OB6 Jump On Reverb.com

LoboLives

OB6 Jump On Reverb.com
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:42:12 PM »
Not exactly the most accurate video (saying the original was done with the OBX instead of the OBXa, lack of oscillators being fined tuned etc).

I’ve noticed a lot of these Reverb videos are pretty inaccurate or not totally informative, perhaps we should start doing our own tutorial videos? 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=203s&v=eev8PnamjKA

Jdoo

Re: OB6 Jump On Reverb.com
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 01:35:04 PM »
I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from posting videos.  There are some good nuggets in that Reverb one you posted.  On Jump?..  I’ve had a handful of ‘Jump’ patches on various synths.  On the OB.. there are some good patches by Luke Neptune,  Jamie Morden and a couple of others.  I’ve ended up with a hybrid that I use.. but built it up primarily with a patch done by Mike Corbett. All of the Jump patches I have seen, use some form of delay, along with Chorus.  What set Mike’s patch apart, was the right mixture of BBD.  There is BBD in the video you posted… but Mike’s was slightly different, and makes his patch leap off the OB.   It's a strong echo -- but plays well with the patch.  Otherwise -- detuned oscillators is the heart of most Jump patches. :D

CLK SYNC On
BBD
8d

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »
Not exactly the most accurate video (saying the original was done with the OBX instead of the OBXa, lack of oscillators being fined tuned etc).

I’ve noticed a lot of these Reverb videos are pretty inaccurate or not totally informative, perhaps we should start doing our own tutorial videos? 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=203s&v=eev8PnamjKA

Luke Neptune's OB6 Jump patch is awesome...actually sounds better than the original IMO!  All that lovely OB FIZZ right where it should be...

https://youtu.be/a29nZUwRGCU?t=1m10s
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:59:49 PM by John01W »

W07

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 02:21:35 AM »
I was also experimenting with it after seeing the reverb vid. There's little actual information in those vids, it's like a cooking show where they go "an now we will be grating some unicon horn on top, and sprinkle with elfen tears" I don't have a prophet 5 lying around lol.
2 things that took this patch to the next level for me: i put the filter state to about 8 o'clock and set aftertouch to filtermode down the same amount, so i can make notes more expressive and deep with AT.

I also used some tricks from these vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YovLglTuY
One of the masters at work, Steve Porcaro from Toto... he's so coked-up it's hilarious, but dang this cat got skills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCurJJoSrS4&t=40s

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:23:24 AM by W07 »

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 12:07:07 AM »
I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from posting videos.  There are some good nuggets in that Reverb one you posted.  On Jump?..  I’ve had a handful of ‘Jump’ patches on various synths.  On the OB.. there are some good patches by Luke Neptune,  Jamie Morden and a couple of others.  I’ve ended up with a hybrid that I use.. but built it up primarily with a patch done by Mike Corbett. All of the Jump patches I have seen, use some form of delay, along with Chorus.  What set Mike’s patch apart, was the right mixture of BBD.  There is BBD in the video you posted… but Mike’s was slightly different, and makes his patch leap off the OB.   It's a strong echo -- but plays well with the patch.  Otherwise -- detuned oscillators is the heart of most Jump patches. :D

CLK SYNC On
BBD
8d

Thank you for the compliment. I have since modified and perfected my Jump patch. I added a slight amount of portamento, and it was exactly what was needed to perfectly emulate the sound. I also changed the patch to more reverb and less delay. If anyone wants the sysex file of my latest version, feel free to contact me. I share it for free. Everyone needs a perfect Jump patch!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:21:34 AM by Hungedu »
DSI OB-6, Roland D-50, Roland JD-800, Roland Jupiter-80, Roland Boutique VP-03, JP-08, SH-01A, D-05, TR-09

Jdoo

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:32:21 PM »
Yikes Mike.  It really IS, even better.  So much going on...  I like that you are using Hall Reverb now.  Initially... thought the BBD Delay was a key component.  Actually - it's not missed at all.  Playing the new patch side-by-side with the one I had molded from your first... the new one is deeper, sounds bassier.  Excellent patch!  Definitely an excellent Jump and it does a mean "Subdivisions" impersonation too... without changing much of anything.

What I *did* add.. was Aftertouch LFO Freq: 150 Amount 150 (which suits my Axiom Pro controller)... but that is my preference for smashing keys down, and getting LFO wiggle. :)  Thanks again for the patch.  Very well done.

Thank you for the compliment. I have since modified and perfected my Jump patch. I added a slight amount of portamento, and it was exactly what was needed to perfectly emulate the sound. I also changed the patch to more reverb and less delay. If anyone wants the sysex file of my latest version, feel free to contact me. I share it for free. Everyone needs a perfect Jump patch!

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:20:27 PM »
Yikes Mike.  It really IS, even better.  So much going on...  I like that you are using Hall Reverb now.  Initially... thought the BBD Delay was a key component.  Actually - it's not missed at all.  Playing the new patch side-by-side with the one I had molded from your first... the new one is deeper, sounds bassier.  Excellent patch!  Definitely an excellent Jump and it does a mean "Subdivisions" impersonation too... without changing much of anything.

What I *did* add.. was Aftertouch LFO Freq: 150 Amount 150 (which suits my Axiom Pro controller)... but that is my preference for smashing keys down, and getting LFO wiggle. :)  Thanks again for the patch.  Very well done.

Thank you for the feedback! I spent a lot of time listening to various emulations of the patch from people on YouTube. I determined what elements made certain versions sound better than others. Adding the portamento gives a Jump patch an explosive, percussive effect that the original OB-X Van Halen version had. Also, the original Van Halen patch uses a moderate level of reverb, more like my updated version. The only other guy who has a patch comparable to mine is Alessandro Bizzarri. He posted his version on YouTube and demonstrates it on a Nord Stage 2.
DSI OB-6, Roland D-50, Roland JD-800, Roland Jupiter-80, Roland Boutique VP-03, JP-08, SH-01A, D-05, TR-09

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 09:14:32 AM »
What would be all the settings for the perfect Jump patch?

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 10:26:10 AM »
Maybe someone with SoundTower can post an image of my Jump patch here? I would if I had the software, but I do everything old-school.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
I'd love to see the exact settings too, just out of curiousity.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 07:24:48 PM »

Here are my latest Jump patch settings. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:05:55 PM by Hungedu »

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 08:48:16 PM »

Here are my latest Jump patch settings. Enjoy!

Thanks! I’ll give this a try on my P6 this weekend and see if I can get close.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 10:25:11 PM »
Here is the Mike Corbett Jump patch sysex file.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 12:23:20 PM »
Thanks!