Recording pad pressure?

Recording pad pressure?
« on: May 11, 2018, 05:03:17 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked prior or stated I did a search but could not find the answer I was looking for.

Can pad pressure be recorded into a beat?  I'm aware of other limitations but are they defined somewhere?

Thanks,
Michael

Re: Recording pad pressure?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 05:23:18 PM »
You’ll find it inside Beat events screen in the upper right corner as velocity
Sorry if this has been asked prior or stated I did a search but could not find the answer I was looking for.

Can pad pressure be recorded into a beat?  I'm aware of other limitations but are they defined somewhere?

Thanks,
Michael

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:41:56 PM »
To expand on what Yorgos said above and avoid confusion, technically "pressure" is not recorded into the sequencer; however, if you were to record a part using the roll function, wherein you continually vary the pressure on the pad to affect volume for instance, it will register per step as "velocity", not pressure.  And you can use velocity to control any number of parameters via the mod matrix, not just amplitude.

To be clear though, unfortunately you cannot record pressure information over the duration of a sustained note.

Cheers!

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 08:04:41 AM »
That’s the answer is was looking for.  Thanks.  Just to be clear the tempest only records values at strike point an no change in values over time?

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 04:41:05 PM »
That’s the answer is was looking for.  Thanks.  Just to be clear the tempest only records values at strike point an no change in values over time?

That's correct.  Although the pads respond to both pressure and velocity, the sequencer only records velocity information, which is calculated within the first few milliseconds of striking a pad.

It's best to keep in mind that, even though the Tempest can be used as a polyphonic synth, it was designed primarily as a multi-timbral drum machine, and so the sequencer's functionality is centered around that ideology.

I've found it best to think of pressure strictly as a performance parameter.  In other words, you can use the Tempest either as a drum machine or a polysynth, but if you aspire to use the sequencer to record polyphonic parts, or the various real-time aspects of a melodic and expressive performance (i.e. pressure, after-touch, mod-wheel, etc.) you're going to run into limitations.

Cheers!