Buying a P12 in 2018/2019 and other small questions.

Re: Buying a P12 in 2018/2019 and other small questions.
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 01:20:42 PM »

Sulque,  The best I can answer is that I have both because I got them at totally different times and for different reasons.    Comparing them despite their differences is difficult if we eliminate the two main points of polyphony and sequencer that you mentioned. 

Their similarity to me is the oscillators engine, the delays, mod matrix.   The raw wave sounds on each are exactly the same sounding to me.  But perhaps that brings up a need for a 6 string versus 12 string guitar analogy.  Which do you want?  or should I say, which makes most sense for you?

I love my Pro2.  Somewhere in the Pro 2 forum there's a topic about being frozen creatively when sitting down in front of it- because its very deep....and other reasons we pondered.     I don't sense that issue because the sequencer is such a huge part of it and that is the reason I have that instrument.  So I think its more of reaching for the right instrument at the time of your inspiration.   If Pro 2 it did not have the sequencer feature then the p12 would be my obvious choice.   Totally just my opinion... but I can see where like a Pro 2 would be suited for the dance music/techno type thing, and modular controller,  where as the film composer would want to go for the P12.  Both could be used vise-versa to some degree,  though I think P12 would have the edge in most circumstances.
I am thankful you own both. My main DAW is Reason that's why I would be naturally attracted to hardware synths with monstrous modulation capabilities for sound design, music for video productions. The P12 came numero uno on my list, and is still is after your opinion and my needs.
Regards  :)

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 09:08:44 PM »
I have both the P-12 and the Pro-2.  I find myself tending to the Pro-2 for bass, leads, and weird sounds.  Have not delved deeply into the sequencer section probably for lack of time more than anything else.   The Pro-2's strength is in monophonic sound.  So the basic approach is different than a poly.

I find myself gravitating to the P-12 for the polyphonic sounds whether they be more traditional or wacky.   Also, I prefer polyphonic to paraphonic.   So, it will be the P-12 if I am playing two or more notes simultaneously.

While the sound engines are basically the same, hands on they are very different and the right-brain creativity takes me different directions with each instrument.  I'm glad I have both and would not sell one in preference to the other.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 06:02:47 AM »
I have both the P-12 and the Pro-2.  I find myself tending to the Pro-2 for bass, leads, and weird sounds.  Have not delved deeply into the sequencer section probably for lack of time more than anything else.   The Pro-2's strength is in monophonic sound.  So the basic approach is different than a poly.

I find myself gravitating to the P-12 for the polyphonic sounds whether they be more traditional or wacky.   Also, I prefer polyphonic to paraphonic.   So, it will be the P-12 if I am playing two or more notes simultaneously.

While the sound engines are basically the same, hands on they are very different and the right-brain creativity takes me different directions with each instrument.  I'm glad I have both and would not sell one in preference to the other.
Great to know. Very helpful community. :)

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »
Will there ever be another Prophet 12 update or are they done working on it?  Would be nice to see "superwaves" or "supersaws". 

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »
Will there ever be another Prophet 12 update or are they done working on it?  Would be nice to see "superwaves" or "supersaws".
I thought you could do this with a P12 already, with a little bit of programming.

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 08:34:11 PM »
I thought you could do this with a P12 already, with a little bit of programming.
I don't know, can you? Please explain?

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 12:02:17 AM »
Well a supersaw is basically a load of saw waves slightly detuned, the original has 7.

You have 4 oscillators per layer on the P12, so using both layers you can get your 7 slightly detuned saws.

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 07:25:53 AM »
Well a supersaw is basically a load of saw waves slightly detuned, the original has 7.

You have 4 oscillators per layer on the P12, so using both layers you can get your 7 slightly detuned saws.
8)
One thing the Pro 2 has I wish the Pro 12 had is the oscillator articulation option (8:15 min)
https://youtu.be/rA1sJAPiD9Q?list=PLIIy8BPfVlJ-P2ddW68Jd7ZftVbzwXo1X&t=493

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 08:23:41 AM »
I agree that would be cool, but I bet it's DSP heavy to do.
Doable perhaps on the Pro 2 because it's paraphonic not polyphonic like the P12.

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 04:07:42 AM »
Yup, the Pro-2 has whole a DSP for 1 voice while on the P-12, two voices shares the same DSP.

But what I can say about the P-12, in my personal opinion, on the synth market, it fully filled the place of the Waldorf Q, a niche vacant for years since Waldorf's bankruptcy in 2004.

