Moby is selling all his gear

Moby is selling all his gear
« on: April 24, 2018, 09:19:06 AM »
All proceeds go to charity: https://reverb.com/news/moby-shop-preview

chysn

Re: Moby is selling all his gear
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:00:17 AM »
It'll be interesting to see the prices on this stuff. For example, what kind of premium does one put on a Yamaha SY-85, a singularly unremarkable instrument, because Moby used it? I signed up for the notification because I think it'll be fun to browse it.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 11:39:54 AM »
Worth buying it all to stop him releasing any more records, if only!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 12:04:06 PM »

Good one!  ;D

chysn

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 03:28:18 PM »

Oh, snap!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:08:50 PM »
It'll be interesting to see the prices on this stuff. For example, what kind of premium does one put on a Yamaha SY-85, a singularly unremarkable instrument, because Moby used it? I signed up for the notification because I think it'll be fun to browse it.

Oh the bloody stupidity of starpower to push the prices of gear up.  I reckon that the whole Cheetah release was a well planned troll, in all honesty, and it worked.
I hope Moby sells all his Roland 80's gear.  That stuff isn't overpriced enough yet.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 05:54:29 PM »
So far, nothing that one couldn't find on Craigslist with a bit of effort.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 07:49:41 PM »
So far, nothing that one couldn't find on Craigslist with a bit of effort.

Exactly, lotsa stuff that's rather common, but at least the buyer can say "oh this once belonged to Moby".  I bought an R-70 way back in the 90's and the seller was an old studio tech who said the drum machine was bought originally to act as a MIDI repeater in the studio on some recording by PIL.  They didn't use the sequencer or the sounds, just the MIDI IN and THRU.  I didn't pay any more for it though, in fact I talked him down by $80, heheh.

I've seen Moby's gear before and it's mostly samplers anyway, bunch of old Roland racks.  I've finally decided to try to resurrect the e5000; found a new encoder for it and an ssd upgrade kit with the floppies for eos 4.62/7 (RFX issues fixed, which is why it got put away in the first place).  So I'm set now for samplers really, but I'm still going to make that modular sampler with an Assimil8or.

chysn

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 08:32:27 AM »
When I worked musical instrument retail in the 90s, we had a synth that we could document as having belonged to Keith Emerson. We couldn't get anyone to pay more than the instrument itself was actually worth. And that was Keith Emerson.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 09:21:13 AM »
When I worked musical instrument retail in the 90s, we had a synth that we could document as having belonged to Keith Emerson. We couldn't get anyone to pay more than the instrument itself was actually worth. And that was Keith Emerson.

That might have been due to the dagger marks in between the keys.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:35:51 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 10:02:47 AM »

Right–because once I've bought it and used it, it's no longer Keith Emerson's–it's mine.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

chysn

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 04:28:10 PM »
I guess there are artists for whose old stuff I’d pay extra. Moby ain’t one of those. Vince Clarke, maybe.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his