Buying a P12 in 2018/2019 and other small questions.

Buying a P12 in 2018/2019 and other small questions.
« on: April 04, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »
The possibilities of this amazing tool won't change of course. After listening to many demos of various synths (Matrixbrute, Peak, DSI REV2, Behringer clone) on Youtube (the Auratone 5C of 21st century) I kept getting back to the P12. I am not in a hurry to buy one, but since the P12 has been on the market for a while do you think DSI could do a rev.2 or is it too soon? No one knows but DSI of course, but it is fun to ask.
For the few who own both the keyboard and the module, how slower is it to go around the desktop UI? The module seems very easy. It is cheaper and a space saver. I won't be doing any live stage, just studio/writing producing with my daw.
One more question: can you turn off the blinking LED of the tap tempo?
Thank you.

Re: Buying a P12 in 2018/2019 and other small questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 02:58:38 PM »
For the few who own both the keyboard and the module, how slower is it to go around the desktop UI? The module seems very easy. It is cheaper and a space saver. I won't be doing any live stage, just studio/writing producing with my daw.
Thank you.

The desktop UI is fairly quick, though it's worth pointing out that you still fall back to the menu-driven interface even when using the keyboard.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:01:27 PM »
We're not in the habit of making rev 2 synths, so no, there will not be a P12 rev 2. It took 10 years to do a Prophet '08 rev 2 so you have a ways to go on that one ;-)

You cannot turn off the tempo LED.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 04:03:29 PM »
Thank you.

The desktop UI is fairly quick, though it's worth pointing out that you still fall back to the menu-driven interface even when using the keyboard.
Thank you.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 04:09:00 PM »
We're not in the habit of making rev 2 synths, so no, there will not be a P12 rev 2. It took 10 years to do a Prophet '08 rev 2 so you have a ways to go on that one ;-)

You cannot turn off the tempo LED.
Good to know.
A red cap from a Coke bottle could hide it, if it gets annoying. No biggie :)
Thank you.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »
I have a p-12 module, which I use primarily in the studio.  The setup is very user friendly and intuitive.  No deep menu dives.  I use an 88 key Yamaha as the controller generally.  If I need the ribbon function, I have a Pro-2 which I use as the controller, but the Yamaha does most of the heavy lifting. 

Overall, I really recommend the P-12M.  I think you'll like it.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:58:27 PM »
I have a p-12 module, which I use primarily in the studio.  The setup is very user friendly and intuitive.  No deep menu dives.  I use an 88 key Yamaha as the controller generally.  If I need the ribbon function, I have a Pro-2 which I use as the controller, but the Yamaha does most of the heavy lifting. 

Overall, I really recommend the P-12M.  I think you'll like it.
Funny enough I'll be using an old ES8 as a controller :)
The ribbon functions, can they be reassigned to the pedals or any CC?

Thank you all. Not much else on the market in 2018 for me beside the P12M.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 09:25:39 PM »
You will love the P-12M with the ES8!  My Yamaha is a 1st gen S-90 built in 2004 - same era and guts as your ES8.  The keyboard that Yamaha put in those instruments has largely been unsurpassed.  The only one I have found as an equal is the new Montage.  Yamaha and P-12 make a formidable combination!  You will find that connecting that keyboard to a modern synth or the high end soft instruments (E.g., EastWest Pianos) makes an unbeatable combination.  A piano player's dream.

I haven't done it, but I'm pretty sure the ribbon functions can be reassigned.  You have a ribbon on your ES8, right?  I doubt that you will ever need the second ribbon.  Anything I program on the P-12 is usually limited to one ribbon (if I use one at all).

Please let us know if you decide to buy one.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 01:57:20 AM »
All the expression controls on the P12 are interchangeable I route voice changing parameters out to 2 expression pedals, both ribbons, wheels, aftertouch.

My need is for great flexibility of timbre whilst playing so I write voices to exploit the controls - as an example I often access some combination of distortions using pressure on a ribbon, but I could send the same effect to the mod wheel or anywhere else.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 06:17:11 PM »
You will love the P-12M with the ES8!  My Yamaha is a 1st gen S-90 built in 2004 - same era and guts as your ES8.  The keyboard that Yamaha put in those instruments has largely been unsurpassed.  The only one I have found as an equal is the new Montage.  Yamaha and P-12 make a formidable combination!  You will find that connecting that keyboard to a modern synth or the high end soft instruments (E.g., EastWest Pianos) makes an unbeatable combination.  A piano player's dream.

I haven't done it, but I'm pretty sure the ribbon functions can be reassigned.  You have a ribbon on your ES8, right?  I doubt that you will ever need the second ribbon.  Anything I program on the P-12 is usually limited to one ribbon (if I use one at all).

Please let us know if you decide to buy one.
I already decided to get it this year  :)

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 07:01:23 AM »
Personally I'm waiting to see what DSI come up with next. If it is a digital (Prophet 12) or even partly digital (Poly Evolver) based synth then I'll go for that. I'm not pulling the trigger on the Prophet 12 for fear that something better and possibly less expensive will come along.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 10:59:59 AM »
Personally I'm waiting to see what DSI come up with next. If it is a digital (Prophet 12) or even partly digital (Poly Evolver) based synth then I'll go for that. I'm not pulling the trigger on the Prophet 12 for fear that something better and possibly less expensive will come along.
I don't know about "better" but there will be something new coming for sure. Always. That's the fun part. I mean as long as we are alive and OK good health, fear does not matter.
About 1 month ago I started to scan the web, everything I could read and hear about the Prophet 12 since it was available. I stumbled upon a comment on Synthtopia back in 2013. That stupid nickname sounded familiar. The dude really liked the look, the sound and everything about the Prophet 12. I thought about it for a few seconds... and realized it was my own comment.

