OS Update wish list (copy/paste from the P6 section)

OS Update wish list (copy/paste from the P6 section)
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:31:59 AM »
Hi Folks,

I wrote a little thing about how helpful it would be to be able to disable program change on the P6.  Since the OB-6 is so similar, I thought I'd copy/paste my idea here too in case lots of folks thought it was a good idea.  Let me know what you think. 

Here's the post:

Hi Folks,

I replied to a thread but it was specifically asking for another wish list item so I thought I'd be specific here.  I'd love if I could disable program change on the P6 and OB-6.  Since the 2nd layer of the "9" button is currently unused, it'd be great to use that to handle program change.  In conjunction with the Dec and Inc. buttons, I think a good option would be to have them select "Snd", "Rcv", "Bth" and "Off".  There are several situations where I think this kind of functionality would be very handy. 

W07

Re: OS Update wish list (copy/paste from the P6 section)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »
Since this is an update wish-list, i'll add one of my own:

I'd like a way to limit the upper range of the modweel,
when you are using the MWhl for vibrato for example, it's very easy to overshoot and get this siren-like warble.

Being able to specify the range of the modwheel seems a handy and quick & easy thing to implement.

Please comment if you agree!

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 06:46:24 PM »
That would be nice. But what I'm also really hoping for is a way to transpose a playing sequence without the need to hold the Record button.

Please comment if you agree !
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »
All the suggestions above have merit(really like the seq transpose Alain)

Beat Sync for the Arp is a huge deal IMO, very important.

Envelope/filter SLOP would be awesome....

If you're only gonna have one LFO, make it more powerful:

For the LFO:  Having individual depths for each of the mod sources would be awesome(hold the button for the mod source while tweaking initial amount)......the LFO mod depth control would scale the amounts to each mod destination when using the lfo initial amount/mod depth......or it could act like it does now where the initial amount/lfo mod depth is the same for all lfo mod destinations to retain compatibility with current patch sets.

An option for loopable Envelopes...this would be huge!

The EG and LFO suggestions greatly increase modulation while keeping current knob per function capability and current amount of LFOs/EGs...

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 01:08:09 AM »
As John said above, simple depths for mod amounts would be amazing, and/or a dedicated modwheel lfo assigned in a similar fashion.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 04:19:37 AM »

For the LFO:  Having individual depths for each of the mod sources would be awesome(hold the button for the mod source while tweaking initial amount)......the LFO mod depth control would scale the amounts to each mod destination when using the lfo initial amount/mod depth......or it could act like it does now where the initial amount/lfo mod depth is the same for all lfo mod destinations to retain compatibility with current patch sets.

The EG and LFO suggestions greatly increase modulation while keeping current knob per function capability and current amount of LFOs/EGs...

Excellent idea for the LFO and envelope destination amounts; not sure whether this would ever be implemented due to patch compatibility, except maybe as an offset?
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »

Excellent idea for the LFO and envelope destination amounts; not sure whether this would ever be implemented due to patch compatibility, except maybe as an offset?

Thanks!  Cool thing about it is, if the patch originally created had all the same lfo depth mod amounts when there are simultaneous destinations selected it still could be....and the envelopes could still be one shot if the patch originally called for it....either way, the patch could be made to be the same easily regardless by the patch set creator or end users.

I think OB-6 users would elect to have this upgrade regardless of how it effected patches, but it seems like if an old patch was loaded it could still work like it always did....with the update you could still have multiple destinations with the same mod amount and one shot Envelopes like always.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »

Thanks!  Cool thing about it is, if the patch originally created had all the same lfo depth mod amounts when there are simultaneous destinations selected it still could be....and the envelopes could still be one shot if the patch originally called for it....either way, the patch could be made to be the same easily regardless by the patch set creator or end users.

I think OB-6 users would elect to have this upgrade regardless of how it effected patches, but it seems like if an old patch was loaded it could still work like it always did....with the update you could still have multiple destinations with the same mod amount and one shot Envelopes like always.

I would go even further to say: OB-6 users would elect to have this upgrade (different modulation amounts for LFO targets) even if they have to pay something extra for it.
And another feature I would like: another "wave shape" for the LFO, which is just a constant (no change over time). So you could increase e.g. the cutoff with the ModWheel, without any wobbling.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 03:16:19 PM »
My only wish is some way on the OB-6 desktop to use the bank and patch buttons as a way to input notes in the sequencer.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 07:26:40 PM »
I would like to be able to import a MIDI file (*.mid) into the sequencer directly.
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 11:07:25 AM »
That would be nice. But what I'm also really hoping for is a way to transpose a playing sequence without the need to hold the Record button.

