Prophet X Speculation

Re: Prophet X Speculation
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2018, 11:17:28 AM »
Hey Folks

Do we already know if the PX will have a chord mode like the P6 or the OB6?

There is Unison Chord Mode, yes.
SEQUENTIAL

Bartosz Kwiecinski

• Synths to make and do.
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2018, 11:13:32 AM »
Hey Folks

- Unison (monophonic) mode with configurable voice count

specs at the website

« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2018, 01:17:17 PM »
Hey Folks

- Unison (monophonic) mode with configurable voice count

specs at the website

Hold a chord, press Unison, you get Chord Mode.
SEQUENTIAL

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2018, 11:35:35 AM »
I'll try again: What is the "Sample Stretch" function in the X? ... is it an "offline sample stretch" or a realtime sample stretch in the playback engine? anyone who know this? .. .I asked about this earlier, but scrolling back thru all the replies since has not let me to see any kind of reply on this...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »
I'll try again: What is the "Sample Stretch" function in the X? ... is it an "offline sample stretch" or a realtime sample stretch in the playback engine? anyone who know this? .. .I asked about this earlier, but scrolling back thru all the replies since has not let me to see any kind of reply on this...

I believe it has to do with instant mapping of a single sample on a specific key. Usually to do with multisamples. So if you want say a snare drum mapped acrossed the entire keybed with different pitches then you simply hold the key and hit Sample Stretch and it does it right away.

« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2018, 12:06:56 PM »

The stretch function operates similar to classic samplers. It doesn't allow for random time stretching of recorded audio material. Rather, it allows for mapping the sound of one note across the whole keyboard. Let's take the samples of the VS waves for example: They are all saved as one instrument. Each note plays back a different VS wave. If you want to play a particular VS wave from the whole keyboard, you just hold down the according key and then press the stretch button. Then, the preferred sound is mapped—or pitch-stretched—across the whole keyboard.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:09:02 PM by Paul Dither »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »

The stretch function operates similar to classic samplers. It doesn't allow for random time stretching of recorded audio material. Rather, it allows for mapping the sound of one note across the whole keyboard. Let's take the samples of the VS waves for example. They are all saved as one instrument. Each note plays back a different VS wave. If you want to play a particular VS wave from the whole keyboard, you just hold down the according key and then press the stretch button. Then, the preferred sound it mapped—or pitch-stretched—across the whole keyboard.

In other words, it acts like a normal multisample capable sampler... Too bad... realtime sample stretching (I'm talking TIME STRETCHING here) would have been very useful... but I think I'll be able to live with that if I get an X in the future... just wanted to know this for certain.

Has anyone learned how much RAM there will be for samples, or how that works?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:12:58 PM by Razmo »

« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2018, 02:12:02 PM »
Has anyone learned how much RAM there will be for samples, or how that works?

1.5 GiB is the number that was bandied about earlier.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2018, 02:54:55 PM »
1.5 GiB is the number that was bandied about earlier.

1.5GiB per instrument, with two instruments per layer, and two layers per program.  So as much as 6GiB total.

(Random aside: I'm always thrilled to see other people use the binary SI prefixes.  Thank you for making my day.)

chysn

« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »
(Random aside: I'm always thrilled to see other people use the binary SI prefixes.)

Yeah, the GB just gives Them cover to screw us over.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2018, 05:21:58 PM »
Yeah, the GB just gives Them cover to screw us over.

I've found it's pretty predictable.  RAM / ROM is almost invariably measured in base 2 terms (1KB = 1024 bytes), while file sizes and disk space in general are almost invariably measured in base 10 terms (1KB = 1000 bytes.)  Clock speeds and the like are always measured in base 10 terms.  I can't blame people for finding it confusing and frustrating, but there are historical reasons for all of the above.  Not great reasons, mind you, but at least they're generally consistent.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »
One thing I'm really curious about, is how the SysEx functionallity will be with the Prophet X... My intuition tells me it will be compromised in some way, as it will be impossible to include samples with a SysEx dump of a preset... I'd really like if someone from DSI would explain a bit about this... otherwise I'll just have to wait for the manual to read about it myself.

ddp

« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »
One thing I'm really curious about, is how the SysEx functionallity will be with the Prophet X... My intuition tells me it will be compromised in some way, as it will be impossible to include samples with a SysEx dump of a preset...
Compromised?  SysEx is just what you make of it.  It can't be compromised, that's a silly thing to say.  Any vendor is free to send whatever they want in a SysEx dump.  You can't complain about whatever format any vendor chooses to use.  You can complain to the vendor about what's in the dump, but that's the level of complaint that's warranted.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »
I think it's clear that presets will just contain references to what sample group is selected for each instrument, but the particulars will definitely be interesting.  To allow portability between instruments (or even saving and reloading at some later date) it will important to be able to refer to a specific sample group regardless of what order they're installed in.  Will there be some sort of universally unique ID associated with each one?  Having the sample exporting software due in December generate UUIDs would be pretty straightforward, so that seems plausible but far from confirmed.

Even if it does work along these lines, it raises questions about what happens when you remove a sample group.  Does the Prophet X warn you about programs that depend on the samples you're removing?  What about samples you load subsequently?  Can it somehow tell you "these programs contain references to samples from the 'Last Prophet 5 pack by 8Dio'" or something similarly clear?  Or do you just get silence from the instruments referring to missing sample groups?  It gets similarly weird when you consider what happens when you want to make a change, even a small addition to your own samples.  Can you re-export with the same UUID so your existing presets continue to work?

