Prophet X Speculation

LoboLives

Re: Prophet X
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2018, 03:30:09 AM »
Of course until the specifications are advised it is pure speculation but...

It would be great if it could load user sounds/samples (at least as an option) into the unit via standard audio L/R 1/4" (6.35mm)jacks  and they could be adjusted within the unit as opposed to just loading samples that have to be pre-formatted/set in with an SD card prior to.

Of course everyone's situation is different and I am pretty sure this will be a great instrument, but I for one would really go for the Emulator 2 /Prophet 2000 style approach at least as an option for people who like to use the instrument without having to resort to a computer to record  the samples prior to loading into the unit.?

Just a thought...

So direct input like so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOAdE86ZxxE

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2018, 03:45:56 AM »

It would be great if it could load user sounds/samples (at least as an option) into the unit via standard audio L/R 1/4" (6.35mm)jacks  and they could be adjusted within the unit as opposed to just loading samples that have to be pre-formatted/set in with an SD card prior to.

Of course everyone's situation is different and I am pretty sure this will be a great instrument, but I for one would really go for the Emulator 2 /Prophet 2000 style approach at least as an option for people who like to use the instrument without having to resort to a computer to record  the samples prior to loading into the unit.?

Just a thought...

Yes that is right on the money!  ;D

Thanks for that and enjoyed the video! (I still.. like New order) ...

Tim

LoboLives

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2018, 04:45:58 AM »

Just a thought...

So strange that stuff like the Emulator and Fairlight had such an easy method to their sampling and now we sort of have to program a bunch in order to even map a sample across the keyboard.

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2018, 05:07:03 AM »

Just a thought...

So strange that stuff like the Emulator and Fairlight had such an easy method to their sampling and now we sort of have to program a bunch in order to even map a sample across the keyboard.

Maybe when expectations increase and technologies get more complex and accessible then complexities in devices do also!

Saying that, synthesisers have also become more accessible so thats a good thing.

Once I read the specifications of Prophet X then will make the decision to retire the Korg Micro-sampler.

Tim

LoboLives

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2018, 05:23:30 AM »

Just a thought...

Maybe when expectations increase and technologies get more complex and accessible then complexities in devices do also!

Saying that, synthesisers have also become more accessible so thats a good thing.

Once I read the specifications of Prophet X then will make the decision to retire the Korg Micro-sampler.

Yeah I got the Microsampler too...I appreciate the idea of it being compact but damn if they made a full sized version I'd use it a lot more.

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2018, 05:49:15 AM »

Just a thought...

Yeah I got the Microsampler too...I appreciate the idea of it being compact but damn if they made a full sized version I'd use it a lot more.

I used to have an Ensoniq Mirage years ago until it went kaput.
I found the MASOS system to work detailed samples on the Mirage painful with hexadecimal but the filters and envelopes were great.
It was fun in many ways and trying to use the 64K as efficiently as you could across the keyboard.
Fast forward 20 years
I find the Korg Micro-sampler easy to use for many things but I revel back to the time when I could control the full envelope shape and the timbre of the Mirage.
The Korg Micro Sampler for me filled the void and still does as an easy to work sampling keyboard but I do hope the Prophet X has the features I would like. (Direct Sampling into VCF/VCA's)
Once I have read the specs and it hits my targets then I will be purchasing one also.
I bought Tempest in 2013 new and still own it .
I own a Prophet 08 and Mopho also. (Still own them)
The Tempest has had a checkered history on the forums but my setup it is the main beat controlled by the Engine Sequencer.
So I guess I like the DSI brand.
The tech support is top notch and the instruments well built.

My Tempest had an LED issue some years back and Tech support walked me through and advised me what to do.
Being handy with a soldering iron helped the process!

I have a Vermona perfourmer 2 and sent Vermona a question ...2 years later I am still waiting!

That's why I am more inclined (once reading the specs) that the Prophet X will enter my setup as opposed to the Waldorf Quantum or another brand.

Just my opinion.

Tim

LoboLives

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2018, 06:22:18 AM »

Just a thought...

I found the MASOS system to work detailed samples on the Mirage painful with hexadecimal but the filters and envelopes were great.
It was fun in many ways and trying to use the 64K as efficiently as you could across the keyboard.
Fast forward 20 years
I find the Korg Micro-sampler easy to use for many things but I revel back to the time when I could control the full envelope shape and the timbre of the Mirage.
The Korg Micro Sampler for me filled the void and still does as an easy to work sampling keyboard but I do hope the Prophet X has the features I would like. (Direct Sampling into VCF/VCA's)
Once I have read the specs and it hits my targets then I will be purchasing one also.
The Tempest has had a checkered history on the forums but my setup it is the main beat controlled by the Engine Sequencer.

My Tempest had an LED issue some years back and Tech support walked me through and advised me what to do.

I have a Vermona perfourmer 2 and sent Vermona a question ...2 years later I am still waiting!

