Exodus Digital Valkyrie

Re: Exodus Digital-Valkyrie
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »
I must admit I thought this was an April fools.

128 voices with 10 oscillators at 32 times oversampling at 96k for only 10 Watts sounds like total fantasy, love to be proved wrong though.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 06:19:42 PM »
The article is dated as 06/04, but I can't find any info on the company at all.  Not even an FB page.  Still doesn't mean vapourware.  "Wavetable" seems to be used in the good ol' "bank of sample you can use one of at any time" way, which is disappointing.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 12:20:39 AM »
It does look interesting, sort of like a newer Virus, even looks similar.

I'm thinking maybe they are doing it with FPGAs:

Sound generation is all done in custom designed hardware at an incredible 32x oversampled rate

Every voice could be calculated in parallel on a FPGA and they could easily hit a frequency of 96k times 32.

So maybe not an Aprils fool, interested here to see what happens...

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Exodus Digital Valkyrie
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 04:09:25 AM »
First videos (from Messe 2018) about the Exodus Digital Valkyrie have been posted:

Sonicstate:

Synth Anatomy:

Sounds very interesting, FGPAs based, large polyphony, multiple stereo outs, multitimbral etc.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

LoboLives

Re: Exodus Digital Valkyrie
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 06:04:46 AM »
First videos (from Messe 2018) about the Exodus Digital Valkyrie have been posted:

Sonicstate:

Synth Anatomy:

Sounds very interesting, FGPAs based, large polyphony, multiple stereo outs, multitimbral etc.

Already a thread about this :)

https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,2461.0.html

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 06:25:04 AM »

Sonicstate:

Synth Anatomy:

Already a thread about this :)

https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,2461.0.html
Whoops .... can forum master please merge these threads?
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 08:22:42 AM »
Whoops .... can forum master please merge these threads?

Done.

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 08:45:18 AM »
If they do a keyboard version I'm sold.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »
Thankfully no temptation for me, reminds me too much of the Virus TI snow I had.   
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

eXode

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 11:31:26 PM »
It does look interesting, sort of like a newer Virus, even looks similar.

I'm thinking maybe they are doing it with FPGAs:

Every voice could be calculated in parallel on a FPGA and they could easily hit a frequency of 96k times 32.

So maybe not an Aprils fool, interested here to see what happens...

FPGA was confirmed by the developer. Overall it seems like a very capable instrument.

You get true polyphony so unless you enable a dual/stack mode you always have full polyphony (128 voices, iirc) regardless of amount of oscillators/effects used, which is very nice imho.

People have speculated about price and the developer stated that it will be well under 2000.

From their soundcloud:

"Valkyrie is getting ready for production! Keep an eye out for an important announcement coming very soon about exciting new plans for the synth !

-- The Exodus Digital Team

Valkyrie has two groups of five 32x oversampled oscillators per voice (a total of 1280 actual oscillators) with hard sync, ring mod and FM, dual PCM wavetables with 4,096 (!) waves available, lots of detuning, dual analog ladder modelling filters with 12 and 24dB/octave options, an advanced modulation matrix, a killer stereo hypersaw, an arpeggiator, 3 EGs and 3 stereo LFOs with 64 shapes and MIDI sync. It is 8 part multitimbral with a dedicated nine module FX unit per part including shelving EQ with sweepable mid and formant filter, dual (pre- and post-FX) tube response limiters, 5 algorithm distortion unit, chorus/flanger, DDL, a truly wonderful 6-stage phaser plus reverb. All of these run in stereo at 96kHz floating point. With the exception of dual filters/dual voice mode which uses two voices per note, Valkyrie ALWAYS delivers 128 notes of polyphony regardless of settings or effects. There are no compromises.

Valkyrie implements full keyboard MIDI tuning for alternative tunings such as Hermode.

Valkyrie is a hardware synth. There's no DSP chips here, that's obsolete technology from the 90s. All sound generation and filtering is 100% custom build hardware that was designed from the ground up for interactive creativity. We even designed our own multicore operating system designed specifically for audio. Valkyrie uses less than 10W of power and starts up in less than 4 seconds. Keyboard and 19' rack models are in development.

Valkyrie has 4 balanced stereo 32bit 96kHz analog outputs using audiophile-grade components, 8 stereo 96kHz parts over USB 2.0 plus stereo return (all USB Audio Class 2.0 class compliant, Windows 7+ and OSX) with ASIO and 48kHz downsample mode. There's ultra low latency MIDI (via physical MIDI and class-compliant USB) and a beautiful high resolution OLED display. Valkyrie stores over 3,300 Patches all of which can be instantly recalled on the front panel or via MIDI."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:56:38 PM by eXode »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 03:52:54 AM »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 04:53:33 AM »
Makes perfect sense, albeit "hijacked" is a bit strong. It's rather an impromptu collaboration. Nice move by Waldorf.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 05:22:04 AM »
Makes perfect sense, albeit "hijacked" is a bit strong. It's rather an impromptu collaboration. Nice move by Waldorf.

exaggeration promotes understanding ;)
If you need me, follow the shadows...