List of Current Major Bugs?

List of Current Major Bugs?
« on: March 19, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone have a list of the main bugs that exist after the final OS?

Is the sync drift when the Tempest is slaved still a thing? I've started to go through the 47 pages but would appreciate if an experienced user can chime in with a short summary of the larger issues (outside of trivial bugs or annoyances) that may exist.

I haven't used a Tempest but have a trade offer that I'll need to decide on quickly. I've read a lot of polarized opinions which has led me here.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:34:47 PM by Polysix »

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
Re: List of Current Major Bugs?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:12:16 PM »
Nothing major. DEFINATELY worth the purchase man. Most of the polarizing opinions were from early firmware Developement. So many new features and fixes have occurred. Bite the bullet! You won’t be sorry. My favourite synth 100%
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 02:43:31 AM »
well...
bugs are ok. it's a nice tool to use and program. I have it side to maschine and i definitly prefer to program sounds from scratch on tempest rather than aaaaaall what's available in maschine.

BUT. watch out. I'm here to find infos about switch problems. This is more serious than bugs imo. most of my switchs are fucked because loosing contact. Not sure why.. need cleaning maybe ?

also samples have always been a limitation on tempest. Look at the https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-rytm-mkii/
That would be my buy these days (for le$$)

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 12:31:10 AM »
BUT. watch out. I'm here to find infos about switch problems. This is more serious than bugs imo. most of my switchs are fucked because loosing contact. Not sure why.. need cleaning maybe ?

I have had zero hardware issues with mine and I've had it for years!

also samples have always been a limitation on tempest. Look at the https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-rytm-mkii/
That would be my buy these days (for le$$)

The analog rytm is a completely different beast. Better for some maybe, personally I'd stick with my Tempest any day of the week. Tempest is a proper synth.

I'm debating whether to do a YouTube vid on why the Tempest is possibly the most misunderstood piece of synth hardware of all time. The fact DSI chose 'Analog Drum Machine' is very misleading. 'Analog Drum Synth' would be better but really it's a kick-ass multitimbral analog polysynth with an extremely flexible sequencer and two digital oscillators per voice to boot. There really is nothing else like it out there in the analog domain terms of overall flexibility IMO. It's like having six DFAMs in one box!

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

RobH

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »
I’ll also say I’ve had my Tempest years now and can say that I’ve had zero quality problems and all switches buttons pads and dials work perfectly as they should even after copious amounts of bashing twisting turning and wiggling it’s a great piece of equipment.

Also I’ve been on this forum quite a while and have heard many software problems with the Tempest (before this latest firmware which sorted the Tempest out really well) but I’ve not heard more than one complaint about quality and that was to do with 1/4” jacks so I think it’s just unlucky if your switches are having problems!

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »
Do anyone else but me experience a freeze when trying to live record play lists with 16 beats activated?

dsetto

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 01:17:04 AM »
Molodin- are you on last OS?
--
On Analog Drum Machine. I assume "machine" cause sequencer.
--
all my T's hardware has been solid, too.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 01:51:48 AM »
Yes:

Tempest Main OS: 1.5.0.2
Voice: 1.5
Sam: 1.1
Panel: 1.3

Does it work for you?

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 02:33:51 AM »
I'm debating whether to do a YouTube vid on why the Tempest is possibly the most misunderstood piece of synth hardware of all time. The fact DSI chose 'Analog Drum Machine' is very misleading. 'Analog Drum Synth' would be better but really it's a kick-ass multitimbral analog polysynth with an extremely flexible sequencer and two digital oscillators per voice to boot. There really is nothing else like it out there in the analog domain terms of overall flexibility IMO.
This is exactly how I feel about the Tempest!

I think Tempest catches a lot of hate because of this! People buying one thinking they are getting a "drum-machine". Where you have dedicate signal paths for instruments and well understood knobs, like tone and decay etc. On the Tempest tho, there are no such things, which over complicates things, but also gives user soooo much freedom.
Once it "clicks", once the user gets what it is, its bloody brilliant.
But the sequencer? I find it utterly boring and extremely poor. Thats why I bought an external sequencer and do all my magic from that. Gives me tons of more capabilities!