That's why I am more inclined (once reading the specs) that the Prophet X will enter my setup as opposed to the Waldorf Quantum or another brand.

Just my opinion.

For me I'm heavily inspired by the John Carpenter/Alan Howarth stuff and I try to model my set up after their gear but using modern stuff and yet I still haven't been able to find the modern equivalent of the old Emulators or Kurzweil 250 or Prophet 2000 they used. With my current set up, I'm pretty well stocked in regards to my analog sound (Prophet 6, Tempest, Moog Sub 37, with a REV2 and Oberheim Two Voice Pro on the way and possibly an ARP Odyssey later on) so I want to start incorporating those sampler sounds (basses, guitars, pianos, choirs, strings, ethnic sounds etc) and those digital Prophet VS waves into my music as well. The Prophet X hopefully may have just managed to tick both my sampling needs and VS needs.

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2018, 06:35:40 AM »

Just a thought...

Fast forward 20 years

Just my opinion.

For me I'm heavily inspired by the John Carpenter/Alan Howarth stuff and I try to model my set up after their gear but using modern stuff and yet I still haven't been able to find the modern equivalent of the old Emulators or Kurzweil 250 or Prophet 2000 they used. With my current set up, I'm pretty well stocked in regards to my analog sound (Prophet 6, Tempest, Moog Sub 37, with a REV2 and Oberheim Two Voice Pro on the way and possibly an ARP Odyssey later on) so I want to start incorporating those sampler sounds (basses, guitars, pianos, choirs, strings, ethnic sounds etc) and those digital Prophet VS waves into my music as well. The Prophet X hopefully may have just managed to tick both my sampling needs and VS needs.

Escape from New york (Engulfed Cathedral.. love this track.) and the the Thing were fav films for me growing up and I enjoy the the soundtracks now!

John Carpenter was an auteur.

I have the Fog soundtrack in my collection. Very atmospheric!

Tim

LoboLives

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2018, 06:54:26 AM »

Just a thought...

Fast forward 20 years

Just my opinion.

Escape from New york (Engulfed Cathedral.. love this track.) and the the Thing were fav films for me growing up and I enjoy the the soundtracks now!

John Carpenter was an auteur.

I have the Fog soundtrack in my collection. Very atmospheric!

Yeah I saw Carpenter perform here last year. He's a huge inspiration for me.

Interesting to note Engulfed Cathedral is actually a Debussy cover and it's played by a session musician on an ARP Quadra and Prophet-5 as neither Carpenter or Howarth are classically trained musicians.

And of course Carpenter didn't score The Thing it was actually Ennio Morricone doing his interpretation of Carpenter's style

dslsynth

#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »
There she blows.  Thanks for the update.

And the price?  Kraft Music has it for $4,000.  So the magic line has been crossed.  DSI is really going for the higher end of the synthesizer market.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:09:57 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

AlanC

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »
And the price?  Kraft Music has it for $4,000.  So the magic line has been crossed.  DSI is really going for the higher end of the synthesizer market.

£3,359 here in the UK. Comparable to the Modal 002 and Waldorf Quantum, both at £3,500.

As for the demos, the "Children" video is sending chills down my spine: I'm a sucker for a good choir sound and that one is just beautiful.

dslsynth

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »
Its nice to see DS^H^H Sequential go for a more adventurous design. And yeah its an expensive machine. Much more feature focused than the Quantum. I like quite a few of the details of this machine including the stereo filter with an optional mono (aka 16 voice) mode. Not to mention the Prophet-12/Pro 2 style display in the center.

Would love to hear what the actual analog filter design is. Wondering if the user samples could eventually be used to emulate user waveshapes like those in the Evolvers and VS. If not it would have been even better with VS style waves not to mention waveshape interpolation on the digital oscillators.

Its not a machine for me but I certainly like the design direction. Will be interesting to see what people think of it once they gain experience with it.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2018, 11:34:50 AM »
Strange that user import of samples is not till the end of the year, I guess it is to give space to 8Dio to sell some ridiculously priced instrument packs.

For that price as well I would rather have a Kronos, I'm not an analog filter purist though.

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2018, 11:39:28 AM »
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

dslsynth

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2018, 11:50:03 AM »
This thread could be moved to the new forum.
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »
Strange that user import of samples is not till the end of the year, I guess it is to give space to 8Dio to sell some ridiculously priced instrument packs.

Wonder what the official word is on this? Not coded yet? Product management considerations?
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2018, 12:33:27 PM »
User samples i the future... where did i hear that before :D ...

Listened to the demos... sounds very P12'ish with the synth sounds... The price though... I'm not sure... yet...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2018, 12:46:26 PM »

Well there are two options: either buy now or wait until the user sample feature works.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2018, 12:51:01 PM »

Listened to the demos... sounds very P12'ish with the synth sounds... The price though... I'm not sure... yet...

It doesn't sound like the P12 at all I have to say.