I would think this would be an easy one.  I've mentioned many times already in this form.  Thinking of putting in my own switch to keep the circuit closed.  Duct tape works, but is ugly ;)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 04:45:42 PM »
For the LFO:  Having individual depths for each of the mod sources would be awesome(hold the button for the mod source while tweaking initial amount)......the LFO mod depth control would scale the amounts to each mod destination when using the lfo initial amount/mod depth......

Something like this is on my wish list since my first hour with the OB-6... To me the LFO section is really the weak spot of the OB-6 - if I want just a subtle vibrato on the VCOs, all other possible destinations become obsolete because the modulation amount is way too small. IMHO at least the control range of the Initial Amount for the VCOs should become adjustable (one possibility would be a fine/coarse "switch" accessible via controller). In its current state it's really not very useful - after turning the pot more than a millimeter, the OB-6 becomes more or less a siren simulator. This may be great for FX sounds but not for something a bit more "musical" (which is at least what I've bought my OB-6 for ;) )...

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 05:02:35 PM »

Something like this is on my wish list since my first hour with the OB-6... To me the LFO section is really the weak spot of the OB-6 - if I want just a subtle vibrato on the VCOs, all other possible destinations become obsolete because the modulation amount is way too small. IMHO at least the control range of the Initial Amount for the VCOs should become adjustable (one possibility would be a fine/coarse "switch" accessible via controller). In its current state it's really not very useful - after turning the pot more than a millimeter, the OB-6 becomes more or less a siren simulator. This may be great for FX sounds but not for something a bit more "musical" (which is at least what I've bought my OB-6 for ;) )...

If multiple, unique destination amounts aren't possible maybe they could just create a fine mode for the VCO pitch destinations. It is way too strong with very little knob movement while the other destinations aren't. If there was some kind of switch to scale the VCO pitch amounts to make them more in line with the other destinations it would go a long way.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

LoboLives

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »

Agreed.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 10:47:24 AM »
To be honest, I don't expect any new firmware updates with new features for the OB6 from DSI. Only possibly minor ones to correct some bugs, and even then I don't really expect it.
Even though some often requested features might be very easy to implement. The DSI team is probably hard at work with the Prophet X now.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 12:12:24 PM »
To be honest, I don't expect any new firmware updates with new features for the OB6 from DSI. Only possibly minor ones to correct some bugs, and even then I don't really expect it.
Even though some often requested features might be very easy to implement. The DSI team is probably hard at work with the Prophet X now.

Actually in one of the REV2 threads they mentioned this in terms of BEAT SYNC for the sequencer/arpeggiator.

"It's basically working in the Prophet X now (Although not in the 1.0 release it will be released soon) and it should get ported back to some of our older instruments, namely the Rev2, OB6 and P6"

So I think they may indeed look at updating some of their older instruments this year. Mostly in terms of sequencer/arpeggiator functionality I think.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »

Man, STFU lol  ;D, couldn't disagree more...I think OB-6 should get an update in it's life span.  OB-6 is still a young synth really as far as DSI product cycles go.  The Product has lots of life in it yet, and is really IMO a modern classic.  BTW, Prophet X fills an entirely different niche in the product line than the VCO polys(P6/OB6)

Actually in one of the REV2 threads they mentioned this in terms of BEAT SYNC for the sequencer/arpeggiator.

"It's basically working in the Prophet X now (Although not in the 1.0 release it will be released soon) and it should get ported back to some of our older instruments, namely the Rev2, OB6 and P6"

So I think they may indeed look at updating some of their older instruments this year. Mostly in terms of sequencer/arpeggiator functionality I think.

That is AWESOME news!  Thanks man!  If true thanks so much all at DSI!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:39:28 PM by John01W »

MPM

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 06:46:06 AM »
Keyboard Split
or
Loop Envelopes
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 02:13:14 PM »
I really miss a key trigger option for the LFO... especially with s/h random wave this would make awesome Vince Clarke bleeps!
OB6 desktop x2, DSI Rev2 16, Toraiz AS-1, Prophet 12, Pro 2, Vermona 14, Roland System 8, Matrixbrute, Jomox Sunsyn MKII

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 04:41:27 PM »
A cool way to add keytruggered LFO would be to add this option when you press sync - first option could be keytrigger, and then the following options different bars of midi sync.

And still there is the mod+pitchwheel bug in poly chain. I bought a second OB6 module yesterday because I read it here that it is possible to transmit wheel data with 2 OB6 modules poly chained together, but it‘s indeed only to the master module transmitted, not to the slave.
OB6 desktop x2, DSI Rev2 16, Toraiz AS-1, Prophet 12, Pro 2, Vermona 14, Roland System 8, Matrixbrute, Jomox Sunsyn MKII