Prophet X Speculation

Re: Prophet X
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »
Looking forward to the specs on this, fingers crossed that you can have user multisamples.

I'm also hoping it will be fully digital, that should keep the price a bit lower.

If it does NOT have analog filters, then I believe many will not want it... there are plenty of other options out there for such a synth in 100% digital format... besides... with 16 voices, it would be even worse.... the 16 voice though, does indicate that we're talking at least analog Curtis filters ;) ... I bet this synth is a modified P12... basically what I've been talking about in the past... four oscillators, but two of them exchanged for sampling oscillators... the pads... the 5 octaves... it looks a lot like a modified P12 engine to me here at first glance ;)

I’m not sure about that, not everyone cares about analog and even the Gearslutz fanatics count Curtis filters in the same league as digital ones. A move towards the nord type gigging keyboards that people use to do a job rather than make bleeping noises might not be a bad one. I bet you are right though, Curtis filters digital everything else.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »
Looking forward to the specs on this, fingers crossed that you can have user multisamples.

I'm also hoping it will be fully digital, that should keep the price a bit lower.

If it does NOT have analog filters, then I believe many will not want it... there are plenty of other options out there for such a synth in 100% digital format... besides... with 16 voices, it would be even worse.... the 16 voice though, does indicate that we're talking at least analog Curtis filters ;) ... I bet this synth is a modified P12... basically what I've been talking about in the past... four oscillators, but two of them exchanged for sampling oscillators... the pads... the 5 octaves... it looks a lot like a modified P12 engine to me here at first glance ;)

I’m not sure about that, not everyone cares about analog and even the Gearslutz fanatics count Curtis filters in the same league as digital ones. A move towards the nord type gigging keyboards that people use to do a job rather than make bleeping noises might not be a bad one. I bet you are right though, Curtis filters digital everything else.

But honestly... who wants to pay that much for a 100% digital synth with only 16 voices, when there are much cheaper ones with a lot more voices? ... it would certainly have to be a rather special new synth then... besides... the demo that is out... I felt I could hear that Curtis "timbre"... I may be mistaken... time will tell :D
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »
Has Dave ever done a completely digital hardware synth besides the Wavestation? I think people are expecting at least an analog filter to somewhat set it apart (with the addition of some digital filter options as well would be cool). I don't think the oscillators are analog (DCO & certainly not VCO) because it would have been a mistake not to give equal emphasis to that in the teaser. Although if it did that would be massive for truly setting it apart above all the rest. Also if they're trying to take the likes of Nord head on for example, then I would expect a fully weighted 88 keyed version as well, which is what I personally want from this.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:32:42 PM by Sleep of Reason »

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 07:33:34 PM »
I think the point of the Prophet X to me is to use samples as sound sources instead of wave forms. Then run them with synth action keys, sequencers, arpeggiators, and yes I’m sure it will have analog filters and VCAs. Basically they are taking the idea of a Nord Wave .but having a better library (Kontakt) and analog VCOs and VCAs. I’m almost certain. There’s enough digital pianos around...that’s not what this is for. This is combining the concept of the Emulator with the knob per function interaction of a Prophet. I’m sold.

dsetto

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 10:13:27 PM »
I agree. I (want to) believe the most likely scenario is:
- Curtis analog filters, VCA
- User sampling
- A new-to-this-generation, Interesting real-time control of the sampling (with respect to full-key boards)

My guess/hope:
- DCO like Rev2
(I don't think P6/OB6-style VCO & discrete filters are likely.)

I don't believe this will be multi-level sampling. If it is, I'd be impressed. (Hard, but possible, to manage on screen.) If it is, I see it being 4 levels deep.

I think, in some sense, the 8dio relationship will be like relationship between Nord's library & its keyboards. In that, a bunch will come in board; more of those can be swapped in.

And, user samples, can also be added. ... I suppose there exists the possibility user sampling is "too much" for this one board; & the X lacks it.

I don't think it would be digital filter/VCA.

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 11:52:29 PM »
I guess it'll be like an extended Rev2 16 voices working ala PEK, the two osc of the DSI-120 and two multi-samples... I'd be surprised if it's not possible to import user samples, as on the Nord Wave or on the Waldorf Blofeld.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 12:33:46 AM »
With synthesis and sampling in the same box, this would also be a contender for Waldorf's Quantum which has some of the same features really....

