Small Noise on Voice 3

jmnes

Small Noise on Voice 3
« on: April 18, 2018, 07:57:43 PM »
Hello - I've noticed that there is a small noise present only on voice three. It sounds like a very quiet sawtooth tuned to about G#6. If I play a basic sound, like a plain kick, I can hear the noise every time that voice gets allocated.

If I assign the sound to voice 3, I can hear it every time.  If I turn all the oscillators, envelopes and LFOs completely off, the noise does stop - but i can hear it as i turn the Amp envelope back up.

I have recalibrated the Analog Oscillators and Filters, but it is still present.  Do I need to get this serviced?

Re: Small Noise on Voice 3
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 01:50:00 AM »
What’s your OS versions?Are you using the compressor?

jmnes

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 04:59:10 AM »

I’m using the latest OS (1.5.0.2) and I believe I have the compressor completely off. If I make an empty patch (no   osc, filter or envelopes besides Amp) and go to the voice assignment - there is no noise on any voice except 3. Is there a voice specific setting somewhere I’m missing?

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 03:02:01 PM »
What’s your Voice OS version?You need to install 1.5 there too..Also first reset your system settings and after that re-calibrate everything (voices,pads,stripes etc.) with all cables unplugged (except the power cord of course) and report back...If all these fail to solve your issue contact support..

I’m using the latest OS (1.5.0.2) and I believe I have the compressor completely off. If I make an empty patch (no   osc, filter or envelopes besides Amp) and go to the voice assignment - there is no noise on any voice except 3. Is there a voice specific setting somewhere I’m missing?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:04:27 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

jmnes

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:58 PM »
I contacted support and they walked me through a simple fix related to a ribbon inside the unit.

Thank you for the advice.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 12:45:16 AM »
Nice!
Can you send support’s reply for future reference?
I contacted support and they walked me through a simple fix related to a ribbon inside the unit.

Thank you for the advice.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 12:09:28 PM »
I am having exactly the same problem. All oscillators are off, I program a trigger in "16 time steps" mode, assign the pad to Voice Three and there is a fast, high pitched impulse of sound present for every trigger programmed into the step sequencer. The sound is not present on any of the other voices. Its pitch isn't affected by the oscillator pitch parameters, it isn't affected by the filter or envelopes either. It does get more pronounced when i increase the distortion and/or the compressor.

I've updated to the latest OS (all four sysex files loaded successfully)
I've reset the system parameters
And I've run all of the calibrations several times...
The sound is still present.

Any suggestions?
Jmnes, would you mind sharing the ribbon related fix you received from DSI Support?
Thanks!

jmnes

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 12:52:10 PM »
Jmnes, would you mind sharing the ribbon related fix you received from DSI Support?
Thanks!

I don’t have the exact details any more, but they had me open the unit and reseat the ribbon controller that attaches the two boards. It is supposed to be “tucked in” but came loose. I think this kind of made it touch the voice three area and led to the issue.

If you email support, they can give the exact details. They are very responsive.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »
Thank you, so much for the quick reply!

I opened up the Tempest, found what I believed to be the cable that needs to be tucked between the two circuit boards, tucked it back in there, closed it back up.

The sound is still present, but it is slightly quieter.

I emailed DSI support. The only other time I’ve contacted them they were very prompt and helpful, so I’m sure things will be fine in the end.

Thanks, again!