum track, a bass track, string track under a single sequence?

« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2018, 02:56:48 AM »
I wonder if the sequencer is the same as the Prophet REV2. I actually had no idea that sequencer had different tracks per sequence.

The sequencer is the same poly sequencer as to be found in the Rev2, i.e. you can record up to 64 steps with up to 6 notes per step including rests and ties. This is not to be confused with the gated sequencer of the Rev2, which is mainly for modulation purposes.

If that’s the case then once user defined multisamples start coming up, does that mean one could do a drum track, a bass track, string track under a single sequence?

No. With the poly sequencer you can record one individual track per layer. Since the PX is bitimbral, this means that you can record up to two different sequences or tracks per stacked or split program. You could, however, record a full drum track per sequence and layer. All you need for that is a multi-sampled drum kit spread across the keyboard (for example with the bass drum on C, snare on D, hi-hat on G, etc.). The PX will contain a couple of drum kits already when shipped.

LoboLives

« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2018, 08:33:41 AM »

The sequencer is the same poly sequencer as to be found in the Rev2, i.e. you can record up to 64 steps with up to 6 notes per step including rests and ties. This is not to be confused with the gated sequencer of the Rev2, which is mainly for modulation purposes.

No. With the poly sequencer you can record one individual track per layer. Since the PX is bitimbral, this means that you can record up to two different sequences or tracks per stacked or split program. You could, however, record a full drum track per sequence and layer. All you need for that is a multi-sampled drum kit spread across the keyboard (for example with the bass drum on C, snare on D, hi-hat on G, etc.). The PX will contain a couple of drum kits already when shipped.

Go to 12:04....he says there's 6 tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4r8Zwy40a4

« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2018, 08:52:45 AM »

Well, then I assume the translation is off. It should say 6 notes, not tracks. The poly sequencer has only one track that allows you to record up to 6 notes per step. The gated sequencer of the Rev2 on the other side allows you to record 4 tracks. The poly sequencer of the PX is exactly the same as the one in the Prophet-6, OB-6, and Rev2.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:55:36 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2018, 11:35:39 AM »
The sequencer in the PX is identical to the poly sequencer in the P6/OB-6/Rev2 in terms of functionality. There is more editing capability due to the large central display. A "track" is simply a note--the specific lingo in the UI is "Chord Note". You can have up to 6 Chord notes per step.

SEQUENTIAL

LoboLives

« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2018, 11:48:15 AM »

Well, then I assume the translation is off. It should say 6 notes, not tracks. The poly sequencer has only one track that allows you to record up to 6 notes per step. The gated sequencer of the Rev2 on the other side allows you to record 4 tracks. The poly sequencer of the PX is exactly the same as the one in the Prophet-6, OB-6, and Rev2.

So strange cause you clearly see in the video him scrolling through “Tracks” and it’s still on Poly Sequence Mode.

« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2018, 12:11:41 PM »
The OS changes quite frequently prior to release, including elements of the UI getting tweaked. Take my word for it, I'm sitting about a foot away from a PX at this very moment.
SEQUENTIAL

LoboLives

« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »
The OS changes quite frequently prior to release, including elements of the UI getting tweaked. Take my word for it, I'm sitting about a foot away from a PX at this very moment.

No I believe you. I guess the video got my hopes up in a sense.

dsetto

« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2018, 04:02:01 PM »
#cooljobs

ddp

« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2018, 12:29:57 PM »
I'm at Moogfest and played with a production quality prototype all morning.  It had a suspend pedal on it and pianos sound lovely.   Lots of crazy sounds indeed. Controls are very intuitive.  It's very fun to play.

I wish they'd add a Voyager style control strip across the whole area above the keybed and I'd love a 76 note version for the samples, but it's awesome as it is.

I am extremely happy to have traded a Nord Stage 3 88 for this beast.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2018, 03:32:27 PM »
Did they have anything further to say about a delivery schedule?  "Early June" should be coming up fast, but somehow the days seem to crawl by at a fraction of their usual pace.

ddp

« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2018, 04:36:01 PM »
That’s still the word.  The hardware appears to be ready before the manual... Ha!

Gerry did say that they understood the desire for a user upgradable drive.  It ships with a 250GB SSD, I think.   User loadable samples due in December.  I have been given a download code already.

I ordered from 8Dio directly.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2018, 05:29:25 PM »
It was tempting to go directly through 8Dio, but I stuck with Sweetwater for warranty and return policy reasons.  Hopefully that doesn't mean much, if any, delay from the original launch.  They didn't have the pre-order list set up when I called, and confirmed that I'll be in the very first batch to go out from them.

... and yes, I got the same impression regarding the manual.  I offered to help proof-read early drafts but they don't seem to have taken the bait.  All I can say is Waldorf could have used someone with a reasonable grasp of both the technology and the English language to go over the manual before release.

Favorite phrases include the description of Spectrum Skew which reads "Determines the level of the partials in relation to themselves", a statement regarding the Oscillator Mixer that makes the unqualified statement "The LED below the dial doesn’t light up", the delightfully vague note "Due to the fact that the Quantum offers eight analog filter voices the maximum polyphony is about eight voices", and perhaps my favorite: "The graphic display of the waveform may give an idea of what exactly is happening. Otherwise the result is far from accurate."

Even at v3 the Kurzweil Forte manual still has a handful of curious statements that could have used an editorial pass.  Having not owned a DSI product before, what kind of shape are the manuals usually in?