What I guess is that what this will be, is two P12 oscillators coupled with two new innovative sampling oscillators, and i base that conclusion on the video where you can clearly see the "instrument 1 &2" knobs in addition to two Synth knobs... i would not be surprised, that if you open up the X, you may find that it's just an updated P12 voiceboard with 4 more voices in there, and a partly rewritten P12 OS... which is actually pretty much fine! ... that is what I've been wanting and talking about in the past :)

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the specs on this...

LoboLives

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 07:14:40 AM »
Honestly, although user sampling would be nice, if you could have access to the Kontakt libraries and load them into the synth itself I'd be more than happy with that. I mean they are probably the best samples on the market anyway and if you have the ability to manipulate them with the synth engine and run them through analog filters then I'm okay with it. Although....I do have a gut feeling it will allow user samples.

I also don't think they will be analog oscillators with it but digital oscillators with VS waves, Prophet 12 waves. May as well strike two birds with one stone. VS/FM/Wave type synthesis and samples.

I do wonder how much timbrality there is. It would be nice if each oscillator had it's own sequencer and if it does splits and layers then essentially you could have 8 sequences going.

dsetto

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »
Lobo- wanted to let you know I'm very happy for you, as you've been vocal about wanting to commit to something in this land asap. ...

I'm in a "in-a-commitment" status, but I share in your excitement about DSI making an exciting instrument. Hopefully I'll be "available" when there exists a stellar performance keyboard with user sampling through backend filters & amp and fast & fun workflow. I'm commenting from that perspective.
Razmo- I agree about likelihood of P12 osc.
Lobo- I fully agree about both the possibility and maintained useful excellence of a lack of user sampling.

I'll be very surprised if it's beyond bi-timbral. That seems to have been a constancy with DSI; I assume it's their take on the balance between "function" and "fun & fast flow".

Razón, is how my spellchecker communicated Razmo. 

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 09:30:50 AM »
Honestly, although user sampling would be nice, if you could have access to the Kontakt libraries and load them into the synth itself I'd be more than happy with that. I mean they are probably the best samples on the market anyway and if you have the ability to manipulate them with the synth engine and run them through analog filters then I'm okay with it. Although....I do have a gut feeling it will allow user samples.

I also don't think they will be analog oscillators with it but digital oscillators with VS waves, Prophet 12 waves. May as well strike two birds with one stone. VS/FM/Wave type synthesis and samples.

I do wonder how much timbrality there is. It would be nice if each oscillator had it's own sequencer and if it does splits and layers then essentially you could have 8 sequences going.

"The Best"... that definitely depends on who you are, and what type of music you're making.. ROM samples is really a no-go in my opinion because the samples WILL be outdated at some point... being able to load your own will make the longevity of this sampler synth a hell of a lot longer.

Besides there is no point in ROM samples anymore... that is from a time where RAM was expensive... todays FLASH options are so cheap it would be a nobrainer to include user samples. The only thing it would require is more OS code to accomodate for it, and of course some form of storage device like SD card etc.

I for one would most likely feel I need other samples simply because my samples would be specifically made for what I do... if I wanted a specific vocal phrase I would not be able to find one (especially if I wanted my own voice!).. .if I wanted my own samples of nature and acoustic things, I'd not be able to find it in a ROM... also the types of FX sounds I'd require I believe I'd not be able to find either...

I know that different people means different needs... some people may be satisfied with a ROM sample pack, but I definitely would not, that's a 100% certainty :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:32:22 AM by Razmo »

LoboLives

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 09:51:42 AM »
Well I think it's too early to speculate on it's sampling abilities but regardless it's nice to see DSI pushing forward into new territories. If it does indeed have amazing sampling abilities (i.e. immediate mapping to the entire keyboard) and if they can manage to bring it in to a nice price point then it pretty much destroys the Quantum.

I do wonder...at Namm the demonstrator at Waldorf was discussing the sampling abilities of the Quantum and was like "Well it's no Kontakt..." if Dave probably was like "Hmmmm" hehe

LoboLives

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »
Lobo- wanted to let you know I'm very happy for you, as you've been vocal about wanting to commit to something in this land asap. ...

Lobo- I fully agree about both the possibility and maintained useful excellence of a lack of user sampling.

I'll be very surprised if it's beyond bi-timbral. That seems to have been a constancy with DSI; I assume it's their take on the balance between "function" and "fun & fast flow".

Thanks so much! I'm shock that not only did I get the abilities that I wanted out of this thing but also the exact name I thought of: Sequential Prophet X.

True but if you could sequence individual oscillators then it would sort of give the illusion of multitimbrality. Say it has splits and layers, each part will have 4 oscillators (two instruments and two synths)....might be possible. You could sequence each of the oscillators separately in the Poly Evolver if I'm not mistaken...so it may not be that unrealistic. 

