Just discovered a cool trick

Just discovered a cool trick
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »
I'm having a lot of fun with this.

I've made a sort of sound on sound looper on the REV2 with an LFO. It behaves drastically different than a delay with infinite feedback or anything you can achieve with the sequencer. I've found it very musical.

From INIT patch.

-Set LFO to Cutoff Freq and turn Cutoff Freq about halfway down.
-Set LFO to a Reverse Sawtooth wave with full amount and very slow Speed. Turn on Key Sync for the LFO.
-Turn on Hold and press a note. The sawtooth will fade it out and it will cycle through again and again

The LFO Speed serves as the loop length while your cuttoff knob (and LFO AMT) serve as a sort of gate for the note lengths. Turn OFF/ON Hold to reset the loop.

You're also still at the mercy of your voice limit ( 16 or 8 ) which is actually a great thing in the situation!

Tons of cool things to do with this. Experiment with sprinkling in a quick run of lead notes followed by a a couple of presses of a chord to end up canceling out the lead stuff (due to voices) and only looping chords. Since your voice count is predictable, you can basically count on certain notes dropping out at certain times and use this to your advantage in many creative ways. Make a simple stacked patch if you want to halve your voices!

If you guys dig this, make something with it and link it here!

E: I made my own example. Really just showing the effect. I didn't do much to the INIT sound. https://soundcloud.com/pkmood/rev2-experiment-13-built-in-sound-on-sound-looper

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:50:44 PM by philroyjenkins »

Re: Just discovered a cool trick
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:43:49 AM »

nice ... thanks
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

dsetto

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »
Nice. ... What do you mean by sound looper?

I haven't tried to understand what you're doing yet. But I truly enjoyed simply listening to your exploration.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »
Nice. ... What do you mean by sound looper?

I haven't tried to understand what you're doing yet. But I truly enjoyed simply listening to your exploration.

Sound on sound looper is commonly used to describe a way of looping, or repeating your playing back to you seemingly infinitely.

This is often used to describe the effect when you turn a delays feedback all of the way up, but it is typical of a delays sound quality to degrade the more times it its repeated so it isn't quite a looper. (analog delays at least.)

What this trick is basically doing is making use of the REV2s Hold feature to sustain any notes you play infinitely. (In fact you can achieve a similar effect on a synth without a Hold feature just by turning the release all of the way up.)

When using the Hold button, it holds the notes at their Sustain rate. Attack, decay, and release typically don't apply because the hold function is basically an imaginary finger holding the note for you. You don't get to hear the other stages.

What I've done is use a Reverse Saw LFO to simulate a natural decay to silence of a plucked note. Since we keytrack this LFO, it triggers whenever a new note is pressed and therefore it sounds and feels just like your playing individually plucked notes (even though in reality they are sustaining forever.) The Rev2 has what is called Poly LFOS, which allows each note you hit to follow the its own cycle from the moment you hit it to the moment the LFO loops back on itself.

The repetition of the reverse saw length corresponds with the LFO speed and give the impression that the note is repeating over and over again infinitely (or until you use up your voice limit.)

Hope this helps!

dsetto

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 01:16:31 AM »
^that^ is cool. So you didn't use an external looper. I figured "sound looper" was an iOS looper. Well done! ... Moreso, good vibe.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 11:15:24 AM »
What a sweet trick! Doing this with a faster LFO and Random shape can produce some interesting random sounding arpeggios!

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
What a sweet trick! Doing this with a faster LFO and Random shape can produce some interesting random sounding arpeggios!

This is a really fun trick!  I copied your faster LFO random shape alternative patch and had a blast with some arpeggios.