Display function on Keys vs Module?

Display function on Keys vs Module?
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:25:46 PM »
Hi all,

Has anyone had or played with both he keyboard and the module version of the P12?

If so are there any major differences between how the display function?

i.e., on the module if I wish to alter the VCA envelope, I press the amplifier select button and then the display soft knobs and buttons are used to do the altering.  Obviously on the keyboard you have direct control knobs of these most of these functions, but can you still use the soft knobs as you can on the module or is the whole display less use totally different?

Hope that all makes sense, and thanks in advance for anyone who knows!

Re: Display function on Keys vs Module?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 01:06:57 AM »
Also curious if the keyed is the same as the Rev2 of anyone knows.  Love my Rev2 key action and gaping the P12 will be the same.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 04:27:48 AM »
You can use the 4 soft keys for each parameter you want to control. I use it when i need a stepped control instead of a smooth one.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 05:48:44 AM »
Also curious if the keyed is the same as the Rev2 of anyone knows.  Love my Rev2 key action and gaping the P12 will be the same.

Similar, but not the same: the P12 action (from a different supplier) is slightly "easier", with a slightly more rectangular key profile, but it's close enough that you'll be satisfied with both. The mechanicals are almost exactly the same design.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:17:55 AM »
Thanks people!

Appreciate the input very much.

Mchamilk, if I touch say any knob to do with the LPF, does that bring up all the controls of the LPF on the screen to then edit via them?  And dame for other sections follows I assume.

DavidDever, thats great to hear, close enough is just fine, I am an especially competent player (yet, I'm working on it), I just want it to feel quality like the rev2 at least, even if some emphasis is different.

Im looking at selling my Rev2 keys and P12 Module to fund a P12 keyboard.  For me I find that a very large portion of what I can on the Rev2 I can do on the P12.  While solo I think the Rev2 sounds nicer for the (IMO) large overlap, in the mix I find it more than close enough to struggle to justify having both.  But I just don't want to lose the lovely keyboard :)

Cheers!

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 01:35:47 PM »
The Prophet 12 and the module operate exactly the same way, the only difference being you move a knob in the section to make it active.

So for example if you wish to see the filter envelop settings you'll have to move either the attack, decay, sustain or release pot in the filter section for the info to be displayed. You can then use the soft knobs and buttons above and below the display to alter values exactly as you would on the module.

I have both the Rev2 and the Prophet 12 and they are both excellent, however in terms of navigating the UI, the Prophet 12 is MUCH better thanks to the bigger display and the soft Knobs and buttons that surround it.
Plus the numeric keypad (not found on the P12 module) helps too. :)

From a playing point of view the Prophet 12 is better too, largely because of the 'playlist' mode (which is very handy when playing live) and the slider strips which are just ace. :)

From a keybed point of view though, the REV2 is definitely better.
The action is very light on the Prophet 12 and it is very easy to accidentally trigger aftertouch just through normal play as a result, whereas on the REV2 you have to actually give the key an extra push to trigger aftertouch as you'd expect.
I've adapted my playing on the P12 now, so it's much less of an issue, but it's the first synth I've ever had to change my playing style for, so I think it's fair to say that this is it's only weakness IMO.

If Dave Smith were to offer a replacement keybed based on the REV2 for the P12, I definitely go for it.

That said, overall as an instrument, the P12 is definitely 'the daddy' IMO and by far my favourite synth in my arsenal. :)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:40:18 PM by jazzygb1 »

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
Thanks for the input mate!

She’s my favourite too, getting the keyboard will be a nice upgrade, although the module is very quick and intuitive to use.

But as I said I struggle personally for my uses to justify both due to the overlap.  Now if it was a P6 or so I think there would be more sonic differentiation:).