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 10:14:56 AM »
Well I think it's too early to speculate on it's sampling abilities but regardless it's nice to see DSI pushing forward into new territories. If it does indeed have amazing sampling abilities (i.e. immediate mapping to the entire keyboard) and if they can manage to bring it in to a nice price point then it pretty much destroys the Quantum.

I do wonder...at Namm the demonstrator at Waldorf was discussing the sampling abilities of the Quantum and was like "Well it's no Kontakt..." if Dave probably was like "Hmmmm" hehe

When the specs are out, we'll know if it's an attack on the Quantum... But honestly, it will have to be REALLY GOOD to compete with it... It may though be, that people do not need all the power of the Quantum, and are having breathing problems related to its price, so if I'm guessing right, the X is more what I once thought Waldorf should have done... Create seperate synths with the engines at a lower price... I bet the X could be seen as a synth that takes two engines like that, and double up on the voicecount... A really wise choice if the X is priced just right... People who wanted the Quantum for the sampling capabillities with analog filters will surely be thinking twice before getting the Quantum now.

LoboLives

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2018, 10:19:24 AM »

When the specs are out, we'll know if it's an attack on the Quantum... But honestly, it will have to be REALLY GOOD to compete with it... It may though be, that people do not need all the power of the Quantum, and are having breathing problems related to its price, so if I'm guessing right, the X is more what I once thought Waldorf should have done... Create seperate synths with the engines at a lower price... I bet the X could be seen as a synth that takes two engines like that, and double up on the voicecount... A really wise choice if the X is priced just right... People who wanted the Quantum for the sampling capabillities with analog filters will surely be thinking twice before getting the Quantum now.

I'll be honest, the Quantum seems to be sort of a jack of all trades/master of few type of thing. It's insanely powerful but it seems to lack focus and lack it's own identity. The sounds I've heard so far have been underwhelming...almost nothing stood out to me that I couldn't be able to get out of a Blofeld. I just don't see the sound justifying the price point....but then again I got the Two Voice Pro for $5k so....

dslsynth

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2018, 11:03:23 AM »
A really wise choice if the X is priced just right...

My guess for the Prophet X price would be around $2.5k to $3k given what the video shows and how many voices it is said to have. But I am ready for a surprise!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

LoboLives

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 11:19:10 AM »
A really wise choice if the X is priced just right...

My guess for the Prophet X price would be around $2.5k to $3k given what the video shows and how many voices it is said to have. But I am ready for a surprise!

I'd say maybe $2500 with an additional $500 if you want access to additional Kontakt sounds for life.

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2018, 11:32:41 AM »

Word is that the Prophet X was already fairly far along by then, enough for an off-site private viewing by select audiences–but there's nothing to say that Kontakt instruments couldn't be loaded onto a Quantum-style device.

Thing is–and Razmo alluded to this already–even with highly crafted sound libraries, they can get stale or dated quickly once you start hearing them in a wider variety of contexts.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »
I hope this will be more than duotimbral. Also hope you can change the note range of samples easily, i.e., how DM worked with Emax II's in the 101 days. Add master controller features, and there might be a REV2 up on craiglist soon. If not, it will still be an excellent instrument, but likely not for me.

LoboLives

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »

Word is that the Prophet X was already fairly far along by then, enough for an off-site private viewing by select audiences–but there's nothing to say that Kontakt instruments couldn't be loaded onto a Quantum-style device.

Thing is–and Razmo alluded to this already–even with highly crafted sound libraries, they can get stale or dated quickly once you start hearing them in a wider variety of contexts.

I just have a feeling they wouldn't bother doing a sampler unless you could have your own samples in it. I could be wrong and like I said, stale, dated whatever, my style of music is very retro in terms of synth music anyway. I'd be running things alongside a analog Prophets, Moog, Oberhiems so it's more about adding a different sound to my pallet. That's just me though.

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2018, 03:18:36 AM »
Of course until the specifications are advised it is pure speculation but...

It would be great if it could load user sounds/samples (at least as an option) into the unit via standard audio L/R 1/4" (6.35mm)jacks  and they could be adjusted within the unit as opposed to just loading samples that have to be pre-formatted/set in with an SD card prior to.

Of course everyone's situation is different and I am pretty sure this will be a great instrument, but I for one would really go for the Emulator 2 /Prophet 2000 style approach at least as an option for people who like to use the instrument without having to resort to a computer to record  the samples prior to loading into the unit.?

Just a thought...

Tim