Undocumented Sysex message?

Undocumented Sysex message?
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:50:35 AM »
Hi everybody! This is my first post here. But I have been reading loads of all your stuff on this forum for a while. And that was very usefull! Thanx!

I have a question about a SysEx-message that I could not find any info on in the user-manual.
The message gets send by the SoundTower Editor Sends after sending a "Program Edit Buffer Data Dump" message.

The sysex message in question is:

F0.01.20.01.10.00.1A.F7
__.__.__.__.??.??.??.__

I am documenting all the SysEx messages from the manual,
and putting down the Hex-strings because my binary is a bit rusty.
I will post it in the attachment. Any errors or question are welcome ofcourse.

Are there any more SysexMessages that are not in the manual that you know about? Or know what the unknown message is?

Please advice! Thank you!

chysn

Re: Undocumented Sysex message?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 11:12:21 AM »
It's likely just an error on SoundTower's part. Maybe it was intended to be something else (it seems somewhat close to the program dump request), or maybe it comes from code left behind from another project, maybe meant to target another instrument.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:19:31 PM »
It's likely just an error on SoundTower's part. Maybe it was intended to be something else (it seems somewhat close to the program dump request), or maybe it comes from code left behind from another project, maybe meant to target another instrument.
Thanx for your reply! That was what I was thinking as well... But because the whole Evolver header was used I thought it might be something that was left out in the user-manual.

Thanx!

chysn

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 06:12:42 AM »
It's possible that there's a method in the code that constructs SysEx messages by prepending the same header to everything going out. This would make an erroneous and meaningless message look like an Evolver message.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 05:28:55 AM »
I have just proven us both wrong...  :)

I thought what will PEK respond if I send it the mysterious message.
- So I opened up two instances of Sysex-Librarian. One for the sending of the SysEx message, and one for catching the PEK's response if there would be any.
- Just to be sure, I closed Evolver-Editor. So I would not interfere with any SysEx messages.
- I loaded the mysterious message into the first instance of Sysex-Librarian
- Then in the second instance of Sysex-Librarian I clicked on "record many".

I got a response of the PEK:
F0.01.20.01.11.00.1A.426172744272614C2020202020202020.F7
__.__.__.__.^^.B#.P#.16BYTE_NAMEDATA_16BYTE_NAMEDATA_.__

And that one is mentioned in the manual as a "Program Name Data Dump" message.
So or I just could not find this message in the manual... or it was omitted by mistake.

So the message is a "Request for a Program Name Data Dump"

F0.01.20.01.10.00.1A.F7
__.__.__.__.^^.B#.P#.__

Where:
10 means "Request Program Name Data Dump".
B# means "Bank Number".
P# means "Program Number".

chysn

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 07:21:04 AM »
Very cool, nice detective work!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his