Anyone else feeling a bit let down by latest firmware update ?

We have a new beta firmware upgrade, woohoo !  ;D

After updating and performing the power cycling, Globals reset, calibration, I discover that the only change is a new Main Balance parameter to attempt to correct a panning VCA inconsistency (probably a hardware design flaw to begin with) and some mysterious "voice stability improvements" (what was so unstable with the voices anyway) ?

No added unified LFO mode, no added confirmation request before changing a patch by accidentally touching the Program knob (losing hours of editing work in a fraction of a second), and some bugs are still present like the Tempo LED freezing sometimes and/or not flashing at the right speed at all when in slave clock mode, and others I'm sure...

A little disappointing if you ask me.  ???
Maybe it's a temporary beta before a more in depth rework ? Let's hope so.

BTW, that new Main Balance feature is not consistent either: 8 of the voices are balanced equally (perfectly centered) whilst the 8 others are "leaning" to the left when the new Main Balance parameter is set to about -6. If it's set to 0, the first 8 voices are very slightly panned right whilst the 8 other ones are centered. If I set it to -3 (halfway between 0 and -6) the first 8 voices are panned very slightly left and the next 8 ones are slightly panned right. There's no way to get all 16 voices perfectly centered with that new parameter (at least on my unit).

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Re: Anyone else feeling a bit let down by latest firmware update ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:41:59 PM »
<crickets>

No one wants to anger the DSI gods, for thou shall be smited! Hehe

But seriously, things kinda happen when they happen; if you can be here now when “then” is now, you’ll remember what you learned to forget...

jg666

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 03:38:33 AM »
To be honest I think that most synth manufacturers are the same and I think that DSI are on the better side of average for firmware updates :) At the moment I have nothing happening with my Rev2 that I would consider a major annoyance or flaw (fingers crossed!)

For example I know that many people including myself have moaned since day 1 that the Moog Sub 37 doesn't display the BPM rate and still nothing has been done about that. Unless you're syncing to another instrument you virtually have to guess the rate. I consider that as a major flaw although others probably disagree with me!
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 07:28:19 AM »
Meh, I've given up on firmware updates or added features. I just learned to accept the synths, warts and all. It's annoying but just have to find a way around things.

mdts

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 07:55:22 AM »
I think by now I have to be dreaming to expect additional improvements to the software or even new features. It's been almost half a year since I have the synth (and just 2 firmware updates) and they still didn't address the distortion FX corrupting patches when browsing, so at least I'm not getting any hopes up.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
They must have all hands on development of PEK8 MPE

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

jg666

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »

Excuse my ignorance but what is that?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 10:28:20 AM »

Excuse my ignorance but what is that?

My guess is a Poly Evolver Keyboard 8 voice with MIDI Polyphonic Expression capability ?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 11:28:08 AM »
I think by now I have to be dreaming to expect additional improvements to the software or even new features. It's been almost half a year since I have the synth (and just 2 firmware updates) and they still didn't address the distortion FX corrupting patches when browsing, so at least I'm not getting any hopes up.

For me it's just the sequencer not being able to transpose without holding down the record button. That's all I wanted since the Prophet 6...and the OB6 and REV2 still have the same awkward limitation. I'd rather not have to use tape to hold the button down to transpose with my left hand while I do a lead on another synth.

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »

Don't joke. Gets people's hopes up.

Personally I'd call it the Sequential Waves or Sequential MPEvolver

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »

It sounds great, but we've only dreamed this into being.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but what are the reasons for hoping DSI is making such an instrument?

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 01:12:33 PM »

I'm trying to will it into being!!!    I love my Rev2, but the PEK is still the crown jewel of my setup, despite some lingering issues and areas for improvement...  The stereo voice architecture and the hybrid oscillator setup is just amazing.   

I'd love a bit more poly.  I'd love to see a second LP filter added (ladder).  Maybe a few more effects options with modulation routing, like the Rev.  And MPE would truly set it apart and be cutting edge... not really expecting MPE in their next synth, but one can wish.  Dave has always been a pioneer... plus, with Roger Linn as a friend, I could see it possibly happening.     

It just seems like the low and mid range analog synth market is completely flooded now.  The best segment for DSI seems to be the high end / cutting edge.