RobH

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 04:24:36 AM »
Which sequencer are you using Joosep , this is why I’m thinking about trigger > midi, and I have some sequencers for the synth part also beatstep, sq2 and some software sequencers.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 05:29:35 AM »
Which sequencer are you using Joosep , this is why I’m thinking about trigger > midi, and I have some sequencers for the synth part also beatstep, sq2 and some software sequencers.
I am using the Squarp Pyramid.
Gives me access to polymeters (different length tracks) and polyrhythms (different time signatures). Also not to mention some awesome MIDI gymnastics ;)

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 04:49:37 PM »
I actually really enjoy the sequencer for the Tempest. I usually do a project and set up a play list, set a midi channel to an external synth (sometimes multiple synths layered on the same channel) for a bass line, hit play and just play my other gear.

I'm still looking at the Pioneer SP-16 as another drum machine/main sequencer as well....but I'm never getting rid of the Tempest. No way.

As far as "Analog Drum Machine" or "Analog Drum Synth" I have always called it the Tempest Drum Computer.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 12:21:59 AM »
But the sequencer? I find it utterly boring and extremely poor. Thats why I bought an external sequencer and do all my magic from that. Gives me tons of more capabilities!

Again, it falls into a slightly 'between two stools' category. It's fairly lacking for what you expect from a full-on drum sequencer, and it's certainly lacking compared to a dedicated hardware sequencer - but it's way, way above what you'd get on most synths.

Personally I don't find it boring at all. Quite the opposite actually, generally I find it intuitive and fun for bashing out ideas but frustrating when it comes to putting together a full arrangement. This is a problem with many sequencers (even hybrid setups like Maschine). Plus you can't sequence the fx sliders externally (big shame). The lack of polyrhythms / different length sequences per beat is a setback though.

What I really like though is the fact you can design complex, evolving 'mini-beats' that get triggered from an external sequencer (or sampled) like an individual sound would normally. It's really, really good for stuff like that.

I've bought a Deluge for more complex hardware sequencing (it's great) but I haven't really paired it up with the Tempest yet. Too busy messing around with my first few eurorack modules!

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 02:06:45 AM »
Plus you can't sequence the fx sliders externally (big shame).
Your Deluge can sequence MIDI CC messages. And you can use the modulation matrix inside the Tempest to modulate any parameter. As an example, MIDI CC 4 corresponds to the "foot pedal" inside Tempest modulation sources.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 05:27:57 AM »
Plus you can't sequence the fx sliders externally (big shame).
Your Deluge can sequence MIDI CC messages. And you can use the modulation matrix inside the Tempest to modulate any parameter. As an example, MIDI CC 4 corresponds to the "foot pedal" inside Tempest modulation sources.

Is that correct? I thought foot pedal 1 and 2 were for the expression pedal inputs?

That is a good idea though, there are a couple more MIDI source options in the mod matrix as opposed to allocating via the fx sliders and I hadn't thought of doing that. It has 'MIDI breath' and 'MIDI expression' which for some reason aren't directly allocatable via the sliders!

Just need to get Rohan to add pitch bend sequencing to the Deluge and that's be all four slider fx covered (assuming 'breath' and 'expression' are standard ccs which I think they are).  ;)

EDIT: Damn, just realised that's still really limiting as those control sources are shared across all sounds aren't they? Still, better than nowt...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:18:45 AM by muleskinner »

RobH

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
Muleskinner do I detect a fellow Yorkshireman “better than nowt” xD

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 10:12:40 PM »
EDIT: Damn, just realised that's still really limiting as those control sources are shared across all sounds aren't they? Still, better than nowt...
Yes this is true, but atleast you can have one pad/sound on a different MIDI channel, giving it its own CCs.
All in all I quite like they are on the shared tbh. Gives me the option to control the filter of multiple sounds at once, but not all, exactly what I want for performances.

And yes btw, there are multiple ones, like MIDI breath etc...

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »

Haha no, but my wife grew up there (though she's actually Welsh) and I have family there. Fantastic part of the world though!

I've just watched too much Coronation Street in my life!

RobH

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 04:05:21 AM »

Haha no, but my wife grew up there (though she's actually Welsh) and I have family there. Fantastic part of the world though!

Lmao never heard a non Englishman use that phrase! Damn right you’ve watched too much Corrie!!! Gail would be proud xd

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 07:38:59 AM »

Lmao never heard a non Englishman use that phrase! Damn right you’ve watched too much Corrie!!! Gail would be proud xd

I am English - just not from Yorkshire! I'm a Londoner, though currently residing near Bath (where I intend to stay)!