I'm one the first buyers of the P-12 and even if I'd buy an OB-6 desktop if I had the money, the P-12 still remains the most jubilatory synth I've ever touched. I particulary like to split it, playing a deep unison bass with my left hand and chords with my right hand, like on this track  :)

https://thedisease.bandcamp.com/track/dusk
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:12:11 AM by Mr Kay »

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
Yup, the Pro-2 has whole a DSP for 1 voice while on the P-12, two voices shares the same DSP.

But what I can say about the P-12, in my personal opinion, on the synth market, it fully filled the place of the Waldorf Q, a niche vacant for years since Waldorf's bankruptcy in 2004.

I'm one the first buyers of the P-12 and even if I'd buy an OB-6 desktop if I had the money, the P-12 still remains the most jubilatory synth I've ever touched. I particulary like to split it, playing a deep unison bass with my left hand and chords with my right hand, like on this track  :)

https://thedisease.bandcamp.com/track/dusk
Great vibe, and thank you since you are an early P12 owner.

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »
We know that DSI is not particularly fan of creating Rev2 of their existing synths but they did it with the P08 which is now the Rev2.

With the development of the new filter for the Prophet X, the effect section (P X, Rev2), the sequencer (P X, Rev 2, Pro 2) and the complain from users about the P12 filters, maybe (it is only a maybe...) that we can expect a Prophet 12 with those enhancements (new filter, effects, sequencer, superwaves...) in 2020 (I guess that 2019 will be the Prophet X module year).

And if not, they have for sure plenty of other nice ideas for poly synths ;)
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 06:36:45 AM »
Don't wait, buy one now :)

I've had my Prophet 12 for all of three hours now.

I deliberated for months. I couldn't decide between a Rev 2 or the Prophet 12. Here in Australia these instruments are not cheap, the prices just went up and the exchange rate is not good. This was not an easy decision to make....

I also  read lots of forums that said the Prophet 12 sounds terrible. However there are an equal number of forums that said it was outstanding.

A couple of You Tube demos convinced me.....

Now I have one, and I wish I had bought it years ago :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2018, 07:39:45 AM »
I also  read lots of forums that said the Prophet 12 sounds terrible.

I fell for that as well, but found the exact opposite to be the case.  Never again will I judge an instrument by what others say about it, by what they do with it, or by what they claim they can't do with it.

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 08:17:12 AM »
I also  read lots of forums that said the Prophet 12 sounds terrible.

I fell for that as well, but found the exact opposite to be the case.  Never again will I judge an instrument by what others say about it, by what they do with it, or by what they claim they can't do with it.

It definitely took me a while to find the sweet spots, and longer to embrace the non-sweet spots as I got past my preconceptions from using 80s-era polys. The biggest problem for me now is that its depth of modulation has kind of ruined me for other instruments with more conventional architectures. I've now had to re-re-adjust my thinking when it comes to them.  ;)
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 08:28:52 AM »
It definitely took me a while to find the sweet spots, and longer to embrace the non-sweet spots as I got past my preconceptions from using 80s-era polys. The biggest problem for me now is that its depth of modulation has kind of ruined me for other instruments with more conventional architectures. I've now had to re-re-adjust my thinking when it comes to them.  ;)

I know what you mean.  We've been spoiled by the selection of fabulous instruments DSI offers.  I cannot imagine using a synthesizer with fewer than four LFO's.  Even my simplest patches usually require two to three. 

This is a problem only if you want to continue buying new instruments.  But there's also the unpopular option of keeping the instruments that work best for you for years to come.  I mean, if only a Prophet 12 suffices for you, then keep it for a decade or more.  End of problem.

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
i bought a P12 when it came out, thought it is good but could not get the sounds right,
later sold it and now bought one again, mostly because i kept on seeing acts i like using it (like WARPAINT ).
Strangely i now am able to get much better from it, and i have to say it is just one very special synth.
It covers a lot, including fantastic dirty, digital, hybrid modern tones. Maybe it was even head of it's time,
at least for me ;) So still valid in 2019? Yep. and in 2028 it still will be a classic.

Good one !

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2018, 04:43:43 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback. I love reading them all.

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »
I had a feeling...

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2019, 05:57:19 AM »
Maybe people that don’t like the sound don’t have Prophet 12 and base their opinions on digital media, and people that love the P12 are people really using it.
From what I read this is what it seems to me.
Do you feel the same?

I’m almost buying a P12 now but I’m not sure if I’ll wait for NAMM2019...