Natural Causes

Natural Causes
« on: April 24, 2018, 02:54:34 AM »
Dear synthmates...

Normally I post my songs on the Other Music page, and generally I post my most synth-focused songs. However, I'm so pleased with the reaction to my new album, Natural Causes, that I felt like sharing it on the DSI forum. The songs are recorded in a more traditional rock format - guitars, bass and drums etc., but every song features either Prophet 5 or Prophet 6 as well. And for any Mellotron fans, there's an M400 all over the record as well. The drummer on the album suggests the album is the connecting line between Todd and Split Enz (huh!) and, well, he's played with both Todd and Neil Finn, so I'm happy to go with his assessment for my sales pitch!

I hope it's not inappropriate (or worse, obnoxious) to post this - delete if so and I'll understand. For now, here's a bit of buzz and a link following for anyone further curious... Thanks!

"Natural Causes is a distillation of the essence of Barbeau. It combines the quirks, the melodic devices, the musicianship and the whimsy and presents them in the most user-friendly format to date..." - Pop Matters

"The chord progressions are smart, the melodies wonderfully effervescent, and the vocals absolutely hit the target dead on. Add killer arrangements and thought provoking lyrics into the equation... and you end up with pure pop magic. This is one of those rare cases where everything works." - Babysue Review

"Barbeau has produced something quite stunning and timely : a cerebral album both instantly memorable, melodic and yet adventurous and inventive." - Monolith Cocktail

"A thought-provoking study in modern psychedelic pop." - Harmonic Distortion

"Barbeau offers up another varied and vibrant effort, one that’s occasionally woozy but consistently appealing all the same." - Blurt

https://antonbarbeau.bandcamp.com/album/natural-causes

Re: Natural Causes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »
I  like your work Ant of 12047.  I'd call it melodic catchy, yet relaxing rock (listening as I write this).... it really cuts loose at times too.    The mellotron keys are very nice in the Summer Gold track.  Cool album cover shot too.  Where's those monoliths at?
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 04:15:25 AM »
I  like your work Ant of 12047.  I'd call it melodic catchy, yet relaxing rock (listening as I write this).... it really cuts loose at times too.    The mellotron keys are very nice in the Summer Gold track.  Cool album cover shot too.  Where's those monoliths at?

Cheers, Soundquest. I really tried to give this record a consistent sound, with the 12-string guitars, the Mellotron and the Prophets. Nick Saloman and Ade Shaw from the Bevis Frond are on "Summer of Gold" with me. Ade was also in Hawkwind, back when! The stones on the front cover are Avebury, the "mother of all stone circles." I visit them every time I'm back in England. Again, thanks for listening and digging the Antrock, as it were!

chysn

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 04:18:37 AM »
Agreed, Soundquest. An Anton Barbeau release is an auto-buy for me, and I'm looking forward to spinning this one up today.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 09:13:22 AM »
Agreed, Soundquest. An Anton Barbeau release is an auto-buy for me, and I'm looking forward to spinning this one up today.

Very kind of you, Chysn! I'll let you know when my 23-volume box set is ready! (Winky face!). I hope you enjoy Nat Causes. I've just sent the third installment of the trilogy off for mastering. The next one, Berliner Grotesk, is entirely piano-based and in stark contrast to Natural Causes. I've zero guess what anyone will think of one compared to the other, and I'm honestly not even sure why I've decided these are part of a trilogy. Given that the recordings took place a little bit everywhere, I can't claim it's my "Berlin trilogy," alas. "And I... I'll drink all the time..."