Sound Sets:
Free Patches:

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 04:37:56 PM »

I'm trying to will it into being!!!    I love my Rev2, but the PEK is still the crown jewel of my setup, despite some lingering issues and areas for improvement...  The stereo voice architecture and the hybrid oscillator setup is just amazing.   

I'd love a bit more poly.  I'd love to see a second LP filter added (ladder).  Maybe a few more effects options with modulation routing, like the Rev.  And MPE would truly set it apart and be cutting edge... not really expecting MPE in their next synth, but one can wish.  Dave has always been a pioneer... plus, with Roger Linn as a friend, I could see it possibly happening.     

It just seems like the low and mid range analog synth market is completely flooded now.  The best segment for DSI seems to be the high end / cutting edge.

I think the best thing for DSI to do is focus on something other than analog oscillators. Wavetables which possibly feature sampling. Add a ribbon controller and on board analog chorus and make it blue! Paul Dither I believe designed this concept and I’ve been attracted to it ever since...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »
I admit, a rejuvenated Evolver does seem like the right choice at the moment.  And DSI could clean Korg's clock with such an instrument.  Which is to say, no one has the hybrid brains like Dave Smith and his team.  Plus, the past several instruments seem to have covered all the analog bases.  What's left, except a venture somewhat into digital territory, and in a way different from the P12 venture?

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 09:23:53 PM »

I think the best thing for DSI to do is focus on something other than analog oscillators. Wavetables which possibly feature sampling. Add a ribbon controller and on board analog chorus and make it blue! Paul Dither I believe designed this concept and I’ve been attracted to it ever since...

I like the look of the mockup!   The hybrid analog with digital wavetables from the Evolver line give them a ton of versatility.  Expanding upon that with easy sampling and granular manipulation would be an awesome direction.   I guess I'm just hoping DSI will go for another high end flagship synth for their next offering...   I like that Waldorf is pushing the envelope with their new Quantum... just want to see DSIs next generation. 

Sound Sets:
Free Patches:

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 10:07:16 PM »
I admit, a rejuvenated Evolver does seem like the right choice at the moment.  And DSI could clean Korg's clock with such an instrument.  Which is to say, no one has the hybrid brains like Dave Smith and his team.  Plus, the past several instruments seem to have covered all the analog bases.  What's left, except a venture somewhat into digital territory, and in a way different from the P12 venture?

I think the only thing left they can do in the analog realm really is multitimbrality.

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
I think there's plenty more scope just refining existing synth lines tbh.
A Prophet 12 with 16 voices would do me - call it a Prophet 16! :)
Or better yet do a 4 oscillator synth using 2 dsp oscillators as on the P12 and 2 analogue oscillators as on Rev2 - a perfect hybrid synth! :)
More LFO's would be good too.
I know 4 LFO's is generous by most standards but dammit I need more - 6 LFO's would be perfect! :)
More polyphony would be my primary wish though.
It's no coincidence that the two DSI synths I own are their most polyphonic (Prophet 12 & Rev2) and I'd probably have considered adding  a OB6 if it had more polyphony - 6 just isn't enough for me (hence me struggling sometimes on the P12 with stacked patches).
So whatever they do as long as it has plenty of polyphony I'll probably be getting it! :)

mdts

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
Kinda funny how the discussion switched to wishing for new synths, some of you are really optimistic :).

To be honest for me after the Rev2 experience with dissapointing updates and bugs still present for so long wanting another DSI synth is not at all on my list.

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
I wasn't even expecting another update...So this is kind of nice. Haven't installed it yet but I have some free time over the next 2 days. Thanks DSI!
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 02:59:25 AM »
Hi Alain,

yes, I also feel a bit let down by latest firmware update.

DSI doesn't do their homework!

Here my little list of annoying flaws:

1. Hold and Relatch (very important) on arp of layer B doesn't work. So arp of layer B is useless, because you cannot switch chords without a break.

2. No category or catalogue function of patches. There are thousands. Ridiculous that there is no category function.

3. Senseless function of hold button as a simple sustain on/off switch. Also ridiculous, because you can't use this in playing. Don't know what they thought about that.

4. No Unison mode with polyphony. Ridiculous, eg. if you use unison with 2 voices all other 14 voices fall asleep.

5. Sequencer cannot be transposed by a single keystroke. Why must I say again ridiculous and unprofessional? Because transposition by key is the central function of a sequencer for ages!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:01:30 AM by SynthPlayer »