I'm definitely eager to see the manual, but I'm still expecting a lot of questions to remain unanswered until someone pokes in the dark corners with a Prophet X and some optional samples in hand.

LoboLives

« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2018, 06:08:43 PM »
I think it's clear that presets will just contain references to what sample group is selected for each instrument, but the particulars will definitely be interesting.  To allow portability between instruments (or even saving and reloading at some later date) it will important to be able to refer to a specific sample group regardless of what order they're installed in.  Will there be some sort of universally unique ID associated with each one?  Having the sample exporting software due in December generate UUIDs would be pretty straightforward, so that seems plausible but far from confirmed.

Even if it does work along these lines, it raises questions about what happens when you remove a sample group.  Does the Prophet X warn you about programs that depend on the samples you're removing?  What about samples you load subsequently?  Can it somehow tell you "these programs contain references to samples from the 'Last Prophet 5 pack by 8Dio'" or something similarly clear?  Or do you just get silence from the instruments referring to missing sample groups?  It gets similarly weird when you consider what happens when you want to make a change, even a small addition to your own samples.  Can you re-export with the same UUID so your existing presets continue to work?

I'm definitely eager to see the manual, but I'm still expecting a lot of questions to remain unanswered until someone pokes in the dark corners with a Prophet X and some optional samples in hand.

I think this will have less to do with the manual and more to do with the software program being developed for it. I think it’ll have the ability to layer, set split points, multisample, and what not. In regards to missing samples from presets I firmly believe that that will come down to the user. If you remove or replace a sample from the engine knowing some of your presets might rely on it, then that would fall on the programmer. I don’t think a specific message or warning will come up telling you specific presets but maybe a general reminder before you remove the sample.

ddp

« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2018, 07:37:58 PM »
I'm hoping it's less UUIDs and more knobs.  I've very excited about the Prophet X, but I also seem to have acquired a Buchla Music Easel as a result of Moogfest, so I'm lost.  From the rabbit hole, avanti!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:41:04 PM by ddp »
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2018, 10:14:45 PM »
I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of what happens if I buy one of 8Dio's sample packs, create a preset, and include it along with others that rely only on the factory samples.  What happens when someone else tries to load it?  There will be an answer to that question on day one.  We won't have to wait for the software they're planning for December.

I guess it's possible they'll just save the category and name of the sample group selected for an instrument.  That would certainly be simple, and make it possible to show the selection and mark it as missing when that is indeed the case.  No matter how they connect programs and presets I wouldn't expect any ugly inner workings to be exposed.  I expect it to have a nice interface and look forward to exploring it first hand in, er, um, an unknown number of rather long days.

LoboLives

« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2018, 10:27:44 PM »
I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of what happens if I buy one of 8Dio's sample packs, create a preset, and include it along with others that rely only on the factory samples.  What happens when someone else tries to load it?  There will be an answer to that question on day one.  We won't have to wait for the software they're planning for December.

I guess it's possible they'll just save the category and name of the sample group selected for an instrument.  That would certainly be simple, and make it possible to show the selection and mark it as missing when that is indeed the case.  No matter how they connect programs and presets I wouldn't expect any ugly inner workings to be exposed.  I expect it to have a nice interface and look forward to exploring it first hand in, er, um, an unknown number of rather long days.

I believe it will fall under the Instrument "USER". I think any additional samples from 8Dio or from your own personal samples are all under the category of USER. That was explained in one of the Superbooth videos. So I think it's less about sharing patches but more about sharing samples or providing the samples along with your patches via Midi.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #158 on: May 28, 2018, 11:39:55 PM »
One thing I'm really curious about, is how the SysEx functionallity will be with the Prophet X... My intuition tells me it will be compromised in some way, as it will be impossible to include samples with a SysEx dump of a preset...
Compromised?  SysEx is just what you make of it.  It can't be compromised, that's a silly thing to say.  Any vendor is free to send whatever they want in a SysEx dump.  You can't complain about whatever format any vendor chooses to use.  You can complain to the vendor about what's in the dump, but that's the level of complaint that's warranted.

I know about SysEx... I programed it in hardware chips, and created editors for several DSI synths, and yes it WILL be compromised in what's INSIDE the dump like you wrote, and that was also what I meant... the bandwidth of a SysEx dump is so slow, that putting samples into it would require days for it to even transfer :D ... so yes... a dump via SysEx from the X would no doubt only contain just the parameter data, but not the samples, and therefore it could be argued that a SysEx dump does not make much sense at all... you would not be able to store your samples with your SysEx data for example...

This is also why I hope that for once, DSI will create a combined editor/sample manager for the Prophet X, so that backups and editing can be handled from the same app, keeping the data bundled instead of having to backup samples from the user sample app they're doing, and keep the parameters (preset data) saved separately with an external editor using only SysEx.

With a machine like the Prophet X, (in my opinion) it's crucial to be able to easily manage your presets/samples as a single unit...

This is why I'm currious as to how the SysEx specs look, and what is included, and also how the samples themselves are adressed inside the dump... will instruments be indexed with a fixed maximum number af instruments per bank maybe? or will it use some other way to do it? ... just being currious as to how much control I'll have via SysEx on the Prophet X, mainly because I want to create an editor for it in some way... unless DSI create one that is.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:53:02 PM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2018, 12:16:12 AM »
One thing that puzzles me is that I read that each instrument has 1.5GB reserved to it, and that with two layers and two instruments per layer you have a total of 6GB... why this dividing of the 6GB into 1.5GB segments, if the instruments is simply indexed!?

That way of splitting the RAM must have a purpose...