Pot mode "Passthru" should show parameter value as soon as knob turns

chexg

Hi,
Recently bought the Rev2--love it! Just wanted to voice a suggestion that I thought might be beneficial to all and hopefully easy to implement:

(Note: I am using firmware 1.1.0.3)

When "Pot Mode" = "Passthru"
It would be great if turning a knob showed the current value of the parameter, as soon as you start turning. Currently when you turn a knob, that is not aligned with the current value, you will not see any parameter value UNTIL you turn the knob at the precise "passthru" point. It would be helpful to know what the passthru value is as soon as you start turning the knob so that I know if I need to turn it clockwise or counter (lower or high value). Minor change that will speed up the process of changing knobs without having to blindly turn the knob until I stumble upon the "passthru" point. I prefer "passthru" because I do not like the abrupt changes of the "jump" pot mode.

I hope that makes sense. On the same subject, it would be nice to always know where the preset/saved value is when turning a knob, but I'll take what I can get.

Thank you for reading!

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Re: Pot mode "Passthru" should show parameter value as soon as knob turns
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 12:56:06 AM »
Hi,
Recently bought the Rev2--love it! Just wanted to voice a suggestion that I thought might be beneficial to all and hopefully easy to implement:

It would be great if turning a knob showed the current value of the parameter, as soon as you start turning. Currently when you turn a knob, that is not aligned with the current value, you will not see any parameter value UNTIL you turn the knob at the precise "passthru" point. It would be helpful to know what the passthru value is as soon as you start turning the knob so that I know if I need to turn it clockwise or counter (lower or high value). Minor change that will speed up the process of changing knobs without having to blindly turn the knob until I stumble upon the "passthru" point. I prefer "passthru" because I do not like the abrupt changes of the "jump" pot mode.

I hope that makes sense. On the same subject, it would be nice to always know where the preset/saved value is when turning a knob, but I'll take what I can get.

Thank you for reading!
I am not at my Rev2 right now, but if I remember correctly, can't you do this by holding the Show button while turning the parameter knob? Unfortunately you will need to use both hands ...
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

janekroll

• Minimalist
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 01:12:41 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for reading!
I am not at my Rev2 right now, but if I remember correctly, can't you do this by holding the Show button while turning the parameter knob? Unfortunately you will need to use both hands ...

If I remember correctly, if you hold the show button you still can't see the value until you pass through it, the difference being that the sound doesn't change...

chexg

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 03:20:03 AM »
The "show" button is cool, until I start playing and suddenly realize I need to stop playing with both hands to use the "show" button w/ one hand, and turn a knob with the other >.<

If you think about it, in "passthru" mode, if they show you the value when you turn a knob, as soon as you start turning, then there's no need for a "show" button, right? AND you'd only need to use one hand.

Just thought this would make for good discussion :) I love the rev2 so far...

jg666

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 03:57:12 AM »
The show button on the Pro2 is slightly different. That stays on until you switch it off again. I wonder if that could be an option for the Rev2 at some time in the future?

It took me a while to get used to the Pro2 Show button though having used the Rev2 first :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 05:20:18 AM »
As a new user I agree that the display of parameter values could be more immediate. This is good suggestion by the OP; I thought I would like passthru mode but actually it gets quite frustrating if the value is at minimum or maximum because there's a lot of wiggling to do before you find the original value. I've gone back to using relative mode, then I get immediate feedback on the value and an immediate response.

chexg

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 02:41:30 AM »
As a new user I agree that the display of parameter values could be more immediate. This is good suggestion by the OP; I thought I would like passthru mode but actually it gets quite frustrating if the value is at minimum or maximum because there's a lot of wiggling to do before you find the original value. I've gone back to using relative mode, then I get immediate feedback on the value and an immediate response.

Exactly! Relative mode is great for immediate change and smooth change without jumping, but it can also lead to its own special problems...

Again to reiterate, it would be great if passthru showed the immediate readout of the value when turning a knob--so that we know where to turn the knob in order to initial value change. I think this would then become the "best" pot mode. Any other thoughts?

jg666

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 03:56:40 AM »
My Korg synth only shows the value once youv'e passed through the current value so I have to assume that this is fairly standard behaviour?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

chexg

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 04:25:31 AM »
My Korg synth only shows the value once youv'e passed through the current value so I have to assume that this is fairly standard behaviour?

The Rev2 is the first synth that I've used where it even gives me an option of "pot mode". So I am thankful for that, but even if the way "passthru" works on the rev is standard, I'll still voice my recommendation on what could be changed.

I guess my idea is more along the lines of: As soon as you turn a knob in "passthru" mode, it behaves as if you are holding down the show button, until you turn to the passthru point and start changing the value. I think that would be pretty sweet :)

dsetto

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 08:53:28 PM »
+1 on this. Just had this thought today. The way you just phrased it is even clearer.

I wonder what usage benefits would be lost with this suggested approach?