Rev 2 aftertouch mechanics

Rev 2 aftertouch mechanics
« on: April 13, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
I have question about the key mechanics concerning aftertouch on the Rev 2.

I've noticed that after I depress the key entirely, there can be a secondary depression when I apply extra pressure (only on the white keys), where the front of the key goes down a couple of millimeters and the back/rear of the key lifts/teeters upwards a couple of millimeters. Is this alright to do while playing or is this because of too much pressure?

My suspicion is that this is normal mechanics of an aftertouch keyboard but it doesn't do it on the black keys and I have no experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks for any insight. I am probably just being overly cautious with my new keyboard!

jok3r

Re: Rev 2 aftertouch mechanics
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 01:23:16 PM »
My suspicion is that this is normal mechanics of an aftertouch keyboard but it doesn't do it on the black keys and I have no experience with this sort of thing.

My Kurzweil PC361 has the same Fatar keybed as the Rev 2 (as far as I know) and it looks the same when I press the keys very strong. I play the board for 5 years now and didn't recognize any damages optically oder technically, although I press the keys this hard very often (especially when I play live on loud stages and suddenly cannot hear my strings on the monitor anymore ;-) ). So I think it's the normal behavior of this Fatar TP9S(??? please correct me if it's another model).
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 07:09:56 AM »
Thanks for your input jok3r  :)

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 10:44:53 AM »
Thanks for any insight. I am probably just being overly cautious with my new keyboard!

Yes you are.

My REV2's Fatar keybed exhibits the same normal behavior. I think it has to do with the fact that the white keys are longer than the black ones, and have a part of them that overhangs the location of the pressure point on the aftertouch strip, creating a pivot point that the black keys don't have.

Enjoy your REV2 ! 

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 06:58:05 PM »
 :)