Tempest and Logic Work Flow

Tempest and Logic Work Flow
« on: April 03, 2018, 05:51:00 AM »
Hello, I'm new to using the Tempest and trying to figure out the best workflow for incorporating Tempest into my set up.

I have an EP mostly recorded in logic using live guitar, bass, keys, drums, and I want to incorporate Tempest into some of these recordings and take advantage of some of the performance aspects of the Tempest as well.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to sync Tempest sequencer with Logic's sequencer, and use Tempest internal sequencer/quantization to map out a single long beat throughout the song I already have recorded in Logic, and then record a performances of that beat using audio outputs and MIDI into Logic. I am under the impression that transporting MIDI from beats/sequencer from Tempest to Logic is not possible, but  I am wondering whether there is a workaround here or if I have to sequence everything in Logic?

Furthermore, I'd be interested in hearing how other people incorporate Tempest into their DAW (preferably Logic) based set up.

Thank you.

RobH

Re: Tempest and Logic Work Flow
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 06:08:37 AM »
Hello, I'm new to using the Tempest and trying to figure out the best workflow for incorporating Tempest into my set up.

I have an EP mostly recorded in logic using live guitar, bass, keys, drums, and I want to incorporate Tempest into some of these recordings and take advantage of some of the performance aspects of the Tempest as well.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to sync Tempest sequencer with Logic's sequencer, and use Tempest internal sequencer/quantization to map out a single long beat throughout the song I already have recorded in Logic, and then record a performances of that beat using audio outputs and MIDI into Logic. I am under the impression that transporting MIDI from beats/sequencer from Tempest to Logic is not possible, but  I am wondering whether there is a workaround here or if I have to sequence everything in Logic?

Furthermore, I'd be interested in hearing how other people incorporate Tempest into their DAW (preferably Logic) based set up.

Thank you.

You can send one pads sequencer information at a time from the Tempest > Midi Out(Logic). So you could not send a full beat at once, however, a workaround is sending one drums sequencer at a time one by one.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:32:18 PM »
Connect the midi out from your computer to the midi in of your tempest.

Set your Tempest as slave, and make it listen to lets say midi channel 1.

Choose what pad/sound you want your daw to control.

Make you daw force the tempest to play, stop and follow the exact same non at the exact same time as your daw. I'm not at my computer now. But I was actually going to make a video about this.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »
You can send one pads sequencer information at a time from the Tempest > Midi Out(Logic). So you could not send a full beat at once, however, a workaround is sending one drums sequencer at a time one by one.

That seems so tedious! Do you find a huge advantage of sequencing in Tempest over your DAW?

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 10:30:37 AM »
Connect the midi out from your computer to the midi in of your tempest.

Set your Tempest as slave, and make it listen to lets say midi channel 1.

Choose what pad/sound you want your daw to control.

Make you daw force the tempest to play, stop and follow the exact same non at the exact same time as your daw. I'm not at my computer now. But I was actually going to make a video about this.

I would love to see a video on this - I found one on Logic, but I really couldn't follow it or get it to work. I'd love to have a situation where I can match the sequencer in Tempest to my LPX timeline and do a lot of sequencing work in Tempest, but for that to work, it would absolutely require something like this where Tempest plays at same time as my DAW.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 07:10:56 AM »
You can get Logic and the Tempest to play nice like this but it requires some thought. The main thing is to make sure your Logic timeline is consistent with what you have going on on your Tempest, ie if you have an eight bar loop sequenced on your Tempest then it needs to start in the DAW on a multiple of 8 + 1 (e.g. 1, 9, 17 etc) otherwise things will go out of sync.

Other option is to try and get Logic not to send song position info at all (I've had the best results here using the first option in Logic's MIDI sync project options 'quantized clock start based on pattern length') but it's a bit of a black art I'm afraid. There's not an option to get the Tempest to ignore song position pointer (SPP) and it's a difficult thing to filter out.

Of course you could do all your sequencing in the DAW and avoid sync issues but then you can't use the FX sliders, plus personally I prefer sequencing on the Tempest generally.

Also think about sequencing on the Tempest but use the DAW to change beats (remote pad play set to 'beats' on the T). This can work pretty well if you have beat change set to 'immediate' on the T.

I've tried it every which way and they all have their pros and cons depending on the project. I just keep telling myself it's part of the 'joy of analogue'. The Tempest is a flawed diamond unfortunately. Logic is not without its issues either!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher