Raw oscillator

Re: Raw oscillator
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 05:54:59 PM »
Soundquest: I made a small change to the attachments permissions. PDF was already an allowed attachment type, but perhaps the change will help. I tried uploading a PDF of the P12 manual as a test just above this post and it worked. Please try your attachment again.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

W07

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 06:34:42 PM »
I think, it is true the oscillators on the P12 aren't as beefy and in-your face as other VCO and DCO ones, but by layering a saw with a sine osc, or a saw with another saw with a slightly different waveshape (no detuning, use the 2 leftover oscs for that) you can get a lot more booty.

Character section only sounds nice in low values, small amounts, and doesn't do that much for presence. I like to use them tracked to the keyboard or modulated by aftertouch and velocity to give a bit of livelyness, though.
A low HPf with some res and a bit of keytrack is also good. Keeping oscillator levels low, if you're using 4 don't go above 60, will have a much nicer tone.
I was using drive a lot at first, but these days i use smaller amounts, usually modulated with lfo/velocity/envelopes/AT.

But mostly, this is a true poly! the way the voices interact, when using pan spread and slop, stretch tuning etc...is wonderful, the sum is really greater then the parts.
With this amount of polyphony and modulation-colouring, it's a good thing it doesn't overpower the mix too fast.

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 03:14:33 AM »
This wasn't really ready yet, so excuse the abrupt ending and poor editing, but this short video shows the difference between the raw sawtooth waveform on both the P12 and REV2.

It also highlights the differences between the default 'basic Program' setting of each synth as I mentioned in an earlier post about how you can clearly hear the release time of the VCA on the P12 is longer than the REV2, even though all the values of the sounds are are shown as being the same.

The sound played at the beginning was a lead I first programmed on the P12 and then replicated on the REV2 btw. :)

Anyway...enjoy, but be warned, it's a bit geeky! :)

https://youtu.be/lBrsTpC2lUI

I like geeky, especially when it’s music related. 

Alas after seeing your video it made me think there is something up with my P12 as the comparison between its raw oscillator and my Rev 2 is much more stark.

Started investigating a bit deeper at that point and did the same test out of outputs B and got a very different result.  Looks like it might be repair shop for the old girl. 

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 12:30:51 PM »
Sorry to hear you've an issue with your outputs, but pleased if my video help diagnose it.

I'm sure the guys at DSI support will get you sorted quickly as they were excellent with me when I had a faulty REV2.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on :)

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »
Soundquest: I made a small change to the attachments permissions. PDF was already an allowed attachment type, but perhaps the change will help. I tried uploading a PDF of the P12 manual as a test just above this post and it worked. Please try your attachment again.

Thanks Robot Heart for the fix. I'm a novice with PDF.  I'm thinking its more something on my end. 
I'll eventually get it back up here in another format.  Thanks again.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 10:29:20 PM »
I managed to get the A outputs working the same as the B outputs by reloading the firmware. After that was all good.

The oscillators are still quite a bit quieter than all my other synths though but I assume this is likely deliberate due to the 4 Oscillator design to avoid over-driving the signal path