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 11:24:50 AM »
I don't know about "better" but there will be something new coming for sure. Always. That's the fun part. I mean as long as we are alive and OK good health, fear does not matter.
About 1 month ago I started to scan the web, everything I could read and hear about the Prophet 12 since it was available. I stumbled upon a comment on Synthtopia back in 2013. That stupid nickname sounded familiar. The dude really liked the look, the sound and everything about the Prophet 12. I thought about it for a few seconds... and realized it was my own comment.

Well when I say better I mean IMPROVED. Be it more wavetables (especially the VS waves which were oddly absent), sampling, multitimbrality, on board sequencer, dual on board effects. 

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 02:48:15 PM »

Well when I say better I mean IMPROVED. Be it more wavetables (especially the VS waves which were oddly absent), sampling, multitimbrality, on board sequencer, dual on board effects.
A concept they could do (inspired by my WS A/D): A Prophet 12.2. A P12 with 2 built in VCOs you could mix or not (separate 2 IN/2 OUT option?) with the rest of the digital oscillators. You could split the keyboard half and half or go mono analog uber monster. The arpeggiator could move from the waves to the VCOs.

P12 + 2 Prophet 6's VCOs. The Prophet 12.2 8)

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 04:33:58 PM »

A concept they could do (inspired by my WS A/D): A Prophet 12.2. A P12 with 2 built in VCOs you could mix or not (separate 2 IN/2 OUT option?) with the rest of the digital oscillators. You could split the keyboard half and half or go mono analog uber monster. The arpeggiator could move from the waves to the VCOs.

P12 + 2 Prophet 6's VCOs. The Prophet 12.2 8)

As long as they offer a dual manual option ;)

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 05:17:46 PM »
The Prophet 12 is a phenomenal synth, I think you'll be waiting a while for DSI to significantly better it.

I can understand perhaps waiting if you're thinking of buying new, but P12's turn up online every now and then MUCH cheaper than they are new, so why not buy second hand instead?

If you're waiting on a 'P12 killer' who knows how long you'll be waiting?

Much better to get P12 now IMO and if you buy it second hand the risk of losing big money on the purchase if a new P12 killer does eventually arrive is significantly reduced. :)

The P12 keyboard is a beautiful synth and I can't recommend it highly enough - get one now! :)

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 10:58:22 PM »
Agree totally with the above comment.

Only thing I regret about getting a P12 is that I didn’t get the keyboard version. Not that the module isn’t superb and very well thought out, but the keyboard is just gorgeous.

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 09:44:07 AM »
The Prophet 12 is a phenomenal synth, I think you'll be waiting a while for DSI to significantly better it.

I can understand perhaps waiting if you're thinking of buying new, but P12's turn up online every now and then MUCH cheaper than they are new, so why not buy second hand instead?

If you're waiting on a 'P12 killer' who knows how long you'll be waiting?

Much better to get P12 now IMO and if you buy it second hand the risk of losing big money on the purchase if a new P12 killer does eventually arrive is significantly reduced. :)

The P12 keyboard is a beautiful synth and I can't recommend it highly enough - get one now! :)
I'll keep that in mind regarding the keyboard version. You are not the only one, P12M owner, who've said the same thing.  :)

Thank you all! 8)

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »
A little follow up question.
Can the Prophet 12K give me all the Pro 2 can produce? I am not including the polyphony or the sequencer, etc, any obvious  differences. I will be multitracking my sounds, mixing, using plugins, FX, etc. I am asking because some people have both. I missed that detail at first and now I wonder why owning both.
To my ears the Pro 2 sounds a bit more bass focused, and the overall color is not the same, but I could be wrong.

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »

Sulque,  The best I can answer is that I have both because I got them at totally different times and for different reasons.    Comparing them despite their differences is difficult if we eliminate the two main points of polyphony and sequencer that you mentioned. 

Their similarity to me is the oscillators engine, the delays, mod matrix.   The raw wave sounds on each are exactly the same sounding to me.  But perhaps that brings up a need for a 6 string versus 12 string guitar analogy.  Which do you want?  or should I say, which makes most sense for you?

I love my Pro2.  Somewhere in the Pro 2 forum there's a topic about being frozen creatively when sitting down in front of it- because its very deep....and other reasons we pondered.     I don't sense that issue because the sequencer is such a huge part of it and that is the reason I have that instrument.  So I think its more of reaching for the right instrument at the time of your inspiration.   If Pro 2 it did not have the sequencer feature then the p12 would be my obvious choice.   Totally just my opinion... but I can see where like a Pro 2 would be suited for the dance music/techno type thing, and modular controller,  where as the film composer would want to go for the P12.  Both could be used vise-versa to some degree,  though I think P12 would have the edge in most circumstances.

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1