forum glitch deletes posts ?!

forum glitch deletes posts ?!
« on: March 19, 2018, 01:52:46 AM »
So apparently a forum glitch deleted posts here, which I’m kinda half pleased in this case as I thought they were deleting my thread about oscillator comparisons due to what I said about the P12 vs the Rev 2 vs the Virus Ti.

Apologies to them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:14:49 AM by Frocktar »

Re: Why’d you delete my thread DSI?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 02:08:27 AM »
That didn't happen because of your post. It seems like everything was lost on this forum that was posted after March 9/10 (depending on the time zone you're living in) as of yesterday. It's a technical issue, nothing personal.

Re: Why’d you delete my thread DSI?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 03:09:06 AM »
Really?!

Oh man I’m soooo happy to hear that. I was truly dismayed that they’d behave like that.

You’ve made my day!

Sacred Synthesis

Re: forum glitch deletes posts ?!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 10:00:08 AM »
Frocktar,

I understand and share the concern that DSI would patrol this forum, looking for and deleting any and all critical remarks about their instruments.  But this just isn't the way they operate.  Regarding your comments on another thread about the quality of Prophet 12 oscillators: in the past, I've posted comments that were quite critical of the instrument.  By comparison, your comments were mild.  Not once did DSI warn me or delete any of my comments.  They allowed free discussion of the instrument and all the various opinions that it brought to the forum. 

What DSI will not tolerate is an unnecessarily rude remark, and especially, whining and wailing about some aspect of an instrument that an individual simply does not like, and the pig pile of wise-guy ranting and joking that often follows.  But even then, DSI's first response is only a polite warning.  Forum threads can quickly degenerate into ugly exchanges by characters who thrive on this sort of behavior, but who wants to read it?  And that's another aspect.  People get sick of such forums because they're overly negative.

Do not fear to post on this forum serious comments on an instrument - whether complimentary or critical - as long as they're made in a decent and courteous way.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:52:28 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »
Would love to hear what DSI have to say on the reason for the deleted posts and if changes will be made to avoid this in the future. Fun fact is that the old forum at some point lost weeks of posts and later all the attached files were gone too. Site maintenance is hard work even when outsourced!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 02:47:14 PM »
"Recent Unread posts" now works for me now, never did before. Maybe they updated some software on the forum?

Edit: actually it still isn't working :(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:49:21 PM by BobTheDog »

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 06:40:29 AM »
As someone who does web programming for a living, there are a number of ultimate causes, but I'm guessing if comments after a certain date were lost, then something happened to the database or its server that stores the posts, and it had to be restored from an older backup. It happens, and backup strategies are tough to test without actually using them.

I'd guess this forum is hosted on a small server or server/db combo, and unfortunately things like hardware failures can and do happen...as can any number of human or software errors.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!