Why do people like the Rev2 so much more than the Prophet '08?

Re: Why do people like the Rev2 so much more than the Prophet '08?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »
I think the voice mixer in the rev 2 would have been completely redesigned to accommodate the sixteen voices, which would most lightly have changed the overall character of the synth slightly.
Rev2, Pro2, Tempest

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 01:05:42 PM »
I've listened probably to every Rev2 demo on YouTube at least once, and never have I thought for an instant, "Wow, now there's a patch I could never make on my Prophet '08s".  Nor does the quality of the same familiar patches strike me as at all improved.  I've not heard a single string, brass, or PWM patch that sounded superior to my own P'08 patches.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a matter of gaining a greater number of voices, a better quality keyboard, and onboard delay.  And I'm content with that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 01:22:12 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 12:12:42 PM »
As you turn up the resonance on the Prophet '08's filters the bass gets noticeably weaker. This is a design issue, and the Rev2 shares it. If you want a lot of resonance and a lot of bass you can layer with another patch that uses no resonance (or better yet has a tracking resonance at the fundamental frequency).
I wouldn't characterize that as an issue. It's how most resonant filters work, including ladder, 303, and SH101 filters. Some filters try to compensate for bass loss but they're not super common.

dsetto

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 04:42:51 AM »
I use it as a feature.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 07:08:17 AM »
You can somewhat compensate for the loss by exchanging a sawtooth for a sawtooth-triangle waveform.

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 08:36:10 AM »
As you turn up the resonance on the Prophet '08's filters the bass gets noticeably weaker. This is a design issue, and the Rev2 shares it. If you want a lot of resonance and a lot of bass you can layer with another patch that uses no resonance (or better yet has a tracking resonance at the fundamental frequency).
I wouldn't characterize that as an issue. It's how most resonant filters work, including ladder, 303, and SH101 filters. Some filters try to compensate for bass loss but they're not super common.

The purpose of the resonance filter is to emphasize a small bandwidth of sound.  So, by design, bass would be less emphasized in favor of the other bands.  It's not a defect.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »
Sorry, a bad choice of words, "issue." There's a certain synthesizer manufacturer who uses a ladder filter that doesn't have that "characteristic" of cutting the bass as the resonance rises. When the Prophet '08 first came out, the filter was compared to that of the unnamed manufacturer.

It would be so great if the Rev2 had a resonant high pass filter in addition to the low pass filter in order to recover some of the bass that's lost with the increasing resonance of the low pass filter.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:49:42 PM by tumble2k »

dsetto

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 04:10:12 PM »
Nice.  __ Not discrediting your perspective, simply chatting .... I use the resonance intentionally when I want to reduce bass, in lieu of analog high pass. Sometimes I approximate an OB6 feel with it. ... My own rationalization has been lots of voices can get too thick, so perhaps that's why? And as it can be split or layered, bass duties can be rationed out rationally.  All that said -- just remembered my my Rev2 mixer channels start out at bass up high.