polychain just desktop evolvers

polychain just desktop evolvers
« on: March 05, 2018, 01:12:03 PM »
Hi, is it possible to chain just desktop evolvers to f.eg.4 voices? I have no room for keys and Poly evolver rack has too little control for me.
Cheers

chysn

Re: polychain just desktop evolvers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 02:44:36 PM »
I think you need at least one keyboard for this, the reason being that the Desktop Evolver doesn't have a parameter to determine how many poly chained voices are in the system.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 04:15:48 PM »
Thanks for useful info!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 07:54:22 PM »
I checked the manual, and surprisingly, couldn't find an answer.

Peter Hanes

• Evolver, PolyEvolver
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »
Hi, is it possible to chain just desktop evolvers to f.eg.4 voices? I have no room for keys and Poly evolver rack has too little control for me.
Cheers

Although I can’t test this myself, I think that it is likely to work. The desktop (mono) Evolver knows that it is monophonic and therefore simply passes all but the first-received MIDI Note message to its MIDI Out port if its Poly Chain setting is activated. Any subsequent desktop Evolvers will do the same.

chysn

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 04:23:20 PM »
Cheers

Although I can’t test this myself, I think that it is likely to work. The desktop (mono) Evolver knows that it is monophonic and therefore simply passes all but the first-received MIDI Note message to its MIDI Out port if its Poly Chain setting is activated. Any subsequent desktop Evolvers will do the same.

But at some point, you're going to expect the first Evolver in the chain to play a second note. If there's no voice number parameter, how does it know when to play again?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Peter Hanes

• Evolver, PolyEvolver
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 07:31:26 AM »
Cheers

But at some point, you're going to expect the first Evolver in the chain to play a second note. If there's no voice number parameter, how does it know when to play again?

I’m not in front of my Evolvers or the manuals right now, but I believe that any mono desktop Evolver that has its Poly Chain setting activated will play the first MIDI note that it receives and pass on any other notes that arrive while the first note is playing to its MIDI Out port.

This is how it works when I chain my PER after my desktop Evolver.

So the first Evolver in the chain will play the first note it receives after receiving the Note Off message for the previous note that it played.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:36:28 AM by Peter Hanes »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 12:53:04 AM »
Desktop Evolvers are the original and the polychain function has been there since the beginning, so yes, you should be able to polychain four Desktop Evolvers.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 01:05:16 AM »
I have 3 desktops, the desktops do not count on the poly-chain!
It starts with the next note if there is no more Desktop in the Chain to play it! ;-)

The 1st Desktop must have Poly-Chain set to ALL, and Midi Clock set to OUT, Midi Xmit = ALL
the 2nd Desktop Poly-Chain set to All, and Midi Clock set to I-O, Midi Rec = ALL, Midi Xmit = ALL
" " "
the last Desktop Poly-Chain set to Off, and Midi Clock set to IN, Midi Rec = ALL

And all of them need the same Midi channel