Early Rev2 Issues

Early Rev2 Issues
« on: April 23, 2018, 09:13:10 AM »
Hi all, I own a P08 and have done so for a decade, and its hands down my favourite instrument. I have the module version, and have always wanted a keyboard version but just could not afford it at the time.

I am giving serious consideration to getting a Rev 2. Doing a bit of research I found some complaints about some early batches in regards hardware and the voice boards requiring replacement. However searching on this forum I could not find anything (could be me being rubbish at searching though..)

So my question is, is this correct? And if so, do we have any confidence in regards from which serial numbers onwards the hardware issues were resolved?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Re: Early Rev2 Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 07:53:22 AM »
I had a 16 voice REV2 keyboard that had a faulty voice chip.
It was replaced by my retailer and the second was perfect.:)
There was only 1 digit difference in the serial numbers so I don't think it's a case of there being 'bad batches', just that out of hundreds of synths using analogue circuitry there's always going to be a few that are faulty.
Other minor issues have been remedied by DSI via software updates, which is probably why you're struggling to find as may problems now in your search.
So yes I'd say if you're thinking of a REV2 go for it!
I doubt you'll be disappointed, it's a cracking synth. :)

jg666

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 08:54:43 AM »
It is a cracking synth :)

As a matter of interest though, how do you know if you've got a dodgy voice card?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 08:58:28 AM »
Hi hoodoo_ray.

Why would you worry about such things ? If the REV2 is appealing to you, just get it and enjoy it.
And if ever you were extremely unlucky to get a defective unit (hey, those things happen sometimes), you can rest assured that DSI support will take care of you. Like they did for me.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 03:45:49 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I always do research before investing in a synth, especially something expensive like this.

I am likely to go for it fairly soon. I am also going to try out a Prophet 6.. the Rev 2 is incredibly powerful, I really enjoyed playing it when I tried it out - and I love the P08 anyway - but I am hearing great things about the Prophet 6 too, can't wait to try it!