Changing patches while playing live

4dubs

Changing patches while playing live
« on: March 28, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »
Just curious if anyone is experiencing the same issue I am and how they might be addressing it . . .

I use the REV2 live.  Great instrument, but my one complaint is having to use the program encoder for patch changes.  It's pretty unreliable.  I save my patches in the order they appear in the set list, so theoretically, I just need to turn the encoder one click to go to the next patch . . . but I find that it will jump values . . . not always, but often enough that it's an issue for live performance.  If only DSI had just added two simple buttons to increment/decrement values, I'd have no issues at all.

I realize I can add something like a Tech 21 Midi Mouse to handle program changes, but they're not exactly cheap for such a simple job.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Is there another approach to this I might not be thinking of?  If anyone from DSI happens to see this post, it would be great if a future OS revision would allow us to assign one of the foot switch inputs to step through programs.

DSI:  Prophet 6, Rev 2 16v, Pro 2, OB6
Other:  Moog One 8v, Model D reissue, Voyager, Sub 37, Nord Stage 2 SW73, Behringer Mono/Poly & 2600, Studiologic Sledge Black, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium desktop & STVC, Mellotron Micro, Modal Cobalt 8X, Expresive E Osmose

Re: Changing patches while playing live
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »
On the foot pedal side, you can use a MIDI foot pedal or MIDI foot controller to change programs.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

4dubs

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 08:30:44 PM »
Yes, I'm aware that a MIDI pedal or controller could address this, which is why I mentioned the Tech 21 MIDI Mouse.  But those are around $100 . . . a pricey solution for something seemingly so basic.

Another workaround is to simply program different patches on the separate layers and use the "edit layer B" button as a fast and reliable means to switch patches mid-song . . . but most of my patches for this project are layers and splits using both engines, so that's usually not an option for me.

Thanks for the response.  Might there be any possibility of adding a menu option for program increment via momentary switch in a future OS revision?  Not holding you to it, of course, but just curious if that's even possible with the existing pedal jacks?
Other:  Moog One 8v, Model D reissue, Voyager, Sub 37, Nord Stage 2 SW73, Behringer Mono/Poly & 2600, Studiologic Sledge Black, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium desktop & STVC, Mellotron Micro, Modal Cobalt 8X, Expresive E Osmose

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 11:58:39 PM »
There's another thread about this where the solution relies on https://midipadapp.com/. Not tested yet but it allows you to send program changes from an iOs app through the USB port. Probably the cheapest solution if you own an iOs device. Pretty sure there are apps on Android too.

4dubs

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 09:22:37 AM »
Thanks for the info.  That looks like a cool app.  Over the last 24 hours, I've kinda come to the conclusion that I'm going to use a Keith McMillen K-Mix to mix the various keyboards I use onstage.  Assuming I pick up the optional MIDI breakout box that they offer, I would imagine I should be able to use the K-Mix to send program changes when need be.

Thanks again for the responses.

joesh

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »
You could try using something like Reaper and change each song with the patch changes?

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 08:57:41 PM »
Might there be any possibility of adding a menu option for program increment via momentary switch in a future OS revision?  Not holding you to it, of course, but just curious if that's even possible with the existing pedal jacks?

I don't own a Rev2 yet, but I've looked thru the manual.  Am I reading correctly that the option to assign a foot switch to patch change is not already a menu option?  That's quite surprising if true.  I intend to use my Rev2 live as well.
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

4dubs

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 09:15:21 AM »
I don't own a Rev2 yet, but I've looked thru the manual.  Am I reading correctly that the option to assign a foot switch to patch change is not already a menu option?  That's quite surprising if true.  I intend to use my Rev2 live as well.
[/quote]

Unless I'm completely missing something, that's correct . . . no way to change patches with a standard (non-MIDI, in other words) foot switch.  The current foot switch inputs are dedicated to sustain and start/stop of the sequencer.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 02:18:22 PM »
I have been looking for a simple way to select program changes over midi, came across this post and the reference to the MidiPad 2 app. I installed this on my iPad, connected to the Rev 2 midi using a Yamaha midi blu tooth adapter, set the Midipad app up to select a set of my favourite patches and it works a treat. It's so simple to set up and with the app costing £2.99, opposed to the cost of using the Midi mouse controller option, it's  certainly worth looking at.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 05:24:53 PM »
Looks like Behringer fc1010 is a cheap dedicated hardware switched too, and it has twofeeely assignable expression pedals (eg cutoff on a foot pedal!)

joesh

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 02:41:01 AM »
Yes, an odd quirk really and a bit of a faux pas on DS's side of things. There's several small things that could have made this into a even better synth. A couple of buttons to be able to change up/down in the programs would have been perfect, you'd have just hit load at the right point to sync into the next program - especially if you're making multiple sequences on neighbouring programs.

Actually, if they'd done something with the parameter button that could have been a solution. Scroll to next program and then hit the button and it loads to that pattern/sequence/bank.

joesh

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 06:01:07 AM »
Isn't there someway you can simple send a midi message from a laptop? I haven't looked into it, but either Pure Data, or Supercollider could do the job. However, there must be some custom build apps just ready to download onto computers, surely?

kris

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 06:33:38 AM »
Isn't there someway you can simple send a midi message from a laptop? I haven't looked into it, but either Pure Data, or Supercollider could do the job. However, there must be some custom build apps just ready to download onto computers, surely?
That'll be easy to do - but do you have a computer in a live setup? In the Studio, I use the Knobkraft Orm I made to just send patches from the computer, but in a live setup isn't a pedal sending program change more useful?
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 09:34:31 AM »
This is the main ‘problem’ with the Rev2 for me - scrolling through presets live is a pain and I avoid it - in fact I didn’t use it live until I found a satisfactory solution...

After much searching, and even considering trying to build a controller myself (::)), I found an iOS app called MIDI Macros.

You can set up buttons to transmit program changes, or other messages, and for me it works really well.

Runs on iPhone with Prophet attached through USB directly to Apple camera kit for MIDI comms. I also use a USB hub and control a Zoom MS70CDR pedal, which also receives program changes (lovely with Rev2, but very noisey when mains powered). MIDI Macros sees both the Rev2 and Zoom as separate MIDI interfaces, and will send different commands/programs to each.

I’ve not found a way of doing program + or -, so each button sends a specific program change, which works for me.

I’m trying to attach a photo showing it setup, but it won’t so you’ll all just have to believe me!!

Andy

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 06:39:32 AM »
Just came across this post while looking for how to write program change cc messages for the Rev 2. You guys might be interested to know that the novation launchpads can be custom set to have individual buttons send program change numbers and all sorts of messages for live gear setups. Ill be setting mine up to have a row of 8 buttons for for 3 of my synth to make switching between patches really easy.
You can audition it to see if useful to you here. https://components.novationmusic.com/

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 02:01:00 PM »
Just came across this post while looking for how to write program change cc messages for the Rev 2. You guys might be interested to know that the novation launchpads can be custom set to have individual buttons send program change numbers and all sorts of messages for live gear setups. Ill be setting mine up to have a row of 8 buttons for for 3 of my synth to make switching between patches really easy.
You can audition it to see if useful to you here. https://components.novationmusic.com/

:) I think it's a good advice to use such a Novation device. Which one are you using ?
Bru-Ko

Rev2 sequencer (nb of steps)
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 01:15:24 PM »
Hello,
I've made a polyphonic sequence of 24 steps in layer A sequencer. It seems to run all the 64 steps before it comes back to the beginning. Is there a way to shorten the loop or is it mandatory to fill all the 64 steps with notes ?
Thanks for your help !
Bru-Ko