Prophet X Speculation

Sacred Synthesis

Prophet X Speculation
« on: April 28, 2018, 06:20:20 AM »
This thread will serve for Prophet X discussion, until DSI opens a new section for the instrument.

Re: Prophet X
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:31:26 AM »
Will be interesting to read the specifications when available.
Looks great though!

Tim

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 10:05:01 AM »
Interesting that 8Dio is working with DSI. I wonder if that means owners will have access to their libraries OR if only 8Dio samples will be compatible.

I also wonder if there is direct recording into it.

From what I've seen there are Two INSTRUMENT knobs and two OSCILATOR knobs...so there is still some type of synthesis going on here...I wonder if that means the VS waves and waves from the P12 are included...I'm assuming so cause of the touch strips on the side.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:23:57 AM by LoboLives »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »
Ha ha.... I knew something like this would eventually come... too many people has been begging for a hybrid samplesynth... now the only thing people can hope for is that you can use your own samples... would be surprised if not, after the havoc the Tempest created when not being able to...

I'm not getting this though, as I've gone modular, but I welcome this synth... seems like the right choice at the right moment :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »
Seems like Sequential finally got their Model X. Anyone spotted the falcon wings? ;)

Seriously: Not sure if its a machine for me but it looks interesting. And maybe that voice could be the basis for a synth that interests me? In any case: always happy to see them head in a more adventurous direction.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 12:20:15 PM »
I'm placing my order soon as it's announced for release. It's everything I wanted in a modern sampler from what I've heard/seen.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 06:33:36 PM »
I wonder if X stands for 10 voices.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 06:43:16 PM »

There's a button that says "16 Voice" on it. X also stands for cross and so I speculated in another thread it had to do with its crossover (as in hybrid) nature, yet others thought it had more to do with putting a shining light on cross-fading.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:00:44 PM by Sleep of Reason »

dslsynth

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 03:24:35 AM »
I'm placing my order soon as it's announced for release. It's everything I wanted in a modern sampler from what I've heard/seen.

Very happy to hear that! Its always nice when a manufacturer designs a much sought after instrument. However, may I suggest that you before ordering read up on all details of the instrument once its announced? In that way you are absolutely sure it will fit your intended uses.

The reason I am saying this is that its usually always better to get past the hype phase after a new instrument is announced so that one can see what the instrument actually is and can do in practice. With that said I can only agree that it looks very interesting!
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 04:51:57 AM »
Looking forward to the specs on this, fingers crossed that you can have user multisamples.

I'm also hoping it will be fully digital, that should keep the price a bit lower.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 07:45:55 AM »
There's an image of it here...
Looks like it has the same display as the P12/Pro2 PLUS 2 smaller OLED displays like on the REV2.
I"m VERY excited about this synth.
If hybrid means digital and analogue oscillators and if it's 16 note polyphonic then it's definitely on the shopping list.
Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/04/27/dave-smith-instruments-teases-sequential-x-synthesizer/

jg666

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 08:30:53 AM »
I'm hoping it's useless so that I don't end up spending even more money on synths ;)  ;D

Seriously though it looks very interesting and I can't wait to see/hear more about it

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

chysn

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »

X stands for what it always stands for: eXtreme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 09:09:07 AM »

Very happy to hear that! Its always nice when a manufacturer designs a much sought after instrument. However, may I suggest that you before ordering read up on all details of the instrument once its announced? In that way you are absolutely sure it will fit your intended uses.

The reason I am saying this is that its usually always better to get past the hype phase after a new instrument is announced so that one can see what the instrument actually is and can do in practice. With that said I can only agree that it looks very interesting!

Oh of course but from what I’ve seen/heard it looks to be everything I wanted it to be. Last year I even suggested the Prophet X name for a digital synth/sampler and bringing Sequential name back so the fact they are doing all those things exactly kind of makes it feel personal to me.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 10:06:00 AM »
Looking forward to the specs on this, fingers crossed that you can have user multisamples.

I'm also hoping it will be fully digital, that should keep the price a bit lower.

If it does NOT have analog filters, then I believe many will not want it... there are plenty of other options out there for such a synth in 100% digital format... besides... with 16 voices, it would be even worse.... the 16 voice though, does indicate that we're talking at least analog Curtis filters ;) ... I bet this synth is a modified P12... basically what I've been talking about in the past... four oscillators, but two of them exchanged for sampling oscillators... the pads... the 5 octaves... it looks a lot like a modified P12 engine to me here at first glance ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:08:09 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 10:11:06 AM »
I might actually go for this one.... I need ONE polyphonic synth to complement my Eurorack system, and if this has been done right, I might go for this as that one polysynth... but for this to be in question at all, the sample oscillators WILL NEED to have usersample capabillities... if it's just a ROM bank like the Tempest, I'll pass...

dslsynth

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
Last year I even suggested the Prophet X name for a digital synth/sampler and bringing Sequential name back so the fact they are doing all those things exactly kind of makes it feel personal to me.

Prophet X is a great name. So if you are the source of that name I would like to complement you on good naming taste! ;-)
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 10:29:38 AM »
[...] with 16 voices, it would be even worse.... the 16 voice though, does indicate that we're talking at least analog Curtis filters ;)

Certainly looking forward to see what filters it uses. My guess would be Curtis or the new SSM chips. But I am ready for a pleasant discrete component filter surprise.
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 11:09:29 AM »
[...] with 16 voices, it would be even worse.... the 16 voice though, does indicate that we're talking at least analog Curtis filters ;)

Certainly looking forward to see what filters it uses. My guess would be Curtis or the new SSM chips. But I am ready for a pleasant discrete component filter surprise.

With 16 voices it's unlikely a discrete filter... that would raise the price quite a bit i think... I don't think it's all that important though as long as it's analog... but that's my view of course.

dslsynth

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
With 16 voices it's unlikely a discrete filter... that would raise the price quite a bit i think... I don't think it's all that important though as long as it's analog... but that's my view of course.

Good question as I remember a Dave interview at SuperBooth in which he said that the discrete components are not that much more expensive than the Curtis chips. Of cause I do not know the actual numbers for this. But it will be interesting to see voice count, price and the exact filter type.
#!/bin/sh