MIDI issues on my '08?

MIDI issues on my '08?
« on: March 28, 2018, 07:09:33 PM »
Hello All,

Just picked up a used '08, and everything has been fine with it except I can't get MIDI to work.  Here are a few bits of info about my setup, as well as a few things I've tried.

Setup:
- Prophet '08 keyboard
- connected via USB midi interface (Fore)
- to Mac OS 10.12
- have tried it with both Logic and SoundTower (soundtower setup doesn't even show it can connect to '08)

Things I've tried:
- the midi interface is also new, so have tried it with another keyboard to my computer + logic, which worked fine
- instead of my computer, I tried hooking '08 up to my ipad as well. no luck there either.
- have looked at global settings on '08 and everything appears fine
- to be safe, I also reset the '08 global parameters with Global + LFO3. still no luck.

Any ideas?  I'm not sure what else to try on it.  The keyboard itself is in excellent shape, and I've tested everything else on it with no issues. Except this MIDI thing, which I just can't figure out...  Please let me know if any other options come to mind before I check in with DSI support.

Thanks in advance!
David

Re: MIDI issues on my '08?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 01:49:48 AM »
Moinmoin,

the MIDI-interface of Your P'08 could be dead, which would be a hardware issue requiring a new main board. :'(

But before You think about that, what do You mean by "everything appears fine" regarding P'08 global settings? Try to be more specific as many settings are involved: (paper-)Pages 7 to 9 of P'08 user manual are about P'08 (menu-)pages 2 - 6, which all have to be set accordingly.
Excuse me if I bore You with the following, but the word appears does raise some suspicion... ::)

Do systematic tests, start by the following and in the given order:
  • Set MIDI to receive (MIDI channel = ALL @ P'08) and send (setting @ Your Apple) on all channels.
  • If this did not help, additionally change the Parameter send and receive settings in P'08 global settings.
  • If this did not help, go on with P'08 MIDI program and MIDI control settings. (also Clock, Pressure, and SysEx, if You will use them)
  • If this did not help, connect a second device via P'08 MIDI Trough (via the "classical" DIN-connection at P'08) to test if at least that works.
"MIDI Implementation" (P'08 user manual page 39, 40) will tell You how it should work.
Return to here with the result(s).

If You are able to read and understand MIDI-messages, You could additionally do the following:
  • Logic allows You to log all sent and received MIDI-commands, compare that with the information given in P'08 user manual pages 40+.
Even if systematic debugging will not cure the error, it will at least show its reason and let You talk more precise to DSI technical stuff.

HTH

Martin
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:51:24 AM by MartinM »

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:30:28 AM »
Another thing you can try is to do a global reset of the instrument back to the factory defaults.   You do this by holding the [Global] switch and pressing [LFO 3].  Everything will go back to factory defaults.  If MIDI still is not working after the reset, then it probably is a hardware issue.   Also, make sure all your cables are good.

Finally, in the global parameters, make sure that the MIDI cable type is set to USB.  If it is set to MIDI, the P08 will not transmit/receive on the USB.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:08:36 AM »
MartinM,

Thanks for the feedback and troubleshooting tips.  Just to clarify a couple of other things I tried (which you also mentioned):

- I did check to make sure both the prophet and logic were communicating on "all" channels. I have not yet tried specifically trying a single channel (like 1), but I will do that when I get home.
- When I said everything appears fine, that was the general operation of the other surface controls and adjusting synth parameters; synthesis is all fine so far. But for global parameters I did check some other items there. Had to change clock to Internal, and also made sure all MIDI options were "On"
- I am also borrowing an additional midi cable so I can try your suggestion of coming from another device to Thru on the prophet (and just In, while I'm at it).

Again, thanks for your suggestions, this gives me a couple of other things to test!

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 02:58:41 PM »
Just a follow-up:

I tried some more tests when I got home, based on MartinM's suggestions; still no luck. After that I went ahead and contacted DSI, and they had me try a couple more quick things, also with no luck. The big tell was just not getting incoming info from sysex and midi utilities... So it's being sent in for some outpatient surgery.

A bummer that it's a hardware thing that needs to be sent in, but I'm once again very grateful for not only being able to get some feedback here in the forum (even when I'm just lurking and searching for archived posts) but also for DSI's prompt and generous support. It really is a big deciding factor for me between having a DSI product versus one of the other options!

David

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 01:00:01 AM »
Moin David,

hope Ypiz P'08 will be working soon!
I second Your opinion (and experience so far) regarding DSI support: It is really great. Two
minor questions/issues I had when I got ma P'08 were answered very fast and helpfully.

@Jim: The P'08 does not feature a USB-MIDI, does it?

Martin

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:02:14 PM »
Martin,

You're right.  The P-08 does not have USB.  I saw mention of USB in the initial post, and transposed a little P-12 stuff onto it.  Sorry for the miscommunication.